Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Questions regarding modifying performance

8K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Spacep0d 
I have a full exhaust and a custom tune...

I use my bike mostly for commuting to work and the occasional canyon cruises. I used to race motocross and had a cruiser in the past, but this is my first time on a sport bike. I feel like the bike came from the factory as a pretty well rounded awesome package. The suspension and tires could be better, but they are good enough for what I'm using the bike for. I wanted to get some growl from the engine so I dived into the full exhaust. I wasn't really looking for a big push in power. The bike frankly came from the factory with more than enough power for me. I surprised to feel such an increase in power though when I put on the custom map. The tuner claims a 12% increase in power with his map. The power band is completely different now and the bike pulls. The bike is just so much fun to ride and I have even more power to spare. I occasionally get on it. I don't track the bike, but if I did I would have gone a completely different route. The brake lines, suspension and tires would have been first on my list. As a commuter with a small boost of power for some fun..... I'm very happy with the route I chose with my setup.

I hear you on the suspension.... I've had about 4 125cc dirt bikes back in the day. I ended up buying a YZ 125 from a professional racer. I had the MCR suspension set up specifically for my weight and riding style and holy crap..... my skills on pretty much every part of track were night and day.

My previous road bike was a 2003 Yamaha V-Star 650. EVERYTHING on the R3 is far superior to anything on the V-Star when it comes to performance and that really helps me appreciate my R3 lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.