Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've been admiring the R3 for awhile now and had a few questions. In Europe Yamaha offers the naked MT-03 based off the R3. We have not seen the MT-03 available in the U.S. yet.

The question is, are there any users here who know if the MT-03 has the exact same frame etc.... as the R3? Are the fairings/body panels the only difference in the two?

I am hoping the MT-03 is the same bike aside the plastics...if so, my aim is to build an XSR3 type custom nude bike. Any information in comparing the MT-03 and R3 is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As far as I know the MT-03 is only different to the R3 cosmetically, in saying that the rear is similar and uses the same exhaust and tail light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
The frame is slightly different to accomodate the different comestic styling and fairings.

The two things I know of that are different is that there isnt the metal bracket for the headlight cluster on the Mt-03 that the R3 has since its mounted on the triple tree/forks.
And there are two mounting plates welded onto the frame near the tank for the MT-03 for the tank fairings.

The tail section fairings should be interchangeable I think.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yeah, the MT03 has handlebars instead of clipons which are a little bit higher. Im pretty sure you can always switch it over though without any issues.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool. Thanks for the info's all.

As noted above those are the only differences I could find as well. From what I could tell the stock R3 upper triple-clamp does not have drilled holes to accommodate upright bars, but I may be able to use an MT-03 replacement if I can find one... or aftermarket one. The headlight and such should be pretty easy to fabricate a mount. The seat will be another story....the R3 sub-frame goes up at a high angle compared to the XSR900/700. It might need to be cut and re-welded at the tip to fir a more XSR looking seat angle...then the problem is what seat to use or build....and rear fender. And also potentially a more retro looking gas tank cover.

I came up with a rough concept in photoshop between the two to see what a naked/heritage R3 might look like. I plan on doing a more in-depth photoshop soon. For now this is just a mix of the two bikes. Cant wait around on Yamaha to build this! It must be done.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts