Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, first post on these forums! Purchased a new R3 just four days ago off the showroom floor with 0 on the odo. Wanting to take my gf for a ride as she misses being on the back of a bike (Sold my CBX two summers ago and haven't ridden again until this year). Something I noticed though is that the passenger seat feels REALLY loose in the frame. This is a brand new bike, is this normal? Do all the passenger seats really just sit there like that, not firm at all in its position? The side to side and back and fourth motion is quite substantial.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Hello everyone, first post on these forums! Purchased a new R3 just four days ago off the showroom floor with 0 on the odo. Wanting to take my gf for a ride as she misses being on the back of a bike (Sold my CBX two summers ago and haven't ridden again until this year). Something I noticed though is that the passenger seat feels REALLY loose in the frame. This is a brand new bike, is this normal? Do all the passenger seats really just sit there like that, not firm at all in its position? The side to side and back and fourth motion is quite substantial.
Mine slid around, too, very loose, but I will never have a passenger and switched the seat out for the rear cowl.

The cowl doesn't move around at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My rear seat has about 1mm forward-backward movement. On side-to-side, the rear part of the seat doesn't move much, but the front part has about 3mm, which is quite a bit.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Yeah, mine's pretty mobile. To those who've had passengers, does it still flail about with someone sitting on it?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm under the assumption that any motorcycle that has a key lock , unhinged removable passenger seat for storage has some form of play? But I only own 2 motorcycles so my experience is very limited.

And no, the seat will not/should not move around when someone is on it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine was a lot more than 3mm, was closer to +1/2" side to side. I say "was" because I took off the seat, pushed the helmet locking mechanisms out as far as they could go, and tightened the 10mm nuts holding them and the passenger hold strap. This seems to have solved my problem and now it has very little (almost no) side to side. My concern now is, I know I can tighten this and make this movement disappear completely, but then I would be putting unwanted pressure on the passenger hold strap and warping it. Time to find a happy medium!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Don't stress out about it my gf has ridden on the back of my r3 plenty of times it'll stay in place.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You could probably add some foam/rubber on the contact points where the rear seat locks in to lessen the movement.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You could probably add some foam/rubber on the contact points where the rear seat locks in to lessen the movement.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Going to look into doing that and I'll post how it worked out when I get around to it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I found that mine was fairly secure the first few times I took it off. Once I actually hung my helmet off of it, I noticed it is fairly loose. I have had my fiancee and a few other people on it a couple times now and the only problem I have found is that they slide forward A LOT. Under heavy braking, I wish I were wearing a cup.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Does anyone know if the passenger seat from the R25 will fit our R3? .. I know that the Seat Cowl from the R25 does ;).

·
Registered
48 Posts
On the R6 it is possible to mount a braslet under the passenger seat it will come out under the seat for passenger to hold on to
or use it to strap stuff on to. is this also made for the R3 ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts