Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting finished up with my R3 race build. I fired it up today for a test ride. It started up normal, but as the bike got warmer, the rpms increased. Once the bike was at operating temp, the idle held around 4k rpms. This bike ran fine stock. The following things have been done since it was ran. M4 full exhaust, PCV, mapped by spears, and all the extra emission stuff was eliminated. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing it to idle high? Other than that, it runs great.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope. I think we figured it out last night. Lets just say, that 1 too many pieces got removed during its "race weight loss diet.."

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since most of the electronics were removed from the bike, most of the fuses were removed too. We made the mistake of taking out the "back up" fuse. We couldnt get the computer to connect to the machine to do some Yamaha diagnosis. Through troubleshooting, found out that low voltage may cause this problem. The battery was fully charged, but was reading less than 4v on the computer, and at the diagnosis plug in. Looked at some wiring diagrams and realized that the "back up" fuse, was in fact connected to the ecu. So we popped that fuse back in, and reset the bikes computer. Now it seems to run much better, like it should.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Since most of the electronics were removed from the bike, most of the fuses were removed too. We made the mistake of taking out the "back up" fuse. We couldnt get the computer to connect to the machine to do some Yamaha diagnosis. Through troubleshooting, found out that low voltage may cause this problem. The battery was fully charged, but was reading less than 4v on the computer, and at the diagnosis plug in. Looked at some wiring diagrams and realized that the "back up" fuse, was in fact connected to the ecu. So we popped that fuse back in, and reset the bikes computer. Now it seems to run much better, like it should.
Thanks Will. I'm sure going to try to get the bike to go on a "diet" (rather than me), so I'll keep all backup fuses :laugh:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once I know that its all sorted out, I will snap some pics of the build, including what the fuse box should look like once only the necessary fuses remain.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tires... Last year, racing my 250, I earned $1600 in Bridgestone contingency. So, Im running stones. R10 type 4 on the front, and an RS10 on the rear. I would like to try the Pirellis, but I hear they are no good in the wet. It rains at our races quite a bit. I have rain tires, but no extra rims yet. So I need a dot thats good in the wet until then. Ive run these stones in the wet, they work pretty well for dot race tires. Im really not picky, I will run whatever tire pays contingency, Im not sure yet who is paying contingency for this class.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts