Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive got almost 300 km on the bike and the last two rides I had noticed that the engine doesnt run as smooth as it did before. Especially at anything below 5000 rpm. Before the engine would just purr, super smooth. Its not awful now by anymeans, just not as smooth as it was. I was stopped at a light for quite a long time probably 2 min before it changed and when i took off it was right back to normal, maybe slightly better. Anyone have any input as to what might be going on?

·
Registered
27 Posts
i'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but have you been using a different fuel brand or octane? oil? loose plug?
just my .02.
Hope you figure it out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, Ive only put fuel in it once since Ive had it and I changed the oil at 30 Km because I do the more agressive break in procedure. I bought the oil when I picked up the bike and the dealer gave me 20w40 which I though was a little on the heavy side. But thats what they say it calls for. Not sure what is in it from the factory. Like I said, its not a night and day difference. I only really noticed it because of how super smooth it was running after sitting at that light for what seemed like forever. I had ridden about 15 km prior to stopping.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thats the other thing, a complete oil and filter change was less that 2 quarts. Maybe I didnt let it drain long enough? I put in 2 quarts, let it run for a minute or so shut it down, waited another minute then checked the level it it was high. Had to drain some out. It looked good. Tonight after my ride I parked it and checked it again and it looks a little high again (about 1/8" well above the full mark). Bike is as level as it can be so maybe still have too much.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
You will notice subtle changes during break-in, its just the psychology of owning something brand new.

Id re-evaluate what your noticing at 500-700km. If you really feel its running rough/missing have your dealer look at it while its under warranty.

Remember these small twins are rev happy, I rarely cruise at less than 5K rpm myself. This bike is geared to rev @ 6500 @ 60mph(100kmh) in 6th so that gives you some idea of where Yamaha feels its RPM happy zone is.

Like Stirz said, make sure your oil level is good with bike standing upright. And dont buy fuel from shady/budget gas stations, preferably ethanol free.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advise, Ill do that. The bike is running at 6500rpm now the way it did at 5000 rpm when it was brand new. It definitely perfers to be a little higher up than before. Its my first parallel twin engine so Im still getting to know its characteristics.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Thats the other thing, a complete oil and filter change was less that 2 quarts. Maybe I didnt let it drain long enough? I put in 2 quarts, let it run for a minute or so shut it down, waited another minute then checked the level it it was high. Had to drain some out. It looked good. Tonight after my ride I parked it and checked it again and it looks a little high again (about 1/8" well above the full mark). Bike is as level as it can be so maybe still have too much.
Factory Service Manual claims 2.22 qts with new filter, but mine topped off with exactly 2 qts. I warmed it up and let it drip drain for 20 minutes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I changed the oil. I was wrong on the weight. It was 20w50 the dealer gave me last time. Switched to 10w40 and verified the level 3 times. Still took less than two quarts with a filter change to get it to where half the sight glass was oil and half was air. All is now well in the world. Thanks for all the input ppl.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts