Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm a student technician and when I graduate I want to build performance race vehicles and start a company based around it. So I picked the R3 as a starter bike to work with that I could build as a pure track bike and then my brother could race it after he goes through racing classes. Now my question is does anyone think that a Yamaha Banshee 350 engine would fit into the frame of a newer R3? If so I could have an air cold parallel twin 2 stroke and save weight by not having to have all of the electrical start equipment on the bike. Plus the sound would definitely be a good bonus considering my reasoning behind racing is for the experience and to impress potential customers. ?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
That doesn't sound like that great of an idea. Even though it's a 2-stroke engine they're pretty low on power, at least stock. They're only rated for about 37-39 hp, which is right on par with the R3...except for it's a 2-stroke, so it won't make **** for power until it gets really high in the rev range. It'll also sound annoying and will require a lot more maintenance. Most of us would rather have a reliable race bike even if we have to sacrifice a few pounds. On top of that, it will instantly become illegal for the majority of classes at most club racing organizations. In CCS, I can only think of 1 class off the top of my head that I think you could race in if you do an engine swap like that. Maybe 2 if you get some special permission, but most won't allow it. You'd be shooting yourself in the foot without gaining anything.

If weight is what you're after, there is a lot of weight to be shaved off the R3 without touching the engine. Lots of stuff can come off that's not needed, plus you can always get lighter clip-ons, wheels, rear sets, etc. You can get an R3 at around 300 lbs, maybe even less without touching the engine. If you really want to remove the starter, which I'm not sure how much that weighs, you can still do it. You just need something to start the bike with after that, like the things they use in MotoGP, Moto 2, Moto 3, etc.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would say it's a rather straightforward no-go. I highly doubt the engine would fit in the frame since they have pretty much completely different frame and size. Even IF somehow you manage to fit the engine in, you will not be able to fit the R3 fairing back on. There was a thread where they discuss about trying to fit an FZ/MT07 engine into R3 and concluded that it wasn't feasible, Check it out here: http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/289-yamaha-r3-general-discussion/128777-r3-engine-swap-fz-07-a.html

·
Registered
304 Posts
Now that I think about it, what does it say that the bike I bought back in 1993 while in college (ASU) had 50% more horsepower than the bike I own now? Yeah, 80cc more helps, but in 20 + years I feel like we should be getting 60hp and better mpg??

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Now that I think about it, what does it say that the bike I bought back in 1993 while in college (ASU) had 50% more horsepower than the bike I own now? Yeah, 80cc more helps, but in 20 + years I feel like we should be getting 60hp and better mpg??

Am I missing something?
Or how the CBR500 makes only about 43-45 hp stock, whereas the Ninja EX500 which has had the same motor from early 90s till 2009 makes about 10 hp more than that lol

Truthfully it's all because of reliability. These manufacturers can certainly make these little engines push out a lot more power...after all the KTM and Honda 250cc engines used in Moto 3 are pushing close to 60 hp! But they won't last at that level. Since these bikes are targeted as economical entry-level bikes, they want them to me reliable and smooth. They have the ability to make them better, but they don't want to bother. Just like with the big bikes...liter bikes are just now reaching that 200-hp mark, but in WSBK those same production based bikes were pushing 220-hp since the mid 2000s or so.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Or how the CBR500 makes only about 43-45 hp stock, whereas the Ninja EX500 which has had the same motor from early 90s till 2009 makes about 10 hp more than that lol

Truthfully it's all because of reliability. These manufacturers can certainly make these little engines push out a lot more power...after all the KTM and Honda 250cc engines used in Moto 3 are pushing close to 60 hp! But they won't last at that level. Since these bikes are targeted as economical entry-level bikes, they want them to me reliable and smooth. They have the ability to make them better, but they don't want to bother. Just like with the big bikes...liter bikes are just now reaching that 200-hp mark, but in WSBK those same production based bikes were pushing 220-hp since the mid 2000s or so.
True, I guess putting 60 + hp in an R3 would have insurance companies freaked and emergency rooms full. still.....>:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts