Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have R3 2018 ABS, the handle bar ends bolts are tighten properly and the not h is in his place but the bar end is spinning with the screwing, what can I do to fix it?

·
Super Moderator
1,226 Posts
If I'm reading you right... the bar end is spinning when you try to tighten it with a wrench. That's normal. You need to hold the bar end stationary while tightening. I wrap the bar end with a cloth (to prevent scratches and damage) and use a pair of channel lock-pliers to hold the bar end while I tighten the screw with my spinner wrench.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I'm reading you right... the bar end is spinning when you try to tighten it with a wrench. That's normal. You need to hold the bar end stationary while tightening. I wrap the bar end with a cloth (to prevent scratches and damage) and use a pair of channel lock-pliers to hold the bar end while I tighten the screw with my spinner wrench.
Thanks for the response, but maybe I wasn’t explaining myself correctly…

The bolt is tight good, the problem is the whole bar end is spinning with the bolt and the screwing

·
Super Moderator
1,226 Posts
If the bolt is tight, then there's probably something misaligned internally. Remove the bar end, and see what's going on with the inter pieces. I have a schematic linked below to give an idea what pieces are involved. There are several parts and they need to align properly to work properly and prevent the outer bar end from spinning. Pay particular attention to part # 13 (stopper) as this is the usual culprit... either broken, or not aligned. The good thing is these few parts are fairly inexpensive to replace.
2018 Yamaha YZF-R3 OEM Parts | MotoSport

·
Vendor
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
32 Posts
If you're still on OEM handlebars with the OEM internal mounts for bar ends, those are notoriously terrible. I can't stand them, and rip them out of the OEM handlebars the first time they come loose and start spinning. Your bar ends will be tight, but the internal locking mechanism comes loose inside the handlebar, which is what causes this. It'll take a bit of effort, but tear out the internal mechanism of the OEM handlebar and get a universal bar end with expansion mounts, if it still spins with the universal expansion mounts, I use a little JB Weld to solidify them in place. There's also some very high end expansion mounts that use a wedge style mechanism with lots of teeth basically, those are bullet proof, but they're like $40-60 I think, and hard to find.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you're still on OEM handlebars with the OEM internal mounts for bar ends, those are notoriously terrible. I can't stand them, and rip them out of the OEM handlebars the first time they come loose and start spinning. Your bar ends will be tight, but the internal locking mechanism comes loose inside the handlebar, which is what causes this. It'll take a bit of effort, but tear out the internal mechanism of the OEM handlebar and get a universal bar end with expansion mounts, if it still spins with the universal expansion mounts, I use a little JB Weld to solidify them in place. There's also some very high end expansion mounts that use a wedge style mechanism with lots of teeth basically, those are bullet proof, but they're like $40-60 I think, and hard to find.
Thanks !!
That's exactly what I'm dealing with, the internal locking mechanism became loose !
Can you please explain me how to rip them out and can I get a link of new one please? (the cheaper ones lol)
Thank you very much ! This problem annoys me since I bought it, I just found my way to ignore it until now lol..
Thank you !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts