Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow R3 riders. I took delivery of my R3 this past Wednesday. I am enjoying every bit of it and cant stop thinking about riding it all the time that i am not riding it. So the problem that i am encountering is that when i go past 90KM/H, my bike starts to move around and pushes my in one direction due to wind. It was a reasonable say with little to no wind. Is this normal for such a small weighing bike? I only weigh 125 pounds and i am 6 1". And this is my first ever bike and life on 2 wheels is just a beginning. Now i am thinking i should have gone with a 600cc? This is the reason i have not taken my bike on the highway just yet. Please help a fellow rider. Any suggestions are welcome.
Cheers
Happy riding;)

·
Super Moderator
1,291 Posts
It's a light weight bike. Windy days can be annoying. Bigger engine doesn't help. More weight, and higher CG help. Both of which are the anti-thesis of the R3.

Doesn't matter which bike you choose, there are down sides. Pick your poison.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It's a light weight bike. Windy days can be annoying. Bigger engine doesn't help. More weight, and higher CG help. Both of which are the anti-thesis of the R3.

Doesn't matter which bike you choose, there are down sides. Pick your poison.
Wouldnt a lower CG be more stable?
A higher CG will, when tipped over by lateral wind, have more weight off the centreline.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just don't go over 170kmh because the side wind can make you fly away! This almost happened to me. rsrsrs

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi fellow R3 riders. I took delivery of my R3 this past Wednesday. I am enjoying every bit of it and cant stop thinking about riding it all the time that i am not riding it. So the problem that i am encountering is that when i go past 90KM/H, my bike starts to move around and pushes my in one direction due to wind. It was a reasonable say with little to no wind. Is this normal for such a small weighing bike? I only weigh 125 pounds and i am 6 1". And this is my first ever bike and life on 2 wheels is just a beginning. Now i am thinking i should have gone with a 600cc? This is the reason i have not taken my bike on the highway just yet. Please help a fellow rider. Any suggestions are welcome.
Cheers
Happy riding;)
Off topic, but you are 6'1" and you only weigh 125lbs?
Instead of buying a bike, you should have bought some fucking fruit loops dude. lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
And this is my first ever bike and life on 2 wheels is just a beginning.

Learn to ride with the wind! If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball... wait.. errr.. if you can ride the wind on an R3, you can ride the wind on anything else.

Jokes aside, you are going to get cross winds on any bike. It's more noticeable on lighter bikes, but it's normal.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
I hated how my old Honda Shadow handled cross winds on the highway. Not sure why but when I got hit with a pretty good wind from the side, the bike would drift right into other lanes. I was always fighting it. Some bikes handle cross winds better than others. Weight definitely has something to do with it but my Shadow was anything but light.

I've heard from others that the Harley Fat Boy with the solid wheels are a complete freaking nightmare in cross winds.

·
Registered
406 Posts
You'll get used to it.It wont blow you over it's just part of biking.

·
Super Moderator
1,291 Posts
Wouldnt a lower CG be more stable?
A higher CG will, when tipped over by lateral wind, have more weight off the centreline.
Well, I had a top heavy FZ6R, and it was amazeballs on the freeway against wind. I get what you are saying, it's harder to rotate both directions though.

·
Registered
460 Posts
A high CG and low CoP from the side will let the wind act on the bottom of the bike more than the top and be one of the causes of the bike automatically leaning into side winds.

·
Super Moderator
1,291 Posts
A high CG and low CoP from the side will let the wind act on the bottom of the bike more than the top and be one of the causes of the bike automatically leaning into side winds.
An interesting thought. I counter that wind velocity is faster 2-3' off the ground though!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thats been the biggest thing for me getting back into riding.. Getting use to the winds on the road. Have had a couple good wind days here, when gusting 30 that def get's kind of interesting at freeway speeds of 50 plus. Been trying different things to see what works best.

But like anything just getting use to it again. Been hit with some nasty wash turbulence off the back of 18 wheeler's which was far more worse. And always when a cop is nearby so can't just get by it =/

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just relax and try not to let it affect your riding. A lot of people tense up when they feel a crosswind, which transfers more of the wind's effect to the bike. Just relax and try not tense up and keep a nice gentle grip on the bars.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
A MSF instructor gave good tip at the beginning
Don't fight the wind head on, you will get tired fast but not the wind

I didn't take the word into my heart until I started riding on freeway for about 2weeks in, transformed my way of riding

·
Registered
89 Posts
Crosswinds can be rough. There is a route I can't take to work on windy days due to a certain multi mile long bridge I have to cross. Due to poor engineering of the way the walls were built there are constantly cars getting blown across several lanes and into the inside wall as well as trucks getting blown over. I avoid that route on 2 wheels and most days don't like it on 4.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I finally took my bike on an extended freeway ride today! Only about 6 miles in each direction but that was a leap of courage for me. I put over 400 miles on the bike before I could stomach the thought of braving the expressway for more than an exit or two, that's how much of a chicken I am. So, YAAYYYYY meeeee!

I am also 5'1" and about 125 lbs (I think the OP made a typo about her height/weight?) with all of my gear on plus a tailbag full of groceries, and I also noticed the bike drifting a bit once I hit 65, 70. On a SoCal freeway on a Sunday, prevailing speed is 75 mph so I had to learn on the fly. I did notice that I could control the bike better when I was more relaxed. I got so relaxed that I didn't even notice any crosswind as I started sailing by lazy traffic--then realized I was doing 85+. So just offering words of encouragement that you can master the highway even being a lightweight on a light bike.

However, even in full tuck (basically lying down on the tank), the wind was buffeting my helmet so hard that I could barely turn my head for a lane check without losing it so the stock windscreen has got to go.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts