Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have my bike (yet) but my gear arrived and I have a few questions. Do the liners that come with jackets and pants really help with wicking away sweat? For summer riding, the extra material seems like it would make me sweat more.

And, does taking out the sweat-wicking liner detract from the amount of protection?

Also, the boots I ordered were slightly big on me, but they're only available in full sizes. I normally wear a 10, but these have a little room for my feet to slide around in. It's not much, maybe a quarter to half an inch of wiggle room. Would this be a problem in the event I go down? I'm a bit weary about exchanging for a size smaller and having those be too tight.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I'm not sure if I like wicking materials. The sweat has to go somewhere, so just because it pulls it from your body, doesn't mean it's the best thing. I also feel like yes it would make you sweat more. I don't like that soggy feeling of wicking garments when it does its job. Taking out the liner won't lessen your abrasion protection.

As for boots, I wear my boots big, both riding and work. I've been down and my boots did their job just fine.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
**** that was a quick reply! You work PM shift like I do?

Anywho, good to know cuz I still have a few more pounds to shed, and I was hoping to do without those liners. Maybe they'll be useful in the winter months when it's not too wet to ride.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Once you get going over 25 mph on a bike, anything vented feels geat.
Even good leather gear has the right venting and perforations.

Street boots a bit large is fine.

Race boots. i go almost exact fit.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
**** that was a quick reply! You work PM shift like I do?

Anywho, good to know cuz I still have a few more pounds to shed, and I was hoping to do without those liners. Maybe they'll be useful in the winter months when it's not too wet to ride.
Nah, I'm just overseas in Japan,so my reply times are pretty odd.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I can't answer your question about liner because no leather jacket I have owned has had one...but in regards to boots I have roughly the same amount of wiggle room as you. I find that when you are riding in the heat my feet seem to swell up a little bit and if I got an "exact fit" with no movement of the toes etc I wouldn't be comfortable.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I make it a habit to wear gear (boots, jacket, gloves and jeans) when riding. The riders around here ride in T-shirts, shorts, trainers, no gloves cause of the heat, I think they're crazy and they must be thinking the same about me, but at least I know who will fair worse if anything should happen.

I wear a Komine mesh jacket which is much better than my Alpinestars T-Jaws jacket, as it lets in more air and has the protection for elbows, shoulders and back but poor abrasion protection which is a sacrifice when riding in 30+ Celsius heat which is better than just a T-shirt.

My boots are Alpinestars SMX6v2, these are the same size as all the other shoes I wear. They're a snug fit and my toes don't wriggle which proves it is good a fit, which I find makes kicking the gear shift more prominent and foot brake more responsive. The last thing I want is mis-kicks on the gear shift and mushy feel from the rear brake when this is pressed due to loose fitting boots just to be able to wriggle my toes.

Anyway, each to their own ... different strokes for different folks ... ride with whatever you are comfortable with regardless of what others think, it's your bike and your life.

Also, last week I had a chat with a guy from the Philippines who showed me a photo on his bike in just flip-flops. I chuckled, commenting "You're a brave guy riding in just flip-flops" to which he chuckled back, and then proceeded to taking off his left shoe, and to my dismay his two small toes were missing ...

Reactions: savagebasher

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you have the means, buy a Summer set up and a Winter one. Not sure where you are, but here in Phoenix (also known as Satan's living room) most riders have Summer mesh jackets/short cuff gloves as well as Leather (perforated) jackets/gauntlet gloves.

As for the wicking materials, like Kojiiro said, the sweat has to go somewhere. In this case it's most likely transferred to the outer shell of your gear and it's gonna get pretty ripe quick. The boots should be a little big, your feet will swell a little while riding and cramped toes will ruin any ride.

Post some pics when you get the bike and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yea its 100 F here in Texas everyday. I wear a perforated leather jacket... its actually not bad when you are moving. The heat is tolerable if you ride morning or evening, but you are guaranteed to arrive a sweaty mess whenever you are going. That's really the most annoying part, I can just take it somewhere without looking like I just came out of a sauna.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts