Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys...I am a new rider and dropped my R3 today as I was moving it into the garage. The gear shifter was bent (which I bent back), but the bike will not always go into gear (other than neutral) when stationary. If I roll the bike forward or backwards a foot or so, I can usually get it into gear. Driving, it will shift into gears 1-5 alright (a little clunky), but not 6th it seems.

Any suggestions would be welcome. As a note, the gear shifter is not perfectly straight, but is definitely clearing the linkage.

Thanks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You may want to look at your clutch cable tension. This can affect how easy/difficult it is to shift. You can find the specs in the owner's manual. My rule of thumb is to tighten the adjuster until the clutch lever has almost no slack, then back off about 1-2 turns.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Muhammad. I have double checked the cable tension and it seems to be fine. Maybe the dealership route is the way to go for this one. I really appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would re-check the shifter, and all linkage again before taking it to a dealer. This is most likely a very simple fix. An R3 isn't going to wreck a transmission by being dropped in a garage. I've seen R3's crash at the track quite a bit- they are TOUGH! Good luck.....:cool:

·
Registered
136 Posts
If it's not the linkage or cable, I would advise you to check the linkage length. Things to note are, ensure the arms connected to the linkage are parallel on both ends and that the linkage rod is perpendicular to the arms. You may be surprised how much that can affect the shifting feel. The image attached should give you a pretty good idea of what I mean. When the linkage is 90 deg to the shift arm, it can provide the most effective amount of force.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The 6th gear not kicking in might be an issue but the bike occasionally not switching into gear from neutral while stationary is normal. I have 3 bikes and all of them occasionally refuse switching into gear from neutral while stationary unless I slightly move the bike forwards or backwards. It happens if the bike is in neutral and you manually pushed it (moved it) and then tried to switch into 1st gear. It relates to normal clutch operation and alignment of internal components.

·
Registered
327 Posts
It's normal to have difficulty cycling through gears when stationary. The sequential gearbox tends to bind up so I wouldn't worry about that all that much. Not shifting into 6th is an issue you'll need to diagnose.

Make sure your cable slack is properly adjusted and if you're using adjustable levers make sure the pull distance is far enough to fully disengage the clutch.

Also the angle at which the shift tie rod engages your shift shaft is important. Once the shifter height is set make sure the angle between the tie rod and the connecting bracket is at a 90 degree bend. It may be necessary to rotate the bracket a tooth or two on the shift shaft to achieve a better angle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All fantastic comments. Thanks guys. When I am back, I will definitely have a look at the linkage. I'm using stock levers so they aren't adjustable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts