Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who have come from a 600cc, can you give a comparison between your 600 cc and this 300 cc? I'm coming from an FZ-09 which is my main bike, and am considering either:

(1) Getting a used 600 cc (I think this R3 is uncomfortable, I feel scrunched up)
(2) Getting another cruiser that my husband can ride too (he hates sport bikes)

What does it feel like on a 600 cc? Seating position, response? Etc?

Thanks!

·
Registered
717 Posts
It all really depends on what you want. If you like the bike but are just uncomfortable, then you can always modify foot position and hand position and seat comfort to fit you. The aftermarket for this bike is growing daily . The r3 does not have the torque nor the speed of a super sport class bike. But dang, this little bike is a friggin blast to ride. It's much less work and weight to contend with than a super sport as well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You can't generalize about the ergos. Even among the lightweight class there's a lot of difference: the Honda is more stretched out; the KTM is very tall; the cockpits of the Kawasaki and the R3 are similar, but the Kaw has more leg room while the R3's saddle is a bit more likely to hold my butt in a single position. My advice: if you can't get a demo ride, sit on the bikes. Sit long enough to get a good feel for how it might feel when you're riding. If you can find a multi-line dealership, sit on as many as you can at the same visit. Just from sitting on the bikes, it was very clear to me that the Honda didn't fit me very well in comparison to the R3 or the N300, where I might've thought it was acceptable had it been the only bike I sat on.

I haven't even sat on a late-model 600, honestly, way too tall for me the last 15 years, but I can say that the '07 Gixxer 600 my husband used to ride had less leg room than my R3. Can't even really remember the cockpit. My '05 SV650 (which being a V-twin, was way underpowered compared to a 600cc inline four) was pretty uncomfortable, not for the space so much as for the shape of the saddle.

Motor wise - coming from a 600, especially a modern 600, it's not like you wouldn't notice the difference, but for me, the R3 has plenty. I'm still feeling it out a bit, but it's got more than enough to drop a gear and pass on a two-lane (and note that with an inline four 600cc, where the power band tends to be much narrower, I'd often have to drop TWO gears to pass). Plenty to get out of its own way on an on-ramp. Plenty torque to pick it up coming out of a corner. Plenty to keep up with your buddies, except for those times when they can't resist a long straightaway, and that gets old after you've done it once or twice anyway.

Where you really will notice a big difference is in the front brake. AFAIK all modern 600s have dual front discs, and IMO the R3 really ought to as well. I'll be putting on a steel braided front brake line in the next few days; others who've done that here say that that (possibly along with swapping for better brake pads) is enough.

Also, most modern 600s come with way better suspension. You can adjust conventional "non-adjustable" forks like the R3 has, by using springs with a different spring rate, adding spacers for preload, changing the weight of the fork oil and the height of the oil column - but doing it that way is obviously a whole lot more hassle than turning a click or two on adjustable forks.

HTH.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used to ride a CBR600RR. The seating position on the R3 is more comfortable, on a 600cc super sport the bars are below the triple clamp so you're going to be more hunched over. Also the seat height is usually much higher, although there are ways to lower them.
There's no comparison on power, the 600cc bikes are rockets, they're designed for the track, not for the street. You can do 100km/h in first gear if you red line it and it gets there very quickly. For me, it was an adrenaline rush but just asking for trouble in the form of speeding tickets, and for me being primarily a street rider in my opinion you really don't need it. You can do a short blip of the throttle and you're already breaking the speed limit. The R3 is quicker that most cars on the street, it's fun to bang through the gears, and can get up to (and over) the speed limit quickly enough if you want it. The R3 feels very well balanced and very light, easier to handle in city driving and parking lots, but also very easy to control when you want to do some spirited riding in the twisties. The 600's are not very forgiving if you step out of line and give it throttle when you shouldn't or mess up your down shift.

·
Registered
230 Posts
> I'm coming from an FZ-09 which is my main bike

So what is the motivation and thought process behind your feeling out R3 vs 600's? That would help focus the answers I think.

·
Registered
460 Posts
How strong are your wrists? 600 and 1000 supersports are race bikes with a headlight. The bars are really low and the pegs are set back. Riders come through town one handed with their elbow resting on the tank because they are so uncomfortable at any speed less than 9/10ths. The speed can bite you if you make a mistake. And they use almost twice the fuel of a 300 class bike. The engine of the R3 is perfect for a solo rider.

·
Registered
856 Posts
There is about eleventy billion bikes between the two that are far more favourable to compare.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm brand new to motorcycles, but over the last few weeks I've sat on a lot of bikes at dealers including the FZ-09. If you like your FZ, and felt the R3 was too scrunched up, I really doubt you would like the 600cc bikes. On the r6 for example I felt my knees were at around the same angle as on my r3, but I felt folded over forward. I'm 5'11" and find the r3 quite comfortable (wouldn't have bought it otherwise) and I did NOT like the seating position of the r6.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Those of you who have come from a 600cc, can you give a comparison between your 600 cc and this 300 cc? I'm coming from an FZ-09 which is my main bike, and am considering either:

(1) Getting a used 600 cc (I think this R3 is uncomfortable, I feel scrunched up)
(2) Getting another cruiser that my husband can ride too (he hates sport bikes)

Thanks!
If you feel scrunched up on the R3, you are going to hate being on a 600 SS bike. The R3 has tons of leg room compared to my ZX6R.

The R3 bars are much higher. Thats personal preference. I personally like the low bars and leaned forward position of a SS. Not everyone has the same body type. I am 138 lbs 5'11" but I slouch due to bad posture and being leaned forward feels better for me than sitting upright like on an R3, Ninja 650, EX500, or other standard bike. If you arent used to it, your body may be sore the first few days. You use different muscles to support yourself.

The difference in power is huge. If you are coming from an FZ-9, you are really going to miss all that power. Power isnt everything but never hurts to have more (speaking relative to a 320cc bike). The power of a 600 was perfect for my liking. Tame at low RPM and had insane get up and go. I couldnt imagine what its like for a liter bike.

The R3 is insanely light. Its literally like being on a scooter. This is after coming from a ZX6R, two 650s, and an EX500 (lightest of the above other than R3). Very easy to maneuver the R3 around the garage, 1 way roads, etc. On the move, its super nimble. Been riding since 2013, never been able to get my knee down on my other bikes, and literally a week after owning the R3, I got my knee down (closed training course on base, not on the street). The bike is very easy to handle.

I do miss the power of my last bike, but for me the lightness, nimbleness, and fun factor make up for that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Biggest thing I think you will notice in terms of power on the R3 versus a 600 is off the line power. 1st and 2nd gear on the R3 are not very tall all. Off the line, hands down the 600 has more torque and it's something you will notice. My biggest disappointment in the R3 is first gear. With that said, it's still a pretty fun bike, handles great, rides very smooth and is easy to ride. Just needs another 20 ponies or so to be truly awesome.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you feel scrunched up on the R3, you are going to hate being on a 600 SS bike. The R3 has tons of leg room compared to my ZX6R.

The R3 bars are much higher. Thats personal preference. I personally like the low bars and leaned forward position of a SS. Not everyone has the same body type. I am 138 lbs 5'11" but I slouch due to bad posture and being leaned forward feels better for me than sitting upright like on an R3, Ninja 650, EX500, or other standard bike. If you arent used to it, your body may be sore the first few days. You use different muscles to support yourself.

The difference in power is huge. If you are coming from an FZ-9, you are really going to miss all that power. Power isnt everything but never hurts to have more (speaking relative to a 320cc bike). The power of a 600 was perfect for my liking. Tame at low RPM and had insane get up and go. I couldnt imagine what its like for a liter bike.

The R3 is insanely light. Its literally like being on a scooter. This is after coming from a ZX6R, two 650s, and an EX500 (lightest of the above other than R3). Very easy to maneuver the R3 around the garage, 1 way roads, etc. On the move, its super nimble. Been riding since 2013, never been able to get my knee down on my other bikes, and literally a week after owning the R3, I got my knee down (closed training course on base, not on the street). The bike is very easy to handle.

I do miss the power of my last bike, but for me the lightness, nimbleness, and fun factor make up for that.
I also prefer the SS position, especially on the R6, much more comfortable for me since I'm 6'2" and have long arms, so the lower handle bars allow me to have my back straight and use my core instead of slouching with the R3. As mentioned before, R3 is a deal because of the price, maintenance, nimbleness and gas mileage. So still a great bike to have in the stable.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I also prefer the SS position, especially on the R6, much more comfortable for me since I'm 6'2" and have long arms, so the lower handle bars allow me to have my back straight and use my core instead of slouching with the R3. As mentioned before, R3 is a deal because of the price, maintenance, nimbleness and gas mileage. So still a great bike to have in the stable.
Noticed you are in Santee. Let's ride this weekend! One of my friends is in your area with a blue R6. Hopefully he comes out to ride this weekend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Noticed you are in Santee. Let's ride this weekend! One of my friends is in your area with a blue R6. Hopefully he comes out to ride this weekend.
Yeah I saw your thread about taking a ride this Sunday. There's another rider in the Santee Area with a Raven R3 too. Unfortunately I can't do mornings on the weekends unless it's like 6-8 AM, :laugh:. I would love to go, but family comes first and that's why they're still OK with me riding a motorcycle. :D

Thanks for the invite though.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Biggest thing I think you will notice in terms of power on the R3 versus a 600 is off the line power. 1st and 2nd gear on the R3 are not very tall all. Off the line, hands down the 600 has more torque and it's something you will notice. My biggest disappointment in the R3 is first gear. With that said, it's still a pretty fun bike, handles great, rides very smooth and is easy to ride. Just needs another 20 ponies or so to be truly awesome.
You forgot to mention, it pulls power wheelies too!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
> I'm coming from an FZ-09 which is my main bike

So what is the motivation and thought process behind your feeling out R3 vs 600's? That would help focus the answers I think.
I forget I started this thread. Thanks everyone for the replies. I love my FZ-09 and was looking at the more sport oriented bikes, since I'm coming from cruisers. My last two bikes before the FZ were cruisers. The R3 is so slow compared to my FZ that I don't ride it much if at. That's why I was looking at the 600 class bikes. I got the R3 really based on the "you will kill yourself on a 600" crowd that I listened to. I've only put like 400 miles on it since I just ride the FZ-09 instead.

·
Registered
433 Posts
an fz09 should be faster than most 600s man up and buy a 1299r panigale if you want more sport oriented

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I forget I started this thread. Thanks everyone for the replies. I love my FZ-09 and was looking at the more sport oriented bikes, since I'm coming from cruisers. My last two bikes before the FZ were cruisers. The R3 is so slow compared to my FZ that I don't ride it much if at. That's why I was looking at the 600 class bikes. I got the R3 really based on the "you will kill yourself on a 600" crowd that I listened to. I've only put like 400 miles on it since I just ride the FZ-09 instead.
If it's starting to feel too slow for you, take it to the race track and get your skill up. Then you can beat all the non skilled people on their 300,600, liter bike or whatever.

Straight line speed isn't everything and you would think most people that buy a sport or super sport bike are looking to ride it like a sport bike, which is through lots and lots of corners.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
an fz09 should be faster than most 600s man up and buy a 1299r panigale if you want more sport oriented
Actually it isn't. It's got more CCs but it's tuned for a different purpose. Not sure what the fz09 red lines at but I think it's top speed is only around 140ish? The 675r has less CCs, red lines higher and is faster than the fz09. Any 600cc bike in the same year is going be faster than the fz09. I believe they are restricted at the factory.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Actually it isn't. It's got more CCs but it's tuned for a different purpose. Not sure what the fz09 red lines at but I think it's top speed is only around 140ish? The 675r has less CCs, red lines higher and is faster than the fz09. Any 600cc bike in the same year is going be faster than the fz09. I believe they are restricted at the factory.
erm ya... I knew that... Im just a ducati salesman trying to push a sale here bud! >:D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts