Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an R3 2016

Is it Bad that I never use neutral, as in I hold the clutch in when I wait at stops and what not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
Nope that's what you're supposed to do that way if someone isn't paying attention behind you to stop, you may have a chance to get out of the way. Also it's easier to get the bike to 1st coming to a stop than from neutral to 1st while not moving.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope that's what you're supposed to do that way if someone isn't paying attention behind you to stop, you may have a chance to get out of the way. Also it's easier to get the bike to 1st coming to a stop than from neutral to 1st while not moving.

So I'm not damaging the clutch or the lever at all?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Nope, when the lever is fully pulled in the clutch is 100% disengaged, it's basically the same thing as neutral because no power is being delivered to the wheel. The lever won't be harmed, this is exactly how it's meant to be ridden :). The good thing about bike clutches is they're MADE to be slipped unlike a car, so they'll last a very long time even when slipping (not that I'm suggesting you are sitting at a light, you're not).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, when the lever is fully pulled in the clutch is 100% disengaged, it's basically the same thing as neutral because no power is being delivered to the wheel. The lever won't be harmed, this is exactly how it's meant to be ridden :). The good thing about bike clutches is they're MADE to be slipped unlike a car, so they'll last a very long time even when slipping (not that I'm suggesting you are sitting at a light, you're not).

Fosho, thanks man, that really explains A lot

·
Registered
346 Posts
It's not safer... Good luck getting your bike into 1st when an idiot behind you won't stop... You SHOULD be holding in the clutch at a light (I wouldn't if I'm in bumper to bumper not really moving, but otherwise I have the lever in). Really it's all personal preference, but I'd rather be able to get the **** out of the way of a car than not be able to hold the clutch lever down for a minute.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's not safer... Good luck getting your bike into 1st when an idiot behind you won't stop... You SHOULD be holding in the clutch at a light (I wouldn't if I'm in bumper to bumper not really moving, but otherwise I have the lever in). Really it's all personal preference, but I'd rather be able to get the **** out of the way of a car than not be able to hold the clutch lever down for a minute.
You DO make a good point :eek:

·
Registered
199 Posts
No, you're not damaging anything.

It can take a lot of abuse, holding it at a stop light isn't going to do anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts