Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, My name is Manny,

So, basically like the title in the post states, how was your experience? More specifically what would you recommend a newbie (first time riding, will be fresh off the MSF course when I go to dealers to look at what they can do for me after getting my license). I know through blogs or other posts that i've read that it's best to call dealers and negotiate OTD prices and get them to send it through email to have a set price to use to get other deals with other cycle dealers. When you've negotiated with Dealers and they throw-in "goodies" like gear at a flat fee, or they "give" you gear, how does the transaction go about. If they are bundling the items with the bike transaction (bike being financed), will the cost of the gear be included in the finance bill or will you pay for the gear out of pocket? Also, when i've seen people mention OTD, i'm not sure if the price for OTD is quoted when paying all-in-cash or are you being financed? How does one go about paying the taxes and tags themselves, and when is this a viable option?

The reason I am asking is because I want to save up at least 1-1.5K for down payment, insurance cost, and gear. Obviously, I will get some gear before getting the bike but I want to know if the stuff they give you, is really the dealer making a customer happy or if they are simply feeding you bread with blades inside. Meaning, if they are giving you "free" stuff that later bites you in the behind.

Thank you in advance, and I really appreciate any stories relating to this as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm mid way thru this process myself, but I met the dealer in person (i was actually looking for a used bike listed on their website that was gone), and got a printed quote. Didn't negiotaitwe in person as I wasn't sure I wanted to buy a brand new bike. But then I actually sat on the R3 and everything just felt right. He quoted me at about 5680 + an unspecified gear discount.

I sent him a respectable counteroffer via email of 5400, he said he could do 5500 with a gear discount. I replied, saying that that would be ok with a 50% discount on a full set of gear. He agreed to it. Gear is expensive so this will save me at least $300. Based on this forum I like that deal, and it is less than expected so I didn't get quotes from other dealers to play hardball. Perhaps I could have saved 100-200 more if I did, but this dealer is super local which is worth a little.

I now have that in writing from him, so when I go to make the deal official I will make sure that he puts on paper "50% off any worn riding apparel" or something to that effect.

I intend to write a check for the bike, and then pay for the gear with a card separately, which is why I will get it on paper. The dealer is large with a good reputation, but I don't wanna hear "ohh well you can't get thaaaat helmet it has to be a cheaper one" etc etc.

I've never purchased anything from any sort of dealer ever, but this is how I'm doing it. Can't be afraid to demand that things agreed upon end up on paper. The dealer wants to make a sale, and he if he intends to honor agreements he will not be afraid to put it on paper.

Keep in mind that exact prices are regional, and mine includes 6.5% MA tax.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@P51mustang23 see but you are paying cash, I'm trying to finance. I'm still young and need to build some form of record with good standing. My tax is 8% since I'm in SoCal. I am willing to drive out to LA and pick up the bike there if there is a need for it. I know some people here bought from Del Amo in Costa Mesa. I went to that one just to browse and when I got on the R3, it felt so right!

·
Registered
30 Posts
The dealer I dealt with was absolutely awesome. No BS didnt have to haggle price. Saved almost $900 compared to anywhere else i got a price from and didnt even ask for a deal. I bought all my gear before the bike because I didnt want to cheap out on it. Id rather buy proper gear and wait to save up more for the bike than buy the bike and and not have enough to buy the proper gear and just go riding without it. Because there's no way a new bike would have just sat there until I got all the gear. The gear the dealers offered were pretty limited at all the ones I went to and everyhing had "Yamaha" on it. I bought everything online except the helmet because you really have to try a bunch on and make sure the fit is right. If your dealer is going to throw in free gear and you don't already have something, take it. Its better than going without. Unfortunately protection can get expensive, it will be one less thing you'll have to buy. My stuff is pretty modest equipment. Armoured textile jacket & pants opposed to leather, Bell Qualifier dlx helmet, Alpinestar shoes and Icon rain gear. Cost well over $1000 after taxes. I would have gladly taken anything for "free".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer I dealt with was absolutely awesome. No BS didnt have to haggle price. Saved almost $900 compared to anywhere else i got a price from and didnt even ask for a deal. I bought all my gear before the bike because I didnt want to cheap out on it. Id rather buy proper gear and wait to save up more for the bike than buy the bike and and not have enough to buy the proper gear and just go riding without it. Because there's no way a new bike would have just sat there until I got all the gear. The gear the dealers offered were pretty limited at all the ones I went to and everyhing had "Yamaha" on it. I bought everything online except the helmet because you really have to try a bunch on and make sure the fit is right. If your dealer is going to throw in free gear and you don't already have something, take it. Its better than going without. Unfortunately protection can get expensive, it will be one less thing you'll have to buy. My stuff is pretty modest equipment. Armoured textile jacket & pants opposed to leather, Bell Qualifier dlx helmet, Alpinestar shoes and Icon rain gear. Cost well over $1000 after taxes. I would have gladly taken anything for "free".
Yeah, I just graduated with my B.A., i'm working and since my commute to work is around 15 miles and i've always wanted a bike I said F'it and went ahead and signed up for the MSF classes. I think I'm going to check out the CycleGear shop that's in my area, they have amazing deals from what i've heard. Sick gear though!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Pick a dealer that you like and is close by and let them have the sale. They need to stay in buisiness too so don't drive right past them just to save $200. You will then be a good customer and "in the club" when you want to go back to hang around and test ride other new bikes when they come out. Offer them the retail price plus $175 for the shop to prep the bike, plus tax, tags, and $100 for the office girls to do the DMV paperwork so you don't have to stand in line. That is a fair deal for you and them on this hot selling bike. These R3's will sell out this year so they are not going to give them away for any less unless you want to wait for winter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
@P51mustang23 Nice to see another fellow R3 rider from MA. If you don't mind me asking, which dealer are you getting yours from? I'm in Quincy and I bought mine from Billerica Motorsports.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I went to Dillon Brothers in Omaha, Nebraska.

I put a refundable $500 deposit down on the first one that was ready to go. They didn't want to negotiate until the bike had gotten it in and prepared it. That was acceptable to me.

I few weeks/months later I get the call that the red one was ready (which is the color I wanted and have).

They wanted $5600 I offered $5300 they said $5400 + 20-50% discount on gear + 500 and 6000 mile maintenance . I took that offer.

Salesman was professional, paying was painless (spending the money was hard) and everyone congratulated me on a sweet purchase.

Would buy other bikes there and would seek out same salesman. His name is Danny.

They also gave me a free poster it's probably 6 feet long and 4 feet wide. Says "welcome to R world"

Would recommend if in Omaha.

Reactions: FangShui

·
Registered
22 Posts
Went through Costco's website. No haggling, walk into the dealer they set you up with and then the salesmen takes your drivers license and Costco card and calls them up. $5300 out the door in Michigan. Couldn't have been happier with the experience. Also 15% all gear but I bought my gear through Revzilla.

Defiantly recommend Costco for ANY motor vehicle purchase.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Went through Costco's website. No haggling, walk into the dealer they set you up with and then the salesmen takes your drivers license and Costco card and calls them up. $5300 out the door in Michigan. Couldn't have been happier with the experience. Also 15% all gear but I bought my gear through Revzilla.

Great Deal!

With that "defiantly" in there, that's a pretty emphatic recommendation! Much stronger than definitely. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
My dealer in Jacksonville was awesome, will certainly go back to them for my second bike purchase. I went in person to check out the bike and had found on the forum that another NC member scored one for $5300 OTD. I was first quoted at $58__ and asked if they could do better. Their sales/finance guy asked what I was thinking and I told him about the other member's post. He matched it, no questions asked and I told him I needed to look at my numbers to make sure I could pick it up. Later that week I called to make sure he could still do that price, did the financing app over the phone and was instantly approved. I picked up the bike within a week of looking at it and had an awesome first new vehicle purchase. At signing he asked if I wanted to add the warranty and I asked what it would cost. First offer was around $650 and I told him I saw it cheaper on the forum. I added it for $399.

I know warranties are usually a money waster but I put 10k miles on my previous CBR 250r in a year. I want to keep this one for a while and looked at it as cheap insurance. It only added a few dollars extra per month on my payment.

·
Registered
27 Posts
@P51mustang23 see but you are paying cash, I'm trying to finance. I'm still young and need to build some form of record with good standing. My tax is 8% since I'm in SoCal. I am willing to drive out to LA and pick up the bike there if there is a need for it. I know some people here bought from Del Amo in Costa Mesa. I went to that one just to browse and when I got on the R3, it felt so right!
You just have to get pre approved and whatnot. So long as you are employed and don't have a bunch of other debt I think you'd be fine, as it's only about a $4000 loan. They probably just run your credit score and maybe want to see some pay stubs. Maybe bring someone along who has dealt with that before, but if the dealer is good they should walk you through it.

I'm pretty young too, but I'm full time employed / part time student living at home so I have a bit of cash.

@P51mustang23 Nice to see another fellow R3 rider from MA. If you don't mind me asking, which dealer are you getting yours from? I'm in Quincy and I bought mine from Billerica Motorsports.
Getting it from MOM's south in Foxboro, near Gillette. They are good to deal with, and made the transaction happen real fast. They even threw in a Yoshi slip on after we agreed to a fair price. I'm in Walpole; I'd probably die if I had to learn to ride that close to Boston. :eek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@P51mustang23 Yeah, when I went to the dealer I had them run my credit. I had some issues I did not know off. Bullshit collection from my second year in college from some utilities. So I need a co-signer, which my dad is happy to be. So I feel I have that covered. I also work full time and make around 500ish a week. So I feel that in regards to payments they will be ok on that regards.

Any issues that you think will arise because of this?

- Manny.

·
Registered
39 Posts
First, nice user name. I should've made mine BecauseIdoShitLikeThat " I used to say it on last cup" and usually be so drunk that I magically made it more than not.

To get to the point. STAY AWAY FROM FREE! Nothing is free, we all know this.
I called and got quotes from the local dealers. Cheapest was $5,650 OTD and I was financing. (bought a new CB300F cash for $4,600 4 months ago, R3 is way better I just bought it 7/31.)

The closest dealer was willing to do $5,775 and I had offered to put $1k-$2,000 down just to show the banks I wanted to finance the bike. (Really bad Identity theft that lasted from 10/2013 to 11/2014 that we had no idea about. Fortunately 9 months later I'm almost completely clear of it from screaming on the phone, police reports, and insanity. Not to mention family separation. The culprit of course.)

MAKE SURE TO LEAVE THEM BAD FEEDBACK ON THEIR FACEBOOK PAGES AND DONT WRITE WHY. JUST SAY BAD SALESMANSHIP. FB REMOVED MY COMMENTS SAYING IT VIOLATED THEIR COMMUNITY AGREEMENTS.

Here's what the SCUM BAG DEALER DID. I used to work for another dealership that is owned by the same guy, so I was hesitant from the beginning, but it's been 4 years since then and I let old feelings set aside. As we all should do when the time is right.

Aaron, at Sky Powersports Lake Wales, FL. Who is the finance manager illegally forced me to purchase a warranty contract and a battery warranty contract. I caught him the same day and let him know the next day that what he did was very wrong and I wanted the warranty through Cornerstone Power Sports to be cancelled and my money refunded. He was an ass on the phone and then called me the next day and asked for me to come down to the dealership as he stated he had a couple of options for me. I proceeded with his request due to my negligence and when I was just fed up with all the construed lies, I called him a liar and said it repeatedly every time he started lying. Which by the 5th or 6th lie, he started screaming at me in front of my gf and 1 year old son and forced me out of his office of lies and illegal non-sense.

His lie and way he forced me into the warranty contract: I was approved by a so called secondary lender. ThunderRoad Financial, my first thought was 7.99% interest doesn't sound secondary to me. He stated that in order for me to get financed through TF that I had to have a warranty on the bike for half the life of the loan. (60 month loan), so 30 months. He said I have to sell you a 3 year warranty because I can't sell you a 30 month warranty. It's not offered by month, I said ok. I glance at the paperwork and see it's a 2 year warranty. I was then like, ok, so he saved me some money because the bike had a 1 year manufacture warranty. Later, I'm reading the contract and in big BOLD letter's it clearly stated that: THIS CONTRACT IS NOT NEEDED IN ORDER TO RECIEVE FINANCING. I called TF and they also very clearly stated that they have nothing to do with a warranty and their loans. I also thought, why not sell me a Yamaha warranty? I guess Cornerstone Power Sports paid a bigger commission and was probably more money.

I requested to speak to the owner: Roc Northey. Who also does many things that I or any law abiding citizen wouldn't do. I worked for him, I would know. I was told by Aaron that he doesn't speak to customers. Then, I spoke to the general manager. I was a little ruffled and spilled some info to him of what went on at the other dealership that I worked at and that I knew how much they made off the bike when he said that I was upset over the price of the bike. That was not the case. Sky was local and for the extra $125 I didn't mind paying that to keep my business local and my 1 year old out of a longer car ride to another dealer. He then said well I can't do anything about what goes on at the other store. I then said, obviously if you can't keep a thief and liar from doing illegal warranty contracts that's 10 feet away from you. And you herd him screaming at me. That's ridiculous and your company is despicable. He then also got mad. I then said, you're mad over a legitimate comment. What if I lied to you and took your money, then screamed at you in front of your family with a 1 year old. So I suggest you take it at constructive criticism. I'm going to call the attorney general and the warranty place and get my money back.

I called cornerstone. They said I had to cancel it through the dealer and that I had 30 days to do so. I explained that I was kicked out of the dealership finance office and Becky from cornerstone sent me the cancellation form via email.

Key notes: You never have to buy anything extra to secure a motorcycle loan. This idiot Aaron was just trying to take advantage of me and make money for himself. I was approved for $5,600 which is obviously what any dealer should charge for the R3 and I put $1,500 down. I would have used my down payment for an exhaust, fender eliminator, some new gear etc.. but ahole didn't even have me meet with the parts guys because he was worried about his idiotic self.

Hope someone learned something. MAKE SURE TO LEAVE THEM BAD FEEDBACK ON THEIR FACEBOOK PAGES AND DONT WRITE WHY. JUST SAY BAD SALESMANSHIP. FB REMOVED MY COMMENTS SAYING IT VIOLATED THEIR COMMUNITY AGREEMENTS.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Great Deal!

With that "defiantly" in there, that's a pretty emphatic recommendation! Much stronger than definitely.
Haha Exactly! Gotta love autocorrect!

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Carey Cycles, Riverdale, UT. Dealer experience excellent. No bogus add-on charges or other BS some have reported, so my OTD was about $5400. Paying cash always gives you a better negotiating position - that, and I made a healthy down payment before the bike ever hit the showroom floor (makes it easier for the dealer).

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've gotten a lot of bikes and cars, so I know who to deal with. If you ever want a Yamaha/Kawi/Suzuki motorcycle or ATV and are anywhere near Romney, WV, your best bet is going to Romney Cycles. Watch the prices though because their off season prices are better. I saw the GSXRs go up by like $500 this summer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts