Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I’m new to the forum and am hoping someone can help with my starting troubles.
So the bike had been sitting out in the rain a few days with no cover and now won’t start. It makes the sound as if it wants to turn over but it just can’t “catch.” There’s also a clicking noise right above the battery where all those cables connect to it and a few other things; whenever I try to start it and fail it clicks. I checked the battery and it has plenty of charge; today I swapped the spark plugs hoping that was the culprit but no go. I’m not terribly well versed in how starters work and whatever auxiliary parts aid in starting but I’m a fast learner and I want to avoid having to pay the shop to have a look.
I have it safely stored in a shed now away from the elements but definitely need help figuring this one out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to add that this is the ‘15 model and I did have to have it serviced for recalls. One for the tank and one for the clutch? (I’d have to check the files to know for sure) The other ‘15 recalls Yamaha issued weren’t in the scope of my R3’s production. This was a while back though and I never had any issues getting it to crank until now. Thanks again for any suggestions

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
I forgot to add that this is the ‘15 model and I did have to have it serviced for recalls. One for the tank and one for the clutch? (I’d have to check the files to know for sure) The other ‘15 recalls Yamaha issued weren’t in the scope of my R3’s production. This was a while back though and I never had any issues getting it to crank until now. Thanks again for any suggestions
I think being out in the weather has nothing to do with the problem. :nerd: It's a 2015 model. Unless the battery has been replaced already, My bet is it's time. The battery showing "good voltage" does not necessarily mean the battery is good. It could very easily have a "dead cell" and still show full voltage. If you have a battery charger, charge it as fully as you can. Then have someone with the equipment to put a "LOAD" on the battery. I'm guessing it will break down as soon as they do, and a simple battery swap will cure your problem. Stated already, trying to push "jump" start the bike will also answer the starting problem. My problem is, I'm so clumsy, the bike would probably end on it's side. :( Have the battery load tested, and be ready to replace it. Prices range all over the chart, depending on your needs and desires. Good Luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I’ll have to get the saddle on and hook everything back up. Hopefully I can find some time tomorrow morning and see about that bump start. Luckily I live on a hill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No luck boys. I took the battery to my local bike shop and they load tested. Said the cells were good. A little weak from being a 3 years old but it should’ve definitely turned over a 320 cc engine. Soooooo any guesses?

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
No luck boys. I took the battery to my local bike shop and they load tested. Said the cells were good. A little weak from being a 3 years old but it should’ve definitely turned over a 320 cc engine. Soooooo any guesses?
Hook up a charger and try to bring the battery to full charge. After you have it on the battery charger for a while and still hooked up to the charger, try to start the bike. If it turns over and starts without the clicking noise, you're getting enough power while it's charging. If it holds a charge after fully charged, and will start the bike, all's well. If not, then it's still a bad battery. You could also try to jump the bike off with jumper cables from another source (a car). Same outcome. The main thing is to get enough power to operate the starter and eliminate the need to further troubleshoot. Batteries are the most common non-start problems with bikes. AND the cheapest fix. ;)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Did you try bump starting it? Good to know if the bike runs or not before we dig deeper. Also have you checked the VIN on yamaha's website to make sure all the recall work is done. There's one for a fuel fitting that could cause issues.
https://www.yamaha-dealers.com/public/web/techpubs/nhtsaPublications.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn’t do the bump start because I was taking the battery to the shop, but does bump starting circumvent other things besides the battery? If so I’ll definitely give it a go tomorrow. I did have the bike serviced for the recalls pertaining to it but I remember there were some that didn’t affect mine but I’ll double check the site to be sure
My other theory is a fuse or the air filter which I’ll admit I don’t know enough about it to say whether it would make the sounds as if to start but won’t catch because of these things. I do know that in 3 years I never changed the filter that thing must be filthy.
I tried jumping the bike with my car (off of course) when the issue first presented but that didn’t do any good which makes me think it’s not the battery but I ordered a tender to make sure it’s at 100% and try it then. I really hope it is the battery gents. Thank you guys for all the feedback by the way I really feel the love on the forums!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I didn’t do the bump start because I was taking the battery to the shop, but does bump starting circumvent other things besides the battery? If so I’ll definitely give it a go tomorrow. I did have the bike serviced for the recalls pertaining to it but I remember there were some that didn’t affect mine but I’ll double check the site to be sure
My other theory is a fuse or the air filter which I’ll admit I don’t know enough about it to say whether it would make the sounds as if to start but won’t catch because of these things. I do know that in 3 years I never changed the filter that thing must be filthy.
I tried jumping the bike with my car (off of course) when the issue first presented but that didn’t do any good which makes me think it’s not the battery but I ordered a tender to make sure it’s at 100% and try it then. I really hope it is the battery gents. Thank you guys for all the feedback by the way I really feel the love on the forums!
Bump starting starts your bike without the assistance of your starter or battery. If she starts and stays running it'll narrow your issue to a faulty starter, battery, connectors, or fuse. If she doesn't start the later could be fine and there's a bigger issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Were you able to start your motorcycle? My guess was a battery, if you did try to jump start it with the jump cables, and that didn’t make any difference, than it’s probably a bad starter or something else. Also, are you sure you had good contact with jump cables to your motorcycle battery? Those are very small terminals on motorcycle battery and hard to reach, and it could be difficult to make a good connection.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts