Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, thanks for taking the time to look at my thread. So, I'm in the market for a new R3. I called the dealer ship that had the 2015 R3 listed for $4200, so I thought I'd get a better deal off the bat than the 2016 R3 which was listed for $4990. However, when I called the dealer they said it'd be the same price for the 2016 or the 2015. So I wanted to know if that is actually true, that they'd sell the 2015 or 2016 for the same price because it doesn't seem very likely to me. For reference I was quoted $5400 OTD for the 2016 R3. Thanks for reading. Any help is appreciated. The dealer was in NY, but I live in NJ, if that makes any difference.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
So I wanted to know if that is actually true, that they'd sell the 2015 or 2016 for the same price because it doesn't seem very likely to me.
Depends on the dealership and their level of confidence that they can sell the bike at full price
I paid $4990 for my 2016 and at the time, he had two 2015's on the floor at the same price (the dealer prep fee was $25 less because Yamaha's freight charge went up slightly in 2016)

I asked why the bikes were the same price and if they would come down some on the 2015's and they said no. Their exact words were something like "they're the exact same bike so we see no need to come down in price. It's still brand new"

They've since sold the 2015's so people will eventually come along and buy them. Some dealer's come down in price... mine wouldn't though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The 2015 and 2016 have the same list price, The dealer is free to sell at any price they want. For me I wanted the 2015 red paint layout over the 2016 so I bought the 2015. When comparing the OTD price you need to know how much if any of the price is sales tax. The tax is the the one thing that the dealer does not control. When buying out of state You need to know how Your state is going to handle the tax.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Talk to two different dealerships. Pit them against each other on price. Lowest price wins. Works every time. Negotiate for free service, free parts, free gear... Whatever you can get them to give you.

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. One of the dealers actually asked for the offer I got so far, and that's how I got it down to $5400 OTD. I just emailed this offer to another dealer who quoted me $5900, waiting to see how they respond. But thanks for clearing up the pricing confusion. It's just really weird to me that they'd list the 2015 R3 for $4199 MSRP and the 2016 for $4990 MSRP, which means they're charging more fees on the 2015 to equal the 2016 price but I it all depends on the confidence they have that they'll sell it for full price. On the point that Rapid53 made, the dealership I spoke to gave the color as a reason people choose the 2015 over the 2016 as well. One more thing, I just found out about the recall the R3 had in Japan, which could potentially come here. Could I use this information in anyway to my advantage or would the dealership just laugh it off?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks for the replies. One of the dealers actually asked for the offer I got so far, and that's how I got it down to $5400 OTD. I just emailed this offer to another dealer who quoted me $5900, waiting to see how they respond. But thanks for clearing up the pricing confusion. It's just really weird to me that they'd list the 2015 R3 for $4199 MSRP and the 2016 for $4990 MSRP, which means they're charging more fees on the 2015 to equal the 2016 price but I it all depends on the confidence they have that they'll sell it for full price. On the point that Rapid53 made, the dealership I spoke to gave the color as a reason people choose the 2015 over the 2016 as well. One more thing, I just found out about the recall the R3 had in Japan, which could potentially come here. Could I use this information in anyway to my advantage or would the dealership just laugh it off?
It never hurts to try. But I doubt it will get you anywhere. The bike is new and popular, recalls aren't going to drop the price most likely. Especially since the recall is on a relatively low number of bikes, the odds the bike you are buying being affected is small.

What I usually do is get the OTD price from one dealer. Then take that to the other, and ask if they can beat it. If they can, go back to the original dealer with the new number. If they say they can't beat it, usually they will ask you what they can do to earn your business...

That's when you try to throw in the free first service (costs them practically nothing, but will cost you almost $300.

Usually you can get the price down a little before you even step foot into a dealership. It also helps to be willing to go a ways away for the deal. e.g. to the next town over.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
A 2015 might be a "new" machine, but it's already a year older model. Same bike as the 2016 mechanically, but you lose that year of value.
Dealers should be selling the 2015's cheaper, but if they can still get people to pay full-price for them.... they will keep doing it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think it depends on when they got the bikes and how small the shop is. For example, if they got a 2015 in 2015 and it's been sitting since then and they just got a bunch of 2016's in then they will move the old inventory of the 2015's for less $ typically. I just got mine paid for last Thursday and you wouldn't believe all the different prices I got from 2015's to 2016's from the same sales guy/location. They have different "build dates" and I'm getting different arrived for inventory dates and older inventory gets marked down when newer inventory isn't. (of course this could all be bullshit too) There was at least 3 2015's at this dealer, 1 sold before I got there that was cleared for sale to me at a confirmed price to me. I said "ok since you have other 2015 just apply that price to one of the remaining units." He came back with a higher price and said he can't due to losing $. Ok, I've got to go since I'm getting a bad feeling now after all this back and forth. He checked again. They had another one in inventory, not on the floor, that he found that would qualify for the original quoted price. The price difference was only $115 or so. This was all at a huge dealer that deals in high volume as opposed to a small shop of very low volume.

I also said I could show you confirmed prices from even the owners of other shops and the salesguy said "you don't have to, I believe you". When his offers weren't close I needed to leave. Be prepared for the game of , we don't value you as a customer, we value our need for profit. And don't give them your credit card and ID cause they just want to check on a price for you. That's just a scam tactic. They only need them when you see the finance guy to make the sale go through.

Another time I walked in to a large shop, saw the quad I wanted right in the entryway and it was nicely discounted. I figured list plus fees but I asked for the displayed price OTD. "I'll be right back, OK let's write it up". It was a GREAT price and maybe I could have gotten it lower but who cares as the current same quad is now $5000 more at the retail level.

There should be a Sticky Thread for all the buyers hints, tips, experiences, etc. for helping new buyers with their buying adventures. Maybe there is already something like this but I'm too lazy to search lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts