Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I was dead-set on purchasing an Akrapovic slip-on for my R3, but after looking into it, I've come to the conclusion that fitting a slip-on (even with the baffle removed) makes no sound difference whatsoever compared to the stock exhaust... is there something midway down the stock downpipes (eg. a catalytic converter) that might limit the sound put out by a slip-on? Full systems sound incredible on the R3... but I've been put off buying a slip-on because the difference in sound is barely even noticeable. Has anyone else here fitted a slip-on with the baffle removed and noticed any drastic changes in the sound, or should I save my money for another time and consider a full system? I'm not massively bothered about any changes in the performance... I just want the sound for now!

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
And there's no way of getting past that unless you install a full system right? D:
Check out the M4 Street Slayer. It cuts out the cat but retains the stock headers and you get new can. Its very loud, too loud from what a lot of people have said. But its $400, compared to $800+ for a full system. A lot of people say no tune is required but idk about it. There isn't a ton of reliable info on that matter.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Best bang for the buck is to just remove the muffler. You'll get a sound as good as a slip on, will reduce weight, and will streamline the looks of the bike. Some have suggested putting a Honda exhaust outlet on, but that's too expensive ($120) for me.

·
Super Moderator
1,391 Posts
I went with the Coffman's exhaust. It's the best bang for the buck IMO for a slip on and the sound is different enough from running the bike without the stock exhaust or vs some of the other slip ons that for me, it was a no brainer. I also like the small form factor.

At the end of the day just go with what you like. If you like the bigger cans just get it and don't worry too much about the sound because they will all sound kind of the same as running the bike without the stock exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Best bang for the buck is to just remove the muffler. You'll get a sound as good as a slip on, will reduce weight, and will streamline the looks of the bike. Some have suggested putting a Honda exhaust outlet on, but that's too expensive ($120) for me.
I can't get past the look of the little pipe hanging out down there
The Coffman is on my short list as well, if I ever decide to do a slip-on

Hoping to hear one locally before pulling the trigger

·
Registered
38 Posts
Check out the M4 Street Slayer. It cuts out the cat but retains the stock headers and you get new can. Its very loud, too loud from what a lot of people have said. But its $400, compared to $800+ for a full system. A lot of people say no tune is required but idk about it. There isn't a ton of reliable info on that matter.

I would recommend this exhaust!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi guys!

I was dead-set on purchasing an Akrapovic slip-on for my R3, but after looking into it, I've come to the conclusion that fitting a slip-on (even with the baffle removed) makes no sound difference whatsoever compared to the stock exhaust...
I don't know how you got your conclusion but I have the Akrapovic GP slip on and there is definitely an upgrade in sound over stock. It's only a little bit louder, but it does sound much better imo. As if this is the way the bike should have come from the factory. Maybe the sound difference doesn't translate well in videos.

I have heard an r3 with the full sized Yoshimura R3 branded slip on, and that sounded basically the same as stock. So really it's all about can size. If the slip on can is similar in size to stock, don't expect anything. But if you get something small like the akra gp, Coffmans, or any other tiny can, it will make a pleasant difference.

Don't over think it. If you're mostly street riding, get any small slip on and ride on.

·
Super Moderator
1,307 Posts
The stock exhaust was boomy to me. The Tyga removed the boom and now a bit more raspy with little pops occasionally.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I don't know how you got your conclusion but I have the Akrapovic GP slip on and there is definitely an upgrade in sound over stock. It's only a little bit louder, but it does sound much better imo. As if this is the way the bike should have come from the factory. Maybe the sound difference doesn't translate well in videos.

I have heard an r3 with the full sized Yoshimura R3 branded slip on, and that sounded basically the same as stock. So really it's all about can size. If the slip on can is similar in size to stock, don't expect anything. But if you get something small like the akra gp, Coffmans, or any other tiny can, it will make a pleasant difference.

Don't over think it. If you're mostly street riding, get any small slip on and ride on.
Agreed,

I have the R3 branded Yosh slip-on,and yeah,it's not much louder than stock (looks great though) the bike came with it from dealership. If you want more growl without the full exhaust/power commander/block off plate,go with a smaller can

·
Registered
16 Posts
Agreed,

I have the R3 branded Yosh slip-on,and yeah,it's not much louder than stock (looks great though) the bike came with it from dealership. If you want more growl without the full exhaust/power commander/block off plate,go with a smaller can
Have you tried welding in a midpipe and using the R3 Yosh slip on?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Have you tried welding in a midpipe and using the R3 Yosh slip on?
That's just a little beyond my mechanical skill level. If I had the $$ I would do the full yosh exhaust/PC/Block off with a race air filter..I heard a friend with this set up and it sounds great,of course the HP gain is minimal given the R3's engine is limited in unlocking more.

If it's increased growl you're looking for (which aren't we all?),go with the M4 street slayer,many forum members have and seem to be quite happy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts