Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll just repost this here:
http://www.yamahar3racing.com/2015/06/yamaha-r3-track-ride-review-at-chuckwalla-raceway/

I have a lot of upgrade plans for this R3, but in order to give proper feedback about the changes, it was pertinent that I get some track time with the bike stock (well, mostly stock at least), so I signed up for a track day with Track Xperience at Chuckwalla raceway on June 14th. The suspension is stock, the rearsets are stock, the clipons and levers are stock, I swapped out the throttle tube for an R6 throttle tube which shortened the throw a little and didn’t require any modification (I’ll do a write up on this soon), and the bike has the Akrapovic SS full exhaust installed and tuned with a Bazzaz Z-Fi fuel controller.

I arrived at Chuckwalla Saturday night at 8:30, it was still 100 degrees lol! I quickly setup camp, then pulled my wheels off and dropped them off with Dale to get my new tires. I was putting on a Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa 110/70 R17 front and Diablo Rosso II 140/70 R17 rear. I wanted to make sure he had them to start first thing since they were running beat the heat schedule and the track goes hot at 7AM. Sunday morning I learned how terrible of a design the rear wheel mount/chain adjuster is. Holy crap, has anyone else tried to put the rear wheel back on by themself? Biggest pain in the ass ever, not exaggerating… I will be making a captive brake/chain adjuster setup sooner than I originally planned, I hope I never have to use the stock system again. The front was no big deal.

By the time I got my **** wheels back on, it was time to gear up so I roughly set tire pressure cold and did a quick change to the rear shock and increased the preload up to the 3rd from the stiffest which felt closer to balanced with the front, then went out for my first session to get a feel for the bike. Right off the bat, I noticed four things. The rear immediately felt soft, so I made a mental note to go up one more click on the shock preload. The seat needs to be an inch or two higher for track riding. I plan to make precut race seats, so when I get the bodywork from hotbodies, I’ll choose the race seat thickness accordingly. I definitely need a shorter throttle, especially since I’m used to the 1/8 turn on my R6. And, of course, the bike needs rearsets for track riding, but everyone already knew that. All that being said, the R3 is an awesome little bike that handles great and inspires confidence, even right out of the box. It’s SOOOO fun! My knee was on the ground before I’d even completed my second lap to warm up the tires (it was already 85 degrees so they weren’t really cold, but still).

When I got back to the pits, I inspected the tires. Both front and rear showed some hot tearing indicating I needed a little more air in both. I threw the tire warmers on to keep the temp up and checked pressure. Rear was at 27 so I bumped it up to 28, front was at 30 so I bumped it up to 31. I added 1 more click to the shock preload. The second session was even more fun than the first, and I started pushing the suspension and corner speed to see how the stock setup could take it. It’s SOOO fun passing bigger bikes around the outside mid corner :) The suspension showed it’s flaws just before I reached the sweet spot on the Pirellis and the the front would start dancing mid corner at lean. The rebound is just too fast (thicker fork oil may help this if you plan to stick with stock suspension), but the rear shock actually felt fine, or at least, I couldn’t push the rear hard enough to find it’s flaws because of the front.

After the session, I checked the tires again, rear was pretty good, still a slight hot tear, so I increased it to 28.5. Front also showed some tearing still so I went up to 32 and put the warmers back on. The last session was the best. The shock was dialed, the tires were dialed. I pushed the bike as far as it felt comfortable before the front suspension danced around and my boots dragged dangerously hard on the ground. Mission accomplished, time to upgrade the suspension and start installing hard parts like rearsets.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hells yeah mang! :cool:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Excellent report, Jesse. I learned much from it. Thanks!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Thanks for the write up Jesse :)

Oh man you should try wheel fitting with ABS, makes it even harder.
Fitted some DR2's , thankfully they last so long its not all the time.

I tried a 45T but std chain length wont allow it, 44T is the best we can go.
(Ninja 250/300/R6 sprockets fit, ive heaps except for 44)
Put a DID ERT2 Gold non O-ring chain on to free up the ponies.

My report comes next weekend with its first run at Barbagallo,
have got 100mm back/75mm up pegs and race shift, so should be a good comparison vs my Ninja Proddie laptimes.
Stock fairings and the horrible low soft seat will be the limitation.
heaps of weight has come off it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Great write up Jesse, sounds like you had a blast. I can't wait to get mine out to the track.
I think my forks are not going to be up to the task though, I'm a bit bigger and those things just don't have any left for cornering once I get into it.

I'm glad to hear those tires worked well, that I the same setup that I am going to use.

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome report, Jesse. And awesome pix.
LIKE your style...
Makes me nostalgic... Really love ya, bro.
Thanx for all ya do for us!!
Haha, t-rav, nice, definitely some similarity in our riding style ;)

Piperman, I'll be sending my forks off to Traxxion Dynamics next week to get cartridge emulators installed, and likely different springs. It's a pretty inexpensive change that should yield worlds of difference. I plan on doing another track day with the emulators installed so I can give a good review of the change they make, then I'll add a new shock, and finally, full cartridges. I'll review each step separately so everyone can get a good feel of what changes they want to make.

Aufit, thanks for the info on the sprockets. I wasn't totally sure what I was planning to do, but then I think I decided to do a 415 chain/sprocket conversion like Sean has done. That seems to be the highest performance option, slightly less longevity, but highest performance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks Jesse, I'm looking forward to hearing how those emulators work out. I don't think I want to go to full cartridges in this bike.
Are you going with the Ohlins shock?

What did Sean do for the chain/sprockets? I didn't see the thread on that.

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Jesse, I'm looking forward to hearing how those emulators work out. I don't think I want to go to full cartridges in this bike.
Are you going with the Ohlins shock?

What did Sean do for the chain/sprockets? I didn't see the thread on that.
I'm going with Penske for the shock, I've been using their stuff for awhile and so do some of the local fast guys with excellent results, as good or better than the ohlins for less money.

Sean has mentioned a couple times that he's converted to a 415 chain kit but I'm not sure he's talked details much. It seemed to add about 1 hp to the wheel just by reducing the rotating mass. I think he's using an 18t front sprocket and 56t or 57t rear but that may have changed.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm going with Penske for the shock, I've been using their stuff for awhile and so do some of the local fast guys with excellent results, as good or better than the ohlins for less money.

Sean has mentioned a couple times that he's converted to a 415 chain kit but I'm not sure he's talked details much. It seemed to add about 1 hp to the wheel just by reducing the rotating mass. I think he's using an 18t front sprocket and 56t or 57t rear but that may have changed.
The kit is here: http://www.spearsenterprises.com/yamaha-r-3.html

18 front, 55 rear

·
Registered
67 Posts
Excellent, thanks guys. Not sure what would work well here, at COTA, and the other tracks, none as fast as COTA though, more twistys. I'll watch for your comments on the Penske shock then. I know the Ohlins is expensive, I love them on my Ducati, but don't want to spend that much.

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will get the emulators done right away and order the shock, then see when I can get a track day in, I may be able to test the emulators and shock on the same day or same weekend, we'll see. The Penske is also available for less money as a double adjustable which is about $200 less than the triple adjustable I believe, so you can get an awesome shock for a little less than a lot of the other big companies.

Sean, I'm going to get back in touch with Gregg and order that 415 kit with the 56 rear, Chuckwalla rides very similar to Thunderhill.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Check out the tech section in Suspension on the Ohlins thread. I paid $647.12, shipped. It comes with preload, damping, rebound and ride height adjusters... What's Penske offering this adjustability for?

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just checked out that Ohlins shock deal...that's a crazy good deal, everyone looking for a rear shock for this bike should buy that before it's gone

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
That's the kit. Rear sprocket size may vary depending on the track. I'm running a 56 tooth rear quite successfully at Thunderhill. I'll likely run a 57tooth rear at the tighter Sonoma Raceway later this summer.
I'd be interested in your experiences with durability -
Another trick is go to straight roller chain instead of stock O-ring chain. Robs a little less Hp than O-ring type.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'd be interested in your experiences with durability -
Another trick is go to straight roller chain instead of stock O-ring chain. Robs a little less Hp than O-ring type.
When racing the Ninja 250 using 415 chain, I've had zero problems with breakage. I do generally change the chain after 3 race weekends just to be safe. That usually equates to about 9 or 10 days on the chain. About the same replacement schedule that I use for race tires on the little bikes.

I've now got 2 race weekends (6 days) plus many dyno runs on the 415 chain on the R3. So far so good. I might change it before the next race weekend just to be on the safe side...I'm in a very good position in the championship so far. Better safe than sorry. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts