Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently (within the past 2 months) bought the '21 R3 and was looking to upgrade some stuff for the track/street.

I was looking to install frame sliders for the fairing and haven't seen anything about anyone installing cut frame sliders for the '21. I purchased the Womet-Tech cut sliders and was wondering if they'd fit or if anyone else has purchased them.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for exhaust and/or rearsets that are compatible for reverse gear shifting with the R3?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and Congrats on the new bike. Top left of this page, click on "Forums", and it'll take you to a sorted list of topics and previous discussions. It's a place to start while you're waiting on someone to chime in.
The R3 has been out since 2015, with not many changes, so chances are what you're asking has already been kick started in those past discussions.(y)

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've installed cut sliders on the older style fairing so if you've got any questions about lining up the drill points or making the cut, fire away. I believe most brands of cut sliders come with a template to mark out where to cut, but my Woodcraft ones didn't which made it a nightmare.

Pro tip: use a scalpel to tidy up the final cut. Don't use a file.

Here's a video of them being installed on a 2019 bike which I believe is the same for your bike?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello, I recently (within the past 2 months) bought the '21 R3 and was looking to upgrade some stuff for the track/street.

I was looking to install frame sliders for the fairing and haven't seen anything about anyone installing cut frame sliders for the '21. I purchased the Womet-Tech cut sliders and was wondering if they'd fit or if anyone else has purchased them.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for exhaust and/or rearsets that are compatible for reverse gear shifting with the R3?

Thank you!
Hey,
In regards to the frame sliders the TST ones are great. I’ve had an accident on them with my R6 in the street and they are great for low speed falls or if you drop your bike. On the track I personally prefer not to use frame sliders. I have an R3 that when The previous owner fell the frame was twisted and the frame sliders broke my valve cover. For the track all I use are case covers (wood crafts or GB racing), I have low sided 3 time with them and ended up running the bike after.
If there are any basic mods I’d recommend you to start with is fork sliders, levers that work for you, update the brake system (fluid, SS lines, and better pad vezrah RJL s are great for either street or track).
If you’re gonna track it atleast 4 times a season update your front and rear suspension, and add rearsets (I use vortex and wood crafts and they are great). If you are trying to do this on a budget Norton Motorsports sells risers that allow the clearance and adjustability of aftermarket rearsets for $85. I ran this half of last season. I wouldn’t add an exhaust unless your having clearance issues or you’re gonna race; use the money for a track day or a course.
Full system exhausts are expensive ($800) and after you must change the air filter ($90), add block off plates ($30), and reset the ECU ($290). If you want it for the sound then get a slip on but that may only give you 1-2 extra hp after you tune the ECU.
Check Motojitsu on YouTube he explains this when he added a slip on to his CBR300.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hey,
In regards to the frame sliders the TST ones are great. I’ve had an accident on them with my R6 in the street and they are great for low speed falls or if you drop your bike. On the track I personally prefer not to use frame sliders. I have an R3 that when The previous owner fell the frame was twisted and the frame sliders broke my valve cover. For the track all I use are case covers (wood crafts or GB racing), I have low sided 3 time with them and ended up running the bike after.
If there are any basic mods I’d recommend you to start with is fork sliders, levers that work for you, update the brake system (fluid, SS lines, and better pad vezrah RJL s are great for either street or track).
If you’re gonna track it atleast 4 times a season update your front and rear suspension, and add rearsets (I use vortex and wood crafts and they are great). If you are trying to do this on a budget Norton Motorsports sells risers that allow the clearance and adjustability of aftermarket rearsets for $85. I ran this half of last season. I wouldn’t add an exhaust unless your having clearance issues or you’re gonna race; use the money for a track day or a course.
Full system exhausts are expensive ($800) and after you must change the air filter ($90), add block off plates ($30), and reset the ECU ($290). If you want it for the sound then get a slip on but that may only give you 1-2 extra hp after you tune the ECU.
Check Motojitsu on YouTube he explains this when he added a slip on to his CBR300.
THIS ^ is the best advise I've ever read about setting up an R3 for the street/track. I have the TST cut sliders on my 2019 (same style as the 2021). They are awesome, and pretty easy to install. Take your time with the lay-out/template, and everything lines up perfect. Put money into tires & suspension before doing exhaust. Get some rider education, and track coaching. You don't actually "need" rear sets until you start dragging the "feelers" on the ends of the pegs. Even then, you can remove the "feelers" for extra clearance. Once you start dragging the ends of the actual the pegs, it's obviously time for rear sets, or at a minimum adapter plates.

·
Registered
353 Posts
@crystian11 - that's what I run, but I don't track this bike. Another thing to note since everyone's on this topic is that frame sliders can flip the bike by hooking into the ground. This can cause a lot more damage, particularly at high speeds - hence the need for engine covers instead.

·
Registered
163 Posts
To answer the question about reverse gear shifting. As far as I am aware any rear set is compatible with reverse gear shifting. You can even reverse it with stock rear sets. I like reverse gear shifting, I used it.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
@crystian11 Another thing to note since everyone's on this topic is that frame sliders can flip the bike by hooking into the ground.
Unless I'm mistaken, isn't this the reason TST offers their cut sliders in two lengths, Race (short) and Street (not short)? I think there's only about 1/2" difference between the two.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts