Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a number of "full systems" as well as many slip-on "cans." You can spend a ton of cash for a very small amount of useable performance in a given RPM range and for me, that just doesn't work. That being said, this may be the first commercially available unit for the R3 and as excellent as the Akrapovic name is, cost vs performance is a definite thumbs down!
Looks may be another thing but the way I see it, the stock exhaust is stylish, down only .4 HP, won't bring the cops running every time you gas it and since I won't be riding to often at 12,000 rpm, I'll spend my money on something that I would consider more important or of greater value; like ten nice dinners at a cozy restaurant with my wife.
I'm guessing the cost to be around the $400 range!

http://www.akrapovic.com/#!/motorcycle/product/road/15206?brandId=41&modelId=720&yearId=3718

·
Registered
376 Posts
Cool, I am not fond of slipon unless you modify the header. Save your money and buy a full exhaust.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Of course, your argument is completely 100% rational..

BUT ... us bikers are not rational! :)
That why we risk our lives every single time we ride out when we could be sitting in a nice, warm, boxy Volvo.

I agree about slip-ons. Often a full system is not a huge amount more relatively speaking.
I don't think it comes down to power that much.. ok, one might get about a 2-4% gain but I think personalisation just means something to some people, plus it looks good, is a talking point and the biggest reason of all is probably the sound it makes.

I hadn't considered it also makes you more easily heard by cops but there are not many cops where I live as crime is very low. I think the extra noise generally makes us stand out more for all cars which is a safety bonus.

Persoanlly, if the R3 sounds good stock through the rev range then I am not changing a thing.

The big problem is if you get talking to a person who has an R3 with an aftermarket exhaust and then he starts it up and rides off and you jaw hits the ground.. then it will all over and I would have to get one :)

PLus, I dont really like my neighbours! Ha

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've owned a number of "full systems" as well as many slip-on "cans." You can spend a ton of cash for a very small amount of useable performance in a given RPM range and for me, that just doesn't work. That being said, this may be the first commercially available unit for the R3 and as excellent as the Akrapovic name is, cost vs performance is a definite thumbs down!
Looks may be another thing but the way I see it, the stock exhaust is stylish, down only .4 HP, won't bring the cops running every time you gas it and since I won't be riding to often at 12,000 rpm, I'll spend my money on something that I would consider more important or of greater value; like ten nice dinners at a cozy restaurant with my wife.

http://www.akrapovic.com/#!/motorcycle/product/road/15206?brandId=41&modelId=720&yearId=3718
I usually stick to the stock exhaust system on my motorcycles, however, if there are some modifactions to squeeze a few worthwhile horses out for a reasonable cost

·
Registered
46 Posts

I usually stick to the stock exhaust system on my motorcycles, however, if there are some modifactions to squeeze a few worthwhile horses out for a reasonable cost I'd like to look into that. Not sure if $400 is worth .4hp and whether you'd notice it on the road? It might be cheaper to go on a diet and shed a few pounds?

·
Registered
46 Posts
You generally don't see a lot of fatties on sports bikes.
They must be the ones who buy the Harleys and 1400cc bikes :)

I'm a mad cyclist so I am underweight - must be worth a good 10 HP :)
.... you are right, there are not too many exceptions ....... :eek:

....... I might start my diet in the New Year to give you some competition if you are a light weight :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
yea thats the one Vaughan posted on page 1, makes sense it was alread developed for R25... I'm still curious about the pipe from the EICMA bikes...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am looking at the R3 as an option for my brother in law... been trying to get him interested in riding for a little while and I think this is a great opportunity.

I have been riding for a while and own a Ducati Monster 796 Anniversary Edition and the Panigale 899. Both have been fitted with the Termignoni racing exhaust and racing maps.

So, I am a fan of Akrapovic besides not owning one and the carbon model looks very good indeed. Performance improvements aren't impressive with the stock map, but has anyone considered the benefit of a Power Commander or RapidBike module? The weight savings is attractive, but short of a tune, perhaps an aftermarket fueling solution would up the HP and torque or at least smooth it out.

At $300 compared to the $2100 the Termi costs for each bike, it seems like a deal to me.

I would be interested in views and comments.

Also, a riding buddy of mine trashed him ECU with a Bazzaz, so that isn't a consideration.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Its all about the style and sound. $400 is steep, and .4 hp isnt a great gain, but shedding a few lbs' is another thing. Im gonna wait for more companies to develope theyre versions, then see how the price differs.

1 - 20 of 194 Posts