Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a revalved r6 shock for my R3 which I am building into my race bike.

I have the R3 shock off but the R6 shock doesn't seem to fit.

The guy I bought it from ran it last year on his R3 race bike but sold it after upgrading to Ohlins.

Looks like I would have to do some trimming but I don't want to cut anything until I hear from others with experience doing this shock swap properly.

thanks

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Contact Jesse from YamahaR3racing.com He can tell you everything you'd want to know about this. He even sells modified R6 shocks to fit on the R3 so he's been through all of this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Contact Keith Hertell with Road and Track Suspension vonhertell.com/ he's been doing the R6 to R3 rear shock mod on all the race bikes in our organization. He's the bomb

·
Registered
511 Posts
My ´08 Versys had the same shock setup as the R3 with no progressive link. I picked up a R1 shock, changed the spring to the correct rate, and installed it. Night and day performance difference. I think you will be really happy with the R6 shock if you get the spring rate right. Best of luck to you,

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so I heard back from Jesse from R3Racing

apparently I need to cut off more of the subframe to fit the r6 shock, also he recommended I change out the spring and drill out the lower mount to accept the bushing from the r3 shock along with purchasing a mount from him.

I will try to do that stuff here and get it installed in the next couple of days. hope to test the bike at the track this weekend with stock front suspension and the R6 shock with stock spring to see if it is too soft

Just going to run without fairings. My friend is selling me some race fairings but he is having them painted first.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
so I heard back from Jesse from R3Racing

apparently I need to cut off more of the subframe to fit the r6 shock, also he recommended I change out the spring and drill out the lower mount to accept the bushing from the r3 shock along with purchasing a mount from him.

I will try to do that stuff here and get it installed in the next couple of days. hope to test the bike at the track this weekend with stock front suspension and the R6 shock with stock spring to see if it is too soft

Just going to run without fairings. My friend is selling me some race fairings but he is having them painted first.
I knew the mount had to be changed, but you said the previous owner had already ran this shock on his R3...which means whatever modification was needed should've already been done if it's been used on an R3 before, no?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I knew the mount had to be changed, but you said the previous owner had already ran this shock on his R3...which means whatever modification was needed should've already been done if it's been used on an R3 before, no?
He is sending me pics of what he did for his R3 to run the shock. In the mean time I am doing a track day on Sunday and will just run the OEM R3 shock until I get it all figured out. This will at least give me a baseline feel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts