Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leave all judgements to yourself. I like cruising, I like long distance, I like "racing", I like backroads and curves. I also like the idea of wheelies, stoppies, burnouts, drifting etc. So I am trying to learn.

I attempted my 1st stoppie yesterday. I was rolling at 30mph and squeezed the frontbrake. the ABS locked up and actually engaged the rear brake as well...How the **** is that possible? Unless you do some mechanical work, I dont see how stoppies are possible on the R3. Please correct me if I am wrong

I can get wheelies around 8-10o clock and ride them out thru first. I role at 12mph and engage the clutch and rev up to about 9000. I usually ride it out until 25mph. I think the best way is to be in 2nd gear and do standup/staggered wheeleis. Roll around 20mph and rev to limiter then you can probably hold it around 35-40mph... havent tried it yet though.

Anyone else being stupid on an R3 like me?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I haven't tried wheelies on the R3, I started on my Grom though, safer and less expensive!

You cannot do stoppies with ABS, the computer should limit the negative velocity of the front wheel to a point where stoppies aren't really possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah sounds about right. Im probably just going to take the plastics off the R3 and put a cage on it. I have sliders on it, took off the tail light/plate holder and mirrors.

Am I crazy or did the ABS on the frontbrake activate the rear brake too?

·
Registered
223 Posts
People don't learn to stunt on a 300. They learn to stunt on a 600. Without ABS. So usually it would be an old, cheap 600 supersport.

Good luck buddy.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yeah sounds about right. Im probably just going to take the plastics off the R3 and put a cage on it. I have sliders on it, took off the tail light/plate holder and mirrors.

Am I crazy or did the ABS on the frontbrake activate the rear brake too?

It would have been engine braking, not braking from the rear caliper/disk.
Pull the ABS fuse and you may have more success. Easy enough to do stoppies on my bike (ABS removed and SS braided lines)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts