Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys i was wondering if someone can help me find more sporty clip ons for the r3 the actually would fit there is alot of clearance issues that when it comes to clip ons is there any easy to fit clipons out there that wont require me to do any extra modification to the bike ?

Thank you

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I would actually say the tires are the worse things for me.

Have you tried a search? It would yield results to include the vortex clip ons. No clearance issued for me.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The worst thing about the R3 is the rear fender. Thankfully.... it comes off quick and easy!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
do you mind showing me a picture of your bike
so i see how the clip ons would look ?

thank you
When I had an R3 I had the vortex clip ons. I will see if I can dig up pictures but I doubt it. Plenty of pics out there. I still have the clip ons and will install them onto my R25 when I have time. If you go to yamahar3racing.com there are plenty of pics there as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I love the clipons! Perfectly placed for street riding and they work at the track. I have a friend who races thr R3 at an expert level and he's left the stockers on - he really likes the leverage.

To each their own, the suppose.

CJ

·
Registered
29 Posts
You can actually take the stock ones and put them below the triple tree. I did that on mine and holy difference batman. The whole thread is here (http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/562-suspension/6393-triple-clamp-clip-flip.html) if you need it. If you loosen the clip ons, slide them off, and then take the bolt out for the triple clamp just slide that off, and then put the clip ons on first before the top clamp. I used 35mm allen head bolts to secure it from the bottom. I'll take some pictures tomorrow, because I never actually did that when I did mine.

Also do the R6 throttle tube if you haven't already.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i saw it on that website but i noticed that they had to drill some holes into the clipons and make extra modifications which i dont want i want a simple easy to install ones :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have some cheap-o eBay ones that came with my R3 race bike when I bought it. Unfortunately for me, the previous owner chose to race/ride with no major plastics, so I can't attest to the clearance issues yet. I plan on getting a full race body and will see how much modification it will take to keep them where they are. He, too, placed the aftermarket ones under the triple tree clamp, and it seems to feel pretty aggressive (which is nice for racing). If I have major clearance issues, I'll just have to find a different set or do some playing.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Another option with clip ons is to switch the left side to the right side and vice versa. This will make the bars have an upward angle instead of the normal downward angle. This is what I did with my old SV clip ons from Woodcraft. I have no clearance issues now. If you get the Woodcraft clip ons specific for the R3 they actually have a riser on them and there are no clearance issues with those.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you flip the stock ones upside down then you have to redrill, if you just relocate them you don't have to do anything

1 - 12 of 12 Posts