Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some real world pics of the new R6. Personally I like it better then the R1. Has a sharper front end.
Looks much better in person. The blue was amazing.

Attachments

Reactions: Jay Joe

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The blade sp2 looks better in person as well. Still not my cup of tea though. I absolutely love this RSV 4. As a former Aprilia owner I still have a little soft spot for them but I keep telling myself there is a reason I gave up on Italians.

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
I kind of miss a nice set of projector headlights on these bikes. I love the way they looked.

I'm sure this led thing will grow on me but I'm not there yet.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I demoed the 2017 R6 last week. I am in love. There are a few things that would prevent me from buying it though. First of all the seat height is past the upper limit of what I find as confident. At 5'6", 29" in-seam, the only scary thing about the demo was putting my feet down at a stoplight. Then the ergos. Quite possibly the most aggressive seating I've ever been on, my lower back actually started to hurt after 15 min.

Now, I guess I can get risers to reduce the aggressiveness. But that seat height is still there and I don't want to lower the suspension. Wonder how much the seat will droop if the preload is dropped down.

Anyway, what I loved was the powerband. I come from a low-med powerband, high torque background. My current ride is a 2015 Z1000. Obviously I also have access to an R3 which I find very fun, but I was convinced the low powerband is what I am into. You also ever watch Chaseontwowheel's vids and he proclaims that low powerband is where all the fun is. I now strongly disagree with him. After 3 years of riding on low powerband bikes (FZ07 was my first bike) I've come to realize I love and crave high powerband. I fell in love with the R6 from the moment I twisted that throttle. I started in A mode (strongest mode) and there is something about the way the throttle is. The bike felt very light. Like it was effortless for the engine to propel the bike. All 3 of my bikes- they all feel heavy when I twist the throttle. The R3 obviously- it just feels slow, it takes a while for the power to get there. The FZ07 and Z1000 although torque heavy low powerband bikes- it feels like the engine is working with weight to get there- I can't describe it properly it just feels like massive power is pulling massive weight to achieve that torque feeling. But the R6 felt like the engine was pulling a feather. And the talk of "no low end power" on these 600cc supersports is greatly exaggerated (or at least on the R6- not sure how the CBRr, ZX6s, and GSXers feel). The low end power felt great. And whatever is lacking in that dept felt negligable because of the fact that it rises in RPMs extremely fast! Like I said the bike pulled like a feather. I still can't describe it properly.

Maybe its just a "grass is greener" situation, I've been riding low-med powerband bikes for 3 years and I just like the complete opposite.

Anyway, my wife has been riding the FZ07 more and more and I'm seriously thinking about selling both the R3 and the Z1000 and getting a 2017 R6, back problems and seat height be damned!

Here is a blurry pic from the demo.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can set the sag and preload and that might help with the seat height. Good thing you didn't try the older gen. Tallest seat height in its class back then. My son is in the market for this new gen but he keeps leaning towards the matte black version with i hate. Still think the blue is the best color. Ultimately it's his decision but when it starts to show streaks and scratches then he'll learn.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
1.) I demoed the 2017 R6 last week. I am in love.
2.) There are a few things that would prevent me from buying it though.
3.) The R3 obviously- it just feels slow, it takes a while for the power to get there.
4.) And the talk of "no low end power" on these 600cc supersports is greatly exaggerated
5.) Maybe its just a "grass is greener" situation, I've been riding low-med powerband bikes for 3 years and I just like the complete opposite.
1. - Hahahaha! :laugh:
2. - No kidding.
3. - No kidding.
4. - WRONG!
5. - Bingo! You just want something "different".

It's your money.... buy what you want. :|

·
Registered
139 Posts

Agreed with all above. Uncomfortable. But comfort be damned. It's soo **** sexy and intoxicating. And chasing the powerband it an absolute hoot. Although it's still a rocket from the moment you let out the clutch.
But did I mention **** sexy?! This shot is from my demo ride months ago, and I still think about it all the time.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really love my gen R1. Power pretty much everywhere. Although still have to hold on for dear life above 7k. Very light since it doesn't have any rider aides. It truly is a 600 on steroids.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I was very tempted when I went to the dealership last weekend to get the R6 instead of the R3, I'm the same size as you and agree that it would be uncomfortable, it's probably a good thing I didn't get a test ride or I might be in your situation. And I agree, IMO it was the sexiest bike in the entire dealership...which was the biggest i've ever seen,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts