Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I heard about those quick shifters, that supposedly help to shift gear without clutch.

What do you think about them? are they good?

If so, can you suggest one for the R3?

I'm still a rookie on my bike, i thought this could make things easier :D

Thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hey guys,

I heard about those quick shifters, that supposedly help to shift gear without clutch.

What do you think about them? are they good?

If so, can you suggest one for the R3?

I'm still a rookie on my bike, i thought this could make things easier :D

Thanks
They are for racing, not street.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here's my take, riding with any sort of electronic aid takes away from your skillset. Let's say you learn to ride on a bike with traction control, anti lock brakes, shift assist, etc, you will come to rely on those aids and when you have to ride something without them you will be in trouble. If you are a rookie, investing in your skills is an investment that stays with you no matter what bike you are riding. Buying hardware for your bike is not a recoverable investment. For less than you pay for a quickshifter, you can take Lee Parks Total Control Advanced Rider Course. I have personally witnessed people walk up to Lee and tell them this course saved their lives. If this particular course is not available in your area seek some sort of training above the MSF basic rider course. My wife and l will do at least one training session every year, even repeating stuff we have already done. Track day riding schools can be intimidating to new riders, look for one that is offering a specific "rookie day" if you decide to do a track day. The beauty of Lee Parks course is that it is taught in a parking lot at about 20mph. You are never more than 40 feet from an instructor and you are the center of their attention while you are doing the exercises.

·
Registered
856 Posts
For racing only, (preferably with race shift)

outside of that I do not recommend except for maybe seasoned Track day riders.

New riders will blow their box apart if used or set up incorrectly

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wouldn't recommend one to make riding "easier" to a newer rider. Get some miles under your belt before you worry about mods for the bike. I have ridden almost 15k miles between my R3 and previous bike and still wouldn't call myself all too experienced. That being said, I plan on getting the Dynojet QS once I get an exhaust and PCV. I plan on keeping this bike for a long time since I don't think it would be a good idea for me to move up to a 600+cc supersport. I love this bike as is but my planned mods will make it one heck of a ride!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
loud n clear

I'll keep practicing
Anyway, I learned that Lee Parks require 3000 miles of driving to qualify for their class, so i need to do some catch up

Thanks guys

:D

·
Registered
717 Posts
Track day riding schools can be intimidating to new riders, look for one that is offering a specific "rookie day" if you decide to do a track day.
I havta disagree. With 22 1/2 yrs of street riding experience (yes, I count yrs like a teenager, lol) and 3 yrs of track/ race experience, I feel like the track is the safest and best place to hone your riding skillz. You can get personal 1-on-1 tutoring from a control rider (race course cop). All the traffic is heading the same direction, there are no cross streets or intersections. You actually get to learn about your machine's capabilities. And you're never farther than a quarter mile away from an ambulance, just in case you need one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thread moved.

Quickshifter info: http://biketrackdayshub.com/best-motorcycle-quickshifters/

Clutchless upshifting is not difficult with a little practice if you want to do that, but until you've got some miles in the saddle, I'd not recommend it. Done poorly, it's hard on the gearbox.
I agree. I haven't used a quickshifter but from what I've seen from some videos it doesn't seem to be that much better than manually doing it.
From the video I saw, I am just about as smooth shifting (clutchless) as the quickshifter. I wasn't too impressed with the shifter. Maybe if I rode a bike with one I might change my mind but for now I can't see the need.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I agree. I haven't used a quickshifter but from what I've seen from some videos it doesn't seem to be that much better than manually doing it.
From the video I saw, I am just about as smooth shifting (clutchless) as the quickshifter. I wasn't too impressed with the shifter. Maybe if I rode a bike with one I might change my mind but for now I can't see the need.
I used to think the same thing until I finally put one on cuz I got it really cheap from a guy I know. My only regret was not doing it sooner! Soooo worth it! Now it's one of the first things I do when I get a bike that doesn't come with one. My last 4 bikes have had quick-shifters. They are awesome!

Granted, my bikes are all race bikes, and for racing or just track riding in general they are worth their weight in gold almost. For street riding, not so much. Still nice to have but not a big deal.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I installed onto my track bike.

The only work well, when you are maximum throttle.

and really the shift to 2nd gear is gonna be abrupt.

but the rest of the gears its great.

You do save time because you are getting off the throttle at all.

Worth every penny!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Liv in the crowded city of Mumbai. My Bike is mostly used for for leisure rides and a few tit bits around the block. Crossed 10 k km and 3 years with this machine.
I would like to add a quickshifter to my bike.
Out of the many aftermarket options out there, I have decided to go with the translogic dura shift.
Y , Cause it offers seemless up shifts even at Low and mid range rpm without clunky jerks. Correct me if I'm wrong please.
I have not seen any other r3 with this tech yet.
Not looking for power upgrade just a QS.
Kindly recommend or suggest.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts