Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get into track days soon when I change jobs or possibly next year if its too late in the season.

Curious to what I should do in regards to saving for the right stuff. Right now I have a Yamaha R3 on the road already with full racing gear. (alpinestar boots, gloves, 1 pc suit, backprotector)

Im hoping that if not this year then next season i can get on the track at least 5+ times and do the Racer5 course. I am a young rider with 3 street seasons and hope to advance my skills over the years to come by attending track days.

In regards to having a bike, am I better off using my street R3 for the track each time or purchasing a track bike. Im also wondering if i should just buy a trailer and put track fairings and important upgrades such as new tires for my R3. Is it reasonable to switch my R3 from street to track and back to street each time?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd just plop race fairings on her and call it a done deal then switch back. Saves money and you get experience riding your bike more ; )

·
Registered
84 Posts
You can switch back and forth, but I am a big believer in the dedicated track bike. I tried to do both one one bike when I started out and quickly went dedicated. So much easier to deal with. If you can afford both, this is the way to go. But not everyone can, so the dual purpose fits their needs.

Reactions: DerVerge

·
Registered
810 Posts
It truly is a pain to switch back and forth. If a dedicated track bike and dedicated street bike is not an option, and for most of us it isn't, then getting a set of race fairings is a good idea. Especially when you consider how much the headlight is to replace. It will take you a good work day to remove the fairings. I know it would make me feel more comfortable with the street fairings removed while on the track.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've always liked having a dedicated track bike. I felt like I was never pushing nearly as hard on a bike that I rode on the street since I was a little worried about throwing it at the ground.

Getting started with track days, yes, get fairings and do the swap. But once my pace started to pick up, a dedicated track bike was definitely the best idea.

·
Registered
424 Posts
As long as you take your time and focus on improving slowly and not doing anything stupid then you'll get away with taking your bike to the track with all the street gear on it.
I would suggest just riding to the track your first time (provided track isn't more than 2hrs away). Once you have been a few times you'll know if it's worthwhile buying track fairings or possibly a track bike, but at the moment just take what you've got, try it out and have a great time

·
Registered
65 Posts
Get a dedicated track bike, for a few different reasons. First off, you dont want to wad up your street bike at the track. You want to be able to leave the track, and return to a normal life, not deal with your track problems on the street. Second, once youve ridden this bike on the track, you may get used to going at track speeds, and switching back into street mode, may be challenging to slow it back down. I ride many different bikes, and with each bikes feel, I have a different way of riding each bike. I cant even wear the same helmet on the track, as I would in the street, looking through the different shields puts me in "race mode" or "street mode." You can buy an ex-racebike for less than it would cost to turn your R3 into a track bike. Its way more fun to ride a bike on the track, when you have no worries about putting it down. Thats my opinion.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'ld be willing to bet that >90% of people do their first trackday on their street bike with with lights and indicators taped and nothing more

·
Registered
16 Posts
Taking an R3 to a track day is great if you are a newbie to the track. You can focus on corner speed and enjoy keeping the thing wide open without all the power to scare you. Eventually you'll gain corner speed and you'll find yourself running up the exhaust pipe of people that don't have the corner speed who are out in your group. Typically you would pass them on the corner exit and go into the next corner in front of them and enjoy that corner speed.

BUT that's not what will happen on the R3.

When you get to the point you need to pass someone you will find them accelerating like a banshee away from you ONLY to slam on the brakes in the next turn and ruin your entry speed, thus ruining your corner speed and sucking the fun of taking an R3 out on the track. You will want to go fast into the corners but the big bike slow guys will always be in front of you jamming up the corner. I know because this happens to me on my R3 race bike during multi wave races and practices. Slower people on Motards or SV650's jam up the corner and you can't out accelerate away from them on corner exit. I need to pass them going into the corner or mid corner which is usually forbidden on track days.

Therefore, unless you plan to race your R3 I would leave it stock and tape stuff up on your initial track days. When you start to gain confidence and corner speed look for something bigger to help out accelerate the slow guys in that drag race to the next corner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts