Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can we please stop calling the R3 a starter bike? It is not that for all people some of us just prefer a light weight fun sportbike. "It's not a big motorcycle, Just a groovy little motorbike"

·
Registered
155 Posts
Can we please stop calling the R3 a starter bike? It is not that for all people some of us just prefer a light weight fun sportbike. "It's not a big motorcycle, Just a groovy little motorbike"
Thank you I dislike all these old people and just general americans who call it a starter bike just cause they have the option to ride anything at the start. a 50cc or 125cc is a starter bike

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Why is it not a starter bike? If I was starting to ride all over again, I would definitely pick the R3. Who cares what it's called anyways ? Sounds like you are more worried about the image you carry because of your "starter" bike than the actual fun it gives you? I've owned 650s and those were considered "starter" bike by some people. Stop worrying about how others look at you on your smaller bike and start enjoying the bike because you have more fun on it out cornering everyone (assuming you actually learn to ride it like it should be ridden).

Oh and stop blaming us Americans because the motorcycle manufacturers don't introduce smaller bikes to our market. Not our fault we don't have your 125cc bikes here.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh and stop blaming us Americans because the motorcycle manufacturers don't introduce smaller bikes to our market. Not our fault we don't have your 125cc bikes here.[/QUOTE]

I'm over here buddy and your assumptions are all wrong fella.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Why is it not a starter bike? If I was starting to ride all over again, I would definitely pick the R3. Who cares what it's called anyways ? Sounds like you are more worried about the image you carry because of your "starter" bike than the actual fun it gives you? I've owned 650s and those were considered "starter" bike by some people. Stop worrying about how others look at you on your smaller bike and start enjoying the bike because you have more fun on it out cornering everyone (assuming you actually learn to ride it like it should be ridden).

Oh and stop blaming us Americans because the motorcycle manufacturers don't introduce smaller bikes to our market. Not our fault we don't have your 125cc bikes here.
Lol you think i care about what people think of my bike xD i've ridden a 50cc for a year a 125 for 2 years and now i'm on my 300, no one considers it a starter over here therefore i have nothing to care about.

And it's not the motorcycle manufacturers fault it's your licencing scheme that stops manufacturers releasing smaller bikes cause they won't sell which in turn does make it your own faults, cause of the complete disregard for making people start small and work there way up so they can actually learn a thing or two and also not just allow any idiot to get whatever cc bike they like and "Give bikers a bad name" or whatever it is boring old people say

Realistically though your training schemes are a joke thats why so many "new bikers" have so many accidents in america (i'm aware this is just a rant at this point)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Lol you think i care about what people think of my bike xD i've ridden a 50cc for a year a 125 for 2 years and now i'm on my 300, no one considers it a starter over here therefore i have nothing to care about.

And it's not the motorcycle manufacturers fault it's your licencing scheme that stops manufacturers releasing smaller bikes cause they won't sell which in turn does make it your own faults, cause of the complete disregard for making people start small and work there way up so they can actually learn a thing or two and also not just allow any idiot to get whatever cc bike they like and "Give bikers a bad name" or whatever it is boring old people say

Realistically though your training schemes are a joke thats why so many "new bikers" have so many accidents in america (i'm aware this is just a rant at this point)
Yes I do think you care what others think. Which is why you agreed with the "thank you" reply to the OP.

We don't have limitations here. That goes on both ends of the spectrum. So yeah it's the manufacturers. Not our fault they don't want to release small bikes cause they won't make money. Still a starter bike though, like it or not. It's a great bike. If someone wanted to start in the wonderful world of sports bikes, what would you have them start on?

·
Registered
155 Posts
We don't have limitations here. That goes on both ends of the spectrum. So yeah it's the manufacturers. Not our fault they don't want to release small bikes cause they won't make money. Still a starter bike though, like it or not. It's a great bike. If someone wanted to start in the wonderful world of sports bikes, what would you have them start on?
a YZF R125 which i owned previously to my R3 it still hit 80+mph and the seating position is a **** of a lot more sportier then the R3 which i feel got made less sporty because it had to appeal to you americans. The R125 felt like more a R1 seating postion it was that sporty, The R3 is like sitting on a MT-125 / MT-07 (fz07 for you americans)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
a YZF R125 which i owned previously to my R3 it still hit 80+mph and the seating position is a **** of a lot more sportier then the R3 which i feel got made less sporty because it had to appeal to you americans. The R125 felt like more a R1 seating postion it was that sporty, The R3 is like sitting on a MT-125 / MT-07 (fz07 for you americans)
If they had it available here, do you think people would buy it? No one is telling the manufacturers not to sell it to us. They choose not to because of one simple thing, money. Just because we aren't restricted to what cc we are allowed to buy does NOT mean everyone buys the biggest bike available. Have you seen the thousands of Ninja 250s on the used market? Try cycle trader or craigslist for an idea. Your general opinion of how it is here is wrong.

Edit: when one of the companies did decide to throw in a small displacement bike in the US market (Grom) how did that turn out? Dealerships couldn't keep them in stock.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I'm over here buddy and your assumptions are all wrong fella.
"I'm over here buddy"
- how is that relevant to my post? You realize I was replying to the guy generalizing Americans right?

"Your assumptions are all wrong fella"
-what assumptions are you referring to?

·
Registered
164 Posts
The R3 is really easy to start on, and really easy to end on. Ride the Pee-eye-double-ess out of it and be safe. You can be assured no one is having more fun on wheels at any experience level.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It appears alexstahp has a chip on his shoulder because he had to wait so long to ride a larger bike. Anybodies first bike he learns to ride on can be called his starter bike.
Also alexstahp as we age we still like sportsbikes but we cant all get into the racey position, the R3 offers us the look and the position that is comfortable for us. Handlebars can be changed, I put flat bars on my Bonneville SE, kept the stock bar on my Sprint ST. I like the look of the R3 and all the mods the guys on this forum have done, if I sell my Sprint I will get an R3.
Just an old boring mans opinion.

·
Registered
194 Posts
What a great thread to kick off the new year haha.

I don't care what you call it, but I do think that the r3 is marginal as a starter bike. Ive said this before, but rewind just 2-3 years ago and a starter bike was a cbr 125cc, or a 250cc if you could handle something "faster". My r3 is waaay quicker and more likely to kill you than my 2013 cbr250r. That's just 2 years difference. Human performance is not progressing as quickly as these "starter" bikes are.

Having said that, who gives a **** what other people think your bike is. Every, and I mean every bike has a negative stereotype associated with it. If you're feeling self conscious about what others think of your bike, just stop riding.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
My intent was not to flame the OP, so my apologies if it came off that way.
I am what you would call "seasoned" (ie; older) and the R3 is not my first bike, so for me I wouldn't call it a starter bike either but it IS an entry-level bike both from a marketing standpoint and in a very real sense:
http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/289-yamaha-r3-general-discussion/21353-motorcycle-experience.html
So, at least for about half the forum (and by extension, half the buying public) it is the first street bike they've ever owned - after that, I think it's largely semantics and not something we need to get too worked up about.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I see the R-3 as an entry level/starter bike. That being said it is my third bike with having a 492 single and 600 I4 before it. I still have the other two and I enjoy each bike for different reasons. If I had the R-3 first I probably would not have the other two right now. SO for me it would have been a starter bike. Instead I started on a larger 492 single that actually has less hp than the R-3. A friend with a lot more experience rather enjoys the R-3 as well, yet he still says that it fits in as a typical stater bike.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Its a LAMS bike,
Learner Approved Motorcycle Sceme.

Its also my 400cc Production racebike.... Learner riders don't enter that National level of racing.

Many things to many people,

ps- and don't pick on Americans, they are polite people.

1 - 20 of 196 Posts