Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'll "try" to keep it short and say I financed a new 2015 Yamaha R3 a while back. Real fun bike! Very comfortable and sporty lightweight motorcycle. Seeing how I financed it I don't want to get rid of it. Recently however I started getting a little bored with the power. I got around to thinking of a similar and compatible engine to perform a fairly easy swap and came across a 2015 Yamaha FZ-07 engine out of a wrecked motorcycle.

I googled and googled and did all the research I could think of doing. They appear almost identical. Yamaha Parallel Twin Cylinders. Both are 2015. Weight is very close. The mounts are almost identical. I'm wanting to take a shot at swapping engines. The FZ-07 almost looks like a direct replacement! It looks like everything is identical and I can just replace my R3 ecu with an FZ-07 ecu and that's all?

The wiring harness on my R3 appears identical. Looks like I can just unplug my R3 ecu and plug in the FZ-07 ecu?

The FZ-07 engine I have is complete with throttle bodies and airbox. Which also look identical but I'll swap all this out because it's already attached to the FZ-07 engine because it was pulled from the wrecked motorcycle fully intact.

The exhaust is virtually identical as well. I see no reason why I couldn't perform the swap but just thought I'd check on here before I start pulling the engine. Any info that would be helpful and informative is greatly appreciated. Any links related please post. Thanks!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sounds like an awesome swap idea if everything truly goes that easily. I'm interested to hear how it unfolds! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
That is a mod I would like to see! I would love to have an FZ-07 engine in an R3. That would be fun.
Having said that..... it's not going to be easy! None of that stuff is a direct swap! You are in for some serious fabrication.
I hope you are good at welding. You will have to make new mounts and tabs. Also, the FZ-07 engine is bigger and wider than the R3 engine.
So the sprockets won't line-up. I am not even sure the FZ-07 engine will fit in the R3 frame, without serious modifications.
The R3 engine is tiny. The FZ-07 engine is considerably larger. Heavier too. IF you get the FZ-07 engine in the R3, your brakes and suspension will no longer be adequate. I hope you can pull it off. I would love to see it. Get lots of pictures, and make videos if you can, of the whole process.
As far as I know, nobody has attempted this yet.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sounds like a great project, but I hope you have some serious fabrication skills. I remember seeing something about swapping a FZR600 engine into an old FZR400 frame years ago, so as long as you have the will and the skills, go for it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Anything is possible. There's Viper engines in BRZs and Saab 9-3s, and LS engines in pretty much anything. I think that engine swap can be made to happen.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I dont think the R3 frame is wide enough or tall enough to accomodate the much bigger FZ07 engine. But if you can somehow make it work, I would very much love to see it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
probably cheaper and less stress to just buy an fz-07... the bike isnt that much bigger compared the r3

·
Registered
223 Posts
I own both and believe me that engine isn't going to fit on the R3- even if you do some fitting mods, the fairings aren't going back on- unless you are entirely ok with that. Yeah, I took out a measuring tape.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I own both and believe me that engine isn't going to fit on the R3- even if you do some fitting mods, the fairings aren't going back on- unless you are entirely ok with that. Yeah, I took out a measuring tape.
That's basically what we came up with. I want more power but I don't want to get rid of my bike and I'm afraid if I go buy and R6 I'll never ride it again. :(

·
Registered
195 Posts
Rofl. This was an awesome post. Imma sub. I own a welding and fabrication business, unfortunately I don't have a fz07 to compare the dimensions and I really don't want to take apart my r3 to see, but keep me posted. Anything is possible though I've put some strange motors on food fryers and ovens. Had to fabricate plenty of mounts. If you get an r6 you def will still ride the r3, the Supersports have so much lean and much less comfort. Each will serve its purpose. To each his own. I'll stay subed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Like others have said, I'm sure with enough fabrication you can make it (case in point the Grom with the Panigale engine in it lol), but you may find that other things will have to be modified too, not just making some new mounting tabs on the frame, such as air box, tank, etc. It's just a matter of how much capabilities you have to do all that fabrication and how much time/effort/money you're willing to put into it. Just thinking outside the box here, but it might be easier to get an FZ-07 frame/engine combo and transfer over everything from the R3...swing-arm, wheels, front end, etc. Regardless of how you do it, you will end up with a heavier bike. I would definitely be interested to know how much an R3 engine weighs and how much an FZ engine weighs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The cubic capacity of FZ07 is more than double of R3 and they belong to different segments !

Also, the bikes/components may be optimized for different things by the designer - unlike R3 and R6...

·
Registered
195 Posts
I suppose I could throw in my two cents here. Yes it's possible, but could be very dangerous. When a manufacturer begins the process of designing a bike it takes into account various perspectives of engineering. Weight, aerodynamics, etc. Sure your bike could possibly run, but you could be building a ticking time bomb on wheels. These frames are usually built for specific engines, unlike a car the weight distribution and other aspects such as larger tires/wheels, better brakes, suspension, forks, all could have negative aspects on overall long-term performance. In short order, with all the work, parts, and fabrication it might just be easier to buy an r6 or and fz07. Enjoy your r3 for what it is and buy a sportier bike if you want something faster. But hey just my two cents you can do whatever you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 57 Posts