Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a 360 video, so feel free to move the screen. Basically, I was enjoying the local canyons last Sunday when this young dude with a newer WRsomething with supermoto tires moved to the next lane. His bike sounded louder than mine, with a bigger growl, but there's just no way a dirtbike can catch our beloved R3 on the tarmac. Fast forward to 1:50 for the supermoto.

360 video link: r3 vs supermoto - YouTube

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have a 2019 R3, I also have an extensive background in the supermoto world... If that guy "wanted" to catch you, he easily could have. Ridden properly, a 450SM can pass liter-bikes in some corners... A modern 450 supermoto makes 50-55 HP on a bone stock motor, and weighs less than 250 pounds (My last CRF450R SM weighed 219 pounds). An R3 makes 41 HP stock. A perfectly modified/tuned R3, you might see 45 HP, and most of that would be north of 11,000 rpm. Add to that, a stock R3 weighs 368 pounds. It's like comparing apples to watermelons. I got away from the supermoto world for one reason only.... I like riding, more than I like wrenching. A modern 450 motor is so high-strung, you're ALWAYS wrenching- checking valves, changing oil, motor rebuilds every 100 hours, etc. I love my R3 because all I need to do is change oil occasionally, and put gas in it-

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2019 R3, I also have an extensive background in the supermoto world... If that guy "wanted" to catch you, he easily could have. Ridden properly, a 450SM can pass liter-bikes in some corners... A modern 450 supermoto makes 50-55 HP on a bone stock motor, and weighs less than 250 pounds (My last CRF450R SM weighed 219 pounds). An R3 makes 41 HP stock. A perfectly modified/tuned R3, you might see 45 HP, and most of that would be north of 11,000 rpm. Add to that, a stock R3 weighs 368 pounds. It's like comparing apples to watermelons. I got away from the supermoto world for one reason only.... I like riding, more than I like wrenching. A modern 450 motor is so high-strung, you're ALWAYS wrenching- checking valves, changing oil, motor rebuilds every 100 hours, etc. I love my R3 because all I need to do is change oil occasionally, and put gas in it-
I believe you, then maybe that was a WR250. If a WR450, then I guess that guy just did not launch properly... or gearing was too short... he was wheelieng on second gear.

Reactions: cornerslider

·
Registered
86 Posts
I like riding, more than I like wrenching. A modern 450 motor is so high-strung, you're ALWAYS wrenching- checking valves, changing oil, motor rebuilds every 100 hours, etc. I love my R3 because all I need to do is change oil occasionally, and put gas in it-
+1

That is why I love the DRZ400SM and have always wanted one. Of course, it produces fewer horsepower than an R3, but it's got torque (produced at much lower RPM) and ~40 pounds less weight.

I always liked the blue/white with blue rims vv

Suzuki-DR-Z400SM-2017-1.jpg (1920×1440) (loversofmoto.com)

·
Registered
276 Posts
+1

That is why I love the DRZ400SM and have always wanted one. Of course, it produces fewer horsepower than an R3, but it's got torque (produced at much lower RPM) and ~40 pounds less weight.

It's too bad Suzuki never refreshed the drz400 to fuel injected. Maybe the new KLX 300SM might encourage them to do some kind of refresh on it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It's too bad Suzuki never refreshed the drz400 to fuel injected. Maybe the new KLX 300SM might encourage them to do some kind of refresh on it.
Totally! I've been publicly wishing for this on a number of forums for about the past decade. I really thought they would have done it by now. At this point, I just don't know if they ever will -- especially with the way technology (and laws) is going with electric stuff coming on scene and whatnot.

·
Registered
358 Posts
+1

I owned a DRZ400SM.... That's actually what got me started in the whole supermoto thing. I owned mine from 2008-2016. It's great bike to try out SM, and see if it's something you like. They are great fun, but after building a couple track-only SM's, I lost interest in the DRZ (even on the street). I got my CRF450R (SM) down to 219 pounds, and it made about 50 HP. It was an absolute BLAST on the track!!! As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I just got tired of the constant wrenching. I'm tracking a 2016 FZ-07 now, and very happy with it on-track. I also have a 2019 R3 for street duty, which is also an absolute joy :cool:-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts