Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the r3 as a starter since I've never owned a street bike and it's cool but definitely not an r6, which I've shoulda just got lol. Performance I'm not so worried about it's a small bike and will always be. I've got a little over 2k miles so far and curious as to what upgrades people have done (brakes, suspension, tires) I'm happy with the bike I just want a better ride

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got the r3 as a starter since I've never owned a street bike and it's cool but definitely not an r6, which I've shoulda just got lol. Performance I'm not so worried about it's a small bike and will always be. I've got a little over 2k miles so far and curious as to what upgrades people have done (brakes, suspension, tires) I'm happy with the bike I just want a better ride
Dumb question, but since its your first street, did you ever adjust your preload?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
An R6 is twice the price of the R3. The R6 is very uncomfortable. I think some people like the "look" of it. I don't.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Get yourself a nice set of tires, adjust your preload according to weight (reduce sag), rearsets, clip ons and enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
If you are just commuting around, the stock bike is good as is. As mentioned, a better set of tires is not a bad idea. The stock brakes are ok after being bedded in. For canyon and track days, there are tons of upgrade available. Personally, I have vortex clip ons, Ohlins cartridges, Brembo master cylinder, Brembo caliper, T. rex sliders, R-&G case savers, an integrated tail light, tail tidy, and flush signals. My bike is used everyday for commuting, weekend canyon rides and will see the track when I am not deployed. The bike is not bad stock if you are a beginner just trying to learn to ride and commute daily.

·
Registered
223 Posts
What are you using the bike for? What is your idea of a better ride? What shortcomings do you notice of the bike.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I commute with mine, only mods I have are aesthetic stuff. Such as the rear fender eliminator and flush mount signals. I also adjusted preload and that's about it. Don't really need anything else IMO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I commute to work daily and ride with a group on weekends a lot and cut up. Everything I've done so far is looks (fender eliminator, windscreen, flush mounts) I haven't adjusted the pre load I'm only 160 lbs but I'll look at doing that but maybe cause it's my first street bike but I feel like the brakes could be better but I don't know **** about clip ons or anything lol also suggestions on tires and better sprockets the oem one looks cheap to me but then again idk lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
New rider here and new R3 - Let me save you hours upon hours of reading the awesome advice everyone has posted here and summarize for you in order of priority what you should do:

1. Replace tires...like now, right this moment. The Pirelli Diablo Rosso II is what I got, not one second of regret
2. Adjust preload, i've got it at 1 below max - no more bouncy bouncy (I'm 185)
3. Replace front brake pad with the Vesrah racing pad (SO HAPPY I did this - but agree with others you can wait a bit and the stock will get better with use).
4. Replace the break lines to steel braided. Seriously why doesn't it just come stock like this?

Once you've done the above:
5. rearsets
6. Clip-ons

If you are power hungry:
7.Power Commander 5 with full exhaust (just buy it all at once) - browse around figure out what sound you like + performance considerations
8. High airflow filter

If you are going to track or get serious:
9.Suspension

*Disclaimer: I'm a noob, but I've done 1-4 & 7-8 and SUPER happy.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
New rider here and new R3 - Let me save you hours upon hours of reading the awesome advice everyone has posted here and summarize for you in order of priority what you should do:

1. Replace tires...like now, right this moment. The Pirelli Diablo Rosso II is what I got, not one second of regret
2. Adjust preload, i've got it at 1 below max - no more bouncy bouncy (I'm 185)
3. Replace front brake pad with the Vesrah racing pad (SO HAPPY I did this - but agree with others you can wait a bit and the stock will get better with use).
4. Replace the break lines to steel braided. Seriously why doesn't it just come stock like this?

Once you've done the above:
5. rearsets
6. Clip-ons

If you are power hungry:
7.Power Commander 5 with full exhaust (just buy it all at once) - browse around figure out what sound you like + performance considerations
8. High airflow filter

If you are going to track or get serious:
9.Suspension

*Disclaimer: I'm a noob, but I've done 1-4 & 7-8 and SUPER happy.
Why suspension last? Track bike or not, a good suspension makes all the difference in ride quality in my opinion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why suspension last? Track bike or not, a good suspension makes all the difference in ride quality in my opinion.
Very true. I have it last because to me it's livable (others may feel otherwise) - where are I just couldn't tolerate the tires + brakes and I wanted more grunt and the suspension upgrades are significantly more expensive relative to what I "feel" I got out of the other items.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Very true. I have it last because to me it's livable (others may feel otherwise) - where are I just couldn't tolerate the tires + brakes and I wanted more grunt and the suspension upgrades are significantly more expensive relative to what I "feel" I got out of the other items.
To each their own. Doubt I would ever feel the "extra grunt" of a PC and full exhaust. I did that on a 650 with a claimed 6-7 HP gain. Definitely did not feel that. My butt Dyno is not that sensitive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
To each their own. Doubt I would ever feel the "extra grunt" of a PC and full exhaust. I did that on a 650 with a claimed 6-7 HP gain. Definitely did not feel that. My butt Dyno is not that sensitive.
I'm very confident anyone could feel the diff with my bike between stock and modded - I can put the DB killer in exhaust to mock up stock performance, and I promise that even you would feel it. If we're talking about pure hp gains, it's likely even less than what you quoted above and top end same - but from responsiveness and torque, yeah it's there.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I'm very confident anyone could feel the diff with my bike between stock and modded - I can put the DB killer in exhaust to mock up stock performance, and I promise that even you would feel it. If we're talking about pure hp gains, it's likely even less than what you quoted above and top end same - but from responsiveness and torque, yeah it's there.
I dunno. Maybe it's because that bike (650) was putting out far more HP/torque compared to the R3 so a 6 HP gain was barely noticeable? I think I would still have a hard time feeling the little grunt a full exhaust on an R3 would put out. Either way I am satisfied with what little power it has now, so i definitely won't be going full exhaust/PC.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just went with the K&N Air Filter. The difference is noticeable but not much. I wanted new tires but I'm ok with the stock ones. I use my bike to travel, not to race.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Adjusting the gearing to suit your riding is something else as well.

Mine rarely if ever makes it on the highway so I went -1 on the front sprocket and around town its pretty **** fun. And to the contrary of what some others might say.... it does not make 1st gear unusable... yes its a shorter gear than it was before but you certainly won't be needing to take off in 2nd like some people might imply....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi,

I am new to this forum and haven't got a clue where I can start a thread. Can I get some help please? I have looked all over the site but can not find anything anywhere where I might be able to post threads.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Hi,

I am new to this forum and haven't got a clue where I can start a thread. Can I get some help please? I have looked all over the site but can not find anything anywhere where I might be able to post threads.
Welcome to the forum. To post a thread you *CLICK* forum and select what forum topic you want to post in. Then you click new thread at the upper left side, slightly under the forum banner.

Edit: click, not call

1 - 20 of 28 Posts