Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just found this place. So glad there is a forum for R3s.

Just got mine about 3 weeks ago. Loving it so far, how about you guys?

Probably going to be looking to do some low cost changes to the bike in about a month or so, any suggestions?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey ganmslasher. Welcome to the forum. I couldn't wait for info about the R3 so I joined the forum a little bit earlier. Since 2 weeks I own a blue R3 aswell. What arr your thoughts so far? I love riding it, it's addicting. Only had some trouble with mastering smooth clutching(I'm a perfectionist, never satisfied). I've instructed my dealer to get me:
Fender eliminator R&G
OEM Seat cover
Yoshimura R77 full system
R&G crash protectors
What are you looking for as your talking about low costs?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey ganmslasher. Welcome to the forum. I couldn't wait for info about the R3 so I joined the forum a little bit earlier. Since 2 weeks I own a blue R3 aswell. What arr your thoughts so far? I love riding it, it's addicting. Only had some trouble with mastering smooth clutching(I'm a perfectionist, never satisfied). I've instructed my dealer to get me:
Fender eliminator R&G
OEM Seat cover
R&G crash protectors
Yeah, I'm glad I read that I'm not the only one taking a longer than usual time adjusting to the clutch pull on the bike. The clutch on the r3 engages fully toward the very end of the release. My last bike was right on the middle.

I'm going to rotate my lever a little bit for my height (6'1"). I think that will help a ton. I'm finding the tendons in my wrist are screaming after longer rides. Actually I'm gonna do that right now! I keep putting it off!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah, I'm glad I read that I'm not the only one taking a longer than usual time adjusting to the clutch pull on the bike. The clutch on the r3 engages fully toward the very end of the release. My last bike was right on the middle.

I'm going to rotate my lever a little bit for my height (6'1"). I think that will help a ton. I'm finding the tendons in my wrist are screaming after longer rides. Actually I'm gonna do that right now! I keep putting it off!

Yeah Warlok, I had the same issue with the levers. I guess cause the bike is lower than many, they placed them nearly vertical. I shifted my down to adjust for my height so I have a nice straight alignment with my elbow.

note: the right side level doesn't move down very far because of the throttle body and these two wires for the starter. But I placed mine as far down as it would go, then matched the clutch side.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The smoothest shifting is, hard to believe, clutchless. It takes practice though. (I don't clutchless shift first-to-second plus I usually just start out in second anyways.)

·
Registered
258 Posts
I´ve done over 17000 km´s on a 1986 Kreidler 50CC. Clutching on that one was so **** easy, on the R3 it takes more concentration for me because i´ve got to pull it all in. Might just go to the dealer to ajust it :)

·
Registered
103 Posts

Yeah Warlok, I had the same issue with the levers. I guess cause the bike is lower than many, they placed them nearly vertical. I shifted my down to adjust for my height so I have a nice straight alignment with my elbow.

note: the right side level doesn't move down very far because of the throttle body and these two wires for the starter. But I placed mine as far down as it would go, then matched the clutch side.
Yeah, I saw that the brake lever won't spin much. I have my clutch lever a bit lower than the brake. The brake doesn't bother me at all since you only need to squeeze it occasionally and not with nearly the same amount of pull distance and force.

The throttle play seems OK, but I may take a bit more slack out of it. It's not just the clutch lever that makes clutching more difficult, but a combination of throttle roll and clutch release. The throttle slack may be contributing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fender eliminator R&G
OEM Seat cover
R&G crash protectors
I have been kicking myself with my from a stop clutching as well. I think 1st gear might not be helping too much with that either as it is so very sensitive. After I get going my clutching isn't so bad when I try.

I'm thinking about getting a Yoshi slip on, shorter levers (I really hate the feeling of the stock ones for some reason), fender eliminator, flush mount signals and integrated tail light.
My biggest issue so far is that I'm having a hard time finding places that sell parts. It is such a new bike so I figure it will take a bit to get availability. Also getting parts in Canada can be a pain in the arse, shipping and border fees cost an arm and a leg.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts