Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering where everyone else stands or if they have the same conversations as I do. Every single time someone who knows motorcycles see that I ride a 320, they comment on how it's a small/slow bike or not a real bike etc. Then I have to explain it's the rider not the bike. I am in no way bragging, I want to hear about other 320 riders.

Well idk about you guys but I've had my 2015 R3 for about 1.5 riding seasons and have ridden ~5200mi in it

I've raced about 10 Harley's and beat all of them (drag at red lights and easily beat on backroads). I've raced about.. 25 sport bikes. I've only lost to 2 bikes on backroads, a Zx10 and a 939 Ducati. I've only lost twice off a red light.. a cbr600 and ninja 636. And I've have not yet lost a highway distance race (in and out of cars for x amount of length). I've raced maybe 15 cars like BMWs, Corvettes, Porsche's even some trucks, and have only lost twice.. both to Corvettes. Overall my drag/highway/backroads street racing record is around 40+ wins and less than 10 losses. I've never raced any 250s or loud ricer Hondas. I race cars/bikes that look like they can perform well. But I rarely lose.

Riding a bike isn't about racing or speed or performance or bragging for me.. I love riding, it's my passion and my.getaway. but I'm so confused when my.bike gets immediately shut down for being a 320 when I've beaten most 600, 900 riders and Harley's up to 1800 and modified cars.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've done 8,300 in under a year. I stopped trying to race once I figured out basically any car that is willing to push it's top end will win. Around town and on back roads I'm quick but have no reason to ride all crazy. I'm more tame on the bike and more aggressive in my car.

I will say though that most people see the R3 and automatically associate it with speed. I've had multiple people think it was a 600/1000cc bike and honestly that kind of works in our favor. Most races I "win" because other drivers have seen what a sport bike can do to a car and just assume mine can do the same lol.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The rider gives 50% and the bike is also 50%. Ill assume that you follow the laws of the road as we all don't want to be "that guy". Anyhow, from what you are saying just imagine if you did in fact have a 600 or a 1k bike? You may be 4x faster or maybe the same speed. A couple of things will happen and ill break it down: Assuming a good rider: A 320cc uses full potential and could beat a guy in a 1kcc if the guy in the 1kcc is scared to push the limits as the bike is crazy fast. See the point? A 320cc is quick, a 600cc is fast, and I say anything 1kcc or above is really for racing imo. It all boils down to 1. the rider, and 2. the bike. Depending on the whole picture of skills, bikes, bravery, limits, you can be faster than 600cc's any day just like a super car driver can get smoked if he/she is inexperienced. To answer you original question, imo, I believe the R3 is a quick bike and you can do a lot with it, BUT, when experience grows and your thurst for more power emerges a 600cc will seem normal and the R3 will now seem slow. Its all about experience and how far you are able to push the envelope.

·
Registered
424 Posts
If I'm on one of my bigger bikes and someone on a 300 tries to race me then I won't even acknowledge them, maybe others think the same and that's why you haven't lost more

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
sre they actually trying to race though? An R3 is not slow to accelerate but it does have limits on top speed, which a lot of cars will still beat. Any 600 will also outpace the R3. This is all assuming you are on a highway or free way. In the canyon sit may be a different story but really that just means you got lucky with less straights, you have more rider skill, and you are braver than the 600/1000cc rider you are "racing".

At the end of the day who cares what others opinions are on your "little" bike? Do you really think you are faster? Take it to the track and tell them to meet you there. That, in my opinion is where the real fast riders are separated from the not so fast ones, regardless of bike size.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've always wondered how many ricers think they've "beaten me" just because I don't even bother racing them in my Camaro :)

There are countless videos of 300s with good riders having their way with liter bikes on curvy roads, but make no mistake: Even an untalented rider on a big bike can leave us at will on a straight road.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Sorry but all I'm seeing is bragging about squidly riding with the word "racing" used completely wrong. None of the things you mentioned qualify as racing. If you want to prove yourself, get a race license from a sanctioned club racing organization and go race...on actual race tracks! Then you can race against all sorts of bikes and see where you really fall on the spectrum.

But yes, it certainly is 90% rider, 10% bike....unless you're talking drag racing. In that case a 300 will never beat a 600 or bigger bike.

·
Registered
235 Posts
i had an fz-07 blow by me in a straight just before a nice wide always-green left turn, where i then easily passed him, even while in the outside lane, just to have him pull away again later in the following straight..

you're not racing anyone on the street, not on a 300...really not even on anything.. sbk1198 has the correct verbiage.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I dont think a bike of bigger capacity is going to play second fiddle to an R3, some of the comments are correct based on rider ability etc ,etc, beating a Harley really?, imagine if the original post was from a 125 rider, making out he can beat an R3, he would be shouted down wouldn't he/her.
Surely the R3 is about understanding it, Ive had two blades and a zx9r, and honestly the R3 is the best fun factor bike ive had (my opinion), and to me thats what its all about, being part of a "family" who enjoy motorcycling and all its differences, ........ isnt it?.

if you boys are intent on "racing" please don't get yourself injured or killed just trying to prove a point, we want to keep hearing from you all for a long time to come!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Kojiro and SBK already said it! Who cares what other people think or say about what you or anyone else rides????

You ride because you enjoy it, it makes no difference what you ride! speeding, racing or riding, it's what makes you happy!!

I have learned a long time ago to stop caring what other people think or say!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Motorcycles are spoiled for speed and are generally always a little bit faster off the line. My R3 feels plenty fast for the street, you need to change gears often and highway could be a bit smoother, but it's fast enough for most Earthly creatures and systems.

The other side to this response is that: people are a bit meh and like to insult and brag about things a lot. Hence engine size competition. I am the first to say an R6 is my "fantasy" bike however I have no shame in my little lightweight comfortable and fun "supersport"

Just enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Man, I've put over 10x the number of miles you have in the same time frame and have raced nobody.

"Racing" as you call it has no winners but plenty of losers. I'd slow down if I were you.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm just glad I didn't buy my first motorcycle in my 20s otherwise I'd most likely be doing the same kind of stupid stuff. The reason why I lose all "races" at a stoplight is because I make sure the intersection is clear from redlight runners before I go.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I was just wondering where everyone else stands or if they have the same conversations as I do. Every single time someone who knows motorcycles see that I ride a 320, they comment on how it's a small/slow bike or not a real bike etc. Then I have to explain it's the rider not the bike. I am in no way bragging, I want to hear about other 320 riders.

Well idk about you guys but I've had my 2015 R3 for about 1.5 riding seasons and have ridden ~5200mi in it

I've raced about 10 Harley's and beat all of them (drag at red lights and easily beat on backroads). I've raced about.. 25 sport bikes. I've only lost to 2 bikes on backroads, a Zx10 and a 939 Ducati. I've only lost twice off a red light.. a cbr600 and ninja 636. And I've have not yet lost a highway distance race (in and out of cars for x amount of length). I've raced maybe 15 cars like BMWs, Corvettes, Porsche's even some trucks, and have only lost twice.. both to Corvettes. Overall my drag/highway/backroads street racing record is around 40+ wins and less than 10 losses. I've never raced any 250s or loud ricer Hondas. I race cars/bikes that look like they can perform well. But I rarely lose.

Riding a bike isn't about racing or speed or performance or bragging for me.. I love riding, it's my passion and my.getaway. but I'm so confused when my.bike gets immediately shut down for being a 320 when I've beaten most 600, 900 riders and Harley's up to 1800 and modified cars.
I just re-read this. Your "street racing record"? Lol are are these actual races where the other guy knows you are racing him, is there money or a title on the line or anything like that? What "record" are you talking about exactly? Is this all in your head?

·
Registered
106 Posts
OK, as if luck would have it, this will add to this thread!!!

This morning I decided to take the R3 to work, on the way in, a young guy on a 125 pulled in next to me at the traffic lights. Lights go green and this boy takes off like he trying to prove something, problem was that he was so focused on trying to "race" me, he wasn't paying attention to anything going on in front of him. He ran into a car in front of him who had their indicators on to turn.

I cruised past him lying on the floor rather embarrass and waved as I went by. I got to work safely and he didn't!

There is something to learn in there somewhere...KEEP IT FOR THE TRACK!!!!!!!

·
Registered
269 Posts

LOL! I promise you that you aren't beating a CBR600RR, a Ninja 636, or any other bike; they likely dont even know they're "racing" you.

Consider this:
- R3: 38-42HP
- Any 600 class (e.g. 600RR): between 120 and 150HP; will come very close to 100mph in first gear.

My Daytona is putting out 130HP and if you tried to "race" me, if I even glanced your way, you'd never see me again.
Get over yourself, bud. You ride an R3. It's not a rocket and it's not intended to be.

If you want to race, then take your R3 to the track like I do and school people in corners -- which is the only place you'll ever be dusting people.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
LOL! I promise you that you aren't beating a CBR600RR, a Ninja 636, or any other bike; they likely dont even know they're "racing" you.

Consider this:
- R3: 38-42HP
- Any 600 class (e.g. 600RR): between 120 and 150HP; will come very close to 100mph in first gear.

My Daytona is putting out 130HP and if you tried to "race" me, if I even glanced your way, you'd never see me again.
Get over yourself, bud. You ride an R3. It's not a rocket and it's not intended to be.

If you want to race, then take your R3 to the track like I do and school people in corners -- which is the only place you'll ever be dusting people.
I don't know of a 600 that will hit or get very close to 100 in first but I do get your point. A 636 might? I know my 09 zx6r would redline at around 75? It will break the speed limit in most places though in first. The zx6r wasn't putting down 120 hp, more like 110?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't know of a 600 that will hit or get very close to 100 in first but I do get your point. A 636 might? I know my 09 zx6r would redline at around 75? It will break the speed limit in most places though in first. The zx6r wasn't putting down 120 hp, more like 110?
I begin to bounce off the limiter at 83-86 in first on my Daytona. I know that’s not exactly 100, but it’s pretty darn close.

Either way, an R3 isn’t getting anywhere near close to “beating” any of these bikes in a street drag.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
tchap was being overly optimistic, I think.
My Honda Fireblade only makes 160hp, and when I test rode a 2015 Yamaha R6, I LAUGHED at
how slow it was. It was rev`ing like crazy, and going nowhere. I thought it was funny.
I know most 600's make around 100hp, and it's all at the very top of the rev-range. ( 12k+ )
That R6 had NOTHING under 10k rpm's. I thought to myself, "who wants THIS thing?"
I couldn't wait to get OFF it. It was also extremely uncomfortable, and I had to slip the clutch
a lot just to keep it from stalling when the light turned green. The clutch felt like it was burned up.

SO.... I hate 600's. I prefer the R3 over the R6. But.... a LITERBIKE is the way to go! :laugh:
Nothing beats a 1000. Best for the streets. It does it all.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts