Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are about 500Kms from me. i am near Bamnet Narong, Chaiyaphum
That's a bit far, any good canyon-loops out there ? Up north we have a lot, the most famous ones being the Mae-Hong-Son loop and the Nan-CM loop (haven't done either but i did half the CM-Mae-Hong-Son loop CM-Pai and back, awesome roads 720 corners over just 130km).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello,
If you ever come north leave a message. I'm in Chiang Dao and love to ride ;)
Happy and safe songkran
Ty, hope you had a happy and safe songkran as well. I actually passed your place before songkran, i did the Phrao-Chiang Dao loop, was a great trip except the stock tires kept sliding. Since then i upgraded to Pirelli Diablo Rosso III (can't get them in stock size, but the 150/60R 110/70F works really well), got them fitted and balanced by The piston shop http://piston.shop.sqwiz.com/. Couldn't be happier with the bike now. I'll probably have another go at the Samoeng loop (which just got new tarmac), almost all the way, its like a racetrack now, before i have another go at the faster Phrao-Chiang Dao loop.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That's a bit far, any good canyon-loops out there ? Up north we have a lot, the most famous ones being the Mae-Hong-Son loop and the Nan-CM loop (haven't done either but i did half the CM-Mae-Hong-Son loop CM-Pai and back, awesome roads 720 corners over just 130km).
Hi Are3,
Apologies late reply.
There are some good roads around my place. Since it is a rice area fairly flat and you can see for miles. With no hedgerows you can see the cars, buses and lorries coming at you on your side of the road. Kamikaze driving can be an understatement. From where I am the road to Dan Khun Thot is twisty with good visibility, you can then continue south to Korat or go left and loop back to Bamnet Narong. Or go right to Si Khio and onwards over/down the mountain if you want go Pattaya/Chonburi/Rayong. It is fun seeing groups 14 year old school children trying to race you at 60-80kph on their 125cc bikes.

Agree with your comments about tyres. Have more confidence scratching, leaning over on my CBR that has Pirellis fitted than the road runners on the R3. Had the pilots break away at the back by being over energetic still banked over trying to exit a bend. Your confidence in the rubber takes a knock for the next bend. Since my CBR could not keep up with the R3 decided to tune the CBR with parts from Webike, bangkok.

CBR250R had the Takewaga big bore kit with sport cams/big bore exhaust/fuel controller etc, fitted. That took it to 305cc and from 24.6HP to 35.4HP on the dyno. Foolishly I let the girlfriends 21 year old son borrow it on the understanding that he did not go over 7500rpm. Got it back smoking, only went 32 km's and the engine blew. Garage said there had been an earlier seizure, when I rode it the rings broke up. Piston and barrel are toast so fitting the original 249cc barrel and piston back but keeping the sport cams etc.

Photos below show my CBR as picked up from its upgrade, to the sad sight of oil coming out of the engine at the side of the road. All bikers dread that happening.
The GF said her son had wanted to borrow the R3, he would take care of it and it were not his fault the CBR engine blew. My reply cannot be printed?

The 3rd photo is my R3, with my country flag over the R3 sticker

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts