Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
While I don't think the rider was at fault, it wasn't exactly a smart move to filter at 30mph, move over at the literal last second and then have to immediately slow down to make a u-turn. There was some space so he didn't cut the car off entirely, and the car seemed to either hit him on purpose or wasn't paying enough attention to not rear-end him, but it was still a dangerous maneuver for the rider since he had to immediately come to a near-stop. Fault aside, I'm not sure why you'd even open yourself up to that situation to begin with. I would genuinely rather just go straight through the light and turn around at the next u-turn than move in front of someone a second before having to slow down and hope they don't hit me.

Then again, I don't live in CA and I don't lane split, so my perspective on it is a lot different.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Yeah, I kimda agree with the VW driver. I know filtering is legal in some places but I'm pretty sure that only applies to lanes traveling straight. The bike zipped right in front of the VW.
Curious how it turned out in court but if you fly in front of someone and hit your brakes, expect to be hit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I personally wouldn't have made that maneuver... super sketchy to begin with. Sure he'll most likely win the insurance battle. But in my book, he put himself in a situation to get rear ended and even mentioned in his description that the guy he lane split was a d**k to begin with.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Wouldn't you be if someone purposely ran you over? Let's be real, he was accelerating when he got hit, not slowing down. The guy behind him didn't not notice him at that point.

CAs laws are very vague as to what is legal and what isn't. In other words, what he did is probably perfectly legal. He said in the notes on the video he did not intend to cut in in traffic. Instead, he was just filtering when the light turned green while he was doing so. As a result, he found a spot to jump in.

·
Super Moderator
1,314 Posts
While I don't think the rider was at fault, it wasn't exactly a smart move to filter at 30mph, move over at the literal last second and then have to immediately slow down to make a u-turn.
I personally wouldn't have made that maneuver... super sketchy to begin with.
Just read the CA filtering laws... LOL
Let's just say that there is a lot left to interpretation.
CAs laws are very vague as to what is legal and what isn't.
Seems like super sketch maneuver to me. There's only one turn lane, so he's splitting between traffic headed in two different directions ... I've avoiding splitting like that so far. I see others do it. I stop filtering the moment traffic ahead starts moving, precisely to avoid surprising a driver as they start to inch forward. I see others "split" to the right of traffic too at stop lights.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
I have to say - right off the bat this rider seemed to be a bit of a jerk. Look at the way he pulls out of the parking lot. He cuts through the parked cars and doesn't even care that he cuts in front of a few cars waiting to get out. Then he adds to it by lane splitting and I didn't see him turn his head, try to signal with the bike or an arm or anything and he just cut in. What did he expect really? Maybe I'm just being overly cautious but if you don't want anything to happen, then you need to ride a lot more carefully.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
I have to say - right off the bat this rider seemed to be a bit of a jerk. Look at the way he pulls out of the parking lot. He cuts through the parked cars and doesn't even care that he cuts in front of a few cars waiting to get out.
/\ This!

It's the first thing I noticed as well

·
Registered
346 Posts
Wouldn't you be if someone purposely ran you over? Let's be real, he was accelerating when he got hit, not slowing down. The guy behind him didn't not notice him at that point.

CAs laws are very vague as to what is legal and what isn't. In other words, what he did is probably perfectly legal. He said in the notes on the video he did not intend to cut in in traffic. Instead, he was just filtering when the light turned green while he was doing so. As a result, he found a spot to jump in.
If you filter, you accept that you will need to cut into traffic at some point unless you ride in between lanes literally the whole time, lol.

The issue is that the spot he chose to jump in at was literally right before his turn. He wasn't accelerating, he was slowing down to make his u-turn and get in behind the car in front of him after filtering at 30mph.

The legality isn't really the issue. He could totally be in the legal right, but that doesn't make his maneuver and decision a smart one. You can be legally right and still get killed or hurt. Of course it isn't entirely the rider's fault that the clown behind him decided to ram him, that guy should have been paying better attention, or maybe even did it intentionally. The point is that the rider could have done a lot of things to make the situation safer for himself and others or avoid it all together.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I don't disagree maybe it was not entirely the smartest thing ever to do, I am merely defending the idea that it was not the dumbest thing.

Also, agreed with the way he was riding. I thought the same thing when he was in the parking lot.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Jerk move. I have no problem with him lane splitting but he did cut in on this guy.

This was his first head check.

No way I would merge in on somebody when my rear wheel is at their front bumper. Physics say you are going to lose any push and shove contest with a car.

From the language, I do feel like the guy in the car intentionally hit him. That part is a shame but I understand his frustration.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Guys part of our Cali Facebook group. I don't ride like that and I aggressively lane split. Splitting on a left turn is a bullsh*t move, who the F does that?!

Riding like that will get it taken away. One random douche will get splattered and we will all lose. He was riding like a douche from the parking lot.

Guy hit him on purpose. Should have never been there to allow it to happen. The VWs insurance may fight. He did something the driver can claim was unpredictable at best. Interesting to see what the cops put on the accident report.

Claiming its legal is quite a stretch. The things in our motorcycle handbook are vague but they certainly do not intend for people to do this. Its to filter through through traffic when its travelling less than 35 mph. Not for sh*t like this just passing anyone anywhere.

·
Registered
460 Posts
There was a better chance to cut in right behind the guy who hit him but he had to get that one more spot.
Second. Never allow any vehicle involved in a collision to move until the police tell you to even if it is blocking traffic. They have to see things where they happened.
Both operators should have a ticket. Bike for unsafe lane change. Car for failure to control vehicle.
Could have been much worse. How smug would this rider be next time if he had been pinned under his bike with a broken leg. Of course he will forever tell all his riding buddies it was the car's fault.
http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/289-yamaha-r3-general-discussion/91850-take-responsibility.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
Totally a dick move by the rider, he could be a novice and it definitely shows lack of skill.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts