Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, not sure if this has been discussed. I have done a search but didn't find anything. Why are there 2 metal rods in the gas tank? this is preventing me from inserting the gas nozzle all the way in the tank for the inital pump. Rather, i have to insert the nozzle half way in and pull on the flange to manually pump the gas. I would like to do the initial pump with the nozzle all the way in until it stops and then take it out and manually pump it for the last gallon. what are those bars for? Some pumps allow me to insert the nozzle all the way in but most don't

·
Registered
22 Posts
no one has the same issue as me when filling gas?
I?m not sure where you?re located but here in CA none of our pumps will pump gas while holding the nozzle in the fuel tank of a motorcycle. We have to pull the smog curtain back and hold the pump just outside the tank. Some companies sell a device to help with fueling.

·
Registered
235 Posts
i too, since day 1, have had to use both hands to fuel.. one hand to pull back the rubber piece to let the fuel engage as if it was inserted further

very annoying but the tank only takes a couple gallons to fill so its not that bad.. i would hate to this to a full 12 gallon tank tho

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m in California. I am able to insert the nozzle into the fuel tank without pulling the outer hose back and fuel without any issues. I can even lock the handle to auto fuel and it shuts off perfectly when the tank is full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
I’m in California. I am able to insert the nozzle into the fuel tank without pulling the outer hose back and fuel without any issues. I can even lock the handle to auto fuel and it shuts off perfectly when the tank is full.

I'm not in California, but I just insert the pump nozzle in until it bags against that metal rod, and let it fuel just like I would a car (I can use the lever holder or whatever). It clicks off normally, usually a tad bit premature so I put in another litre or so.

So basically, no difficulties here.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think it depends on the gas station when I first got the bike and started to fuel could just put in the nozzle and pump. Was gassing at a new station I've never been to before and when I tried to pump gas couldn't figure out why it wasn't working till a buddy informed me that you need to pull back the rubber piece on the handle before you can start fuelling. So ya like some of the other riders here, pumping gas has been a 2 handed procedure.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm not in Cali either..but I slowly slide the shaft into the hole and start to pump. Sometimes if I'm not easy on the pumping it will squirt, so I make sure I only apply half the force to the pumping

·
Registered
22 Posts
If I'm thinking of the same thing....I thought the rods where there to prevent the nozzle from going all the way in so it can fill up higher than some other bikes out there... I can still leave the pump in without holding it. And it does fill the gas pretty high for me so I don't have to manually put in more gas myself if I don't want too.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I use two hands either way because I'm super careful to not get fuel drips on my tank.
That, and it takes all of what... 45 seconds to fill the tank from empty? LOL

I see no reason to put the pump handle in, set the trigger and let go. It's not like we're putting 30 gallons in a truck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, not sure if this has been discussed. I have done a search but didn't find anything. Why are there 2 metal rods in the gas tank? this is preventing me from inserting the gas nozzle all the way in the tank for the inital pump. Rather, i have to insert the nozzle half way in and pull on the flange to manually pump the gas. I would like to do the initial pump with the nozzle all the way in until it stops and then take it out and manually pump it for the last gallon. what are those bars for? Some pumps allow me to insert the nozzle all the way in but most don't
that’s funny. I have the same issue with my r3.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts