Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just prepping for Chuckwalla and thought I remembered someone saying the R6 throttle tube fits and reduces the throttle throw a little. I happened to have an extra R6 throttle tube so I tried, and sure enough, it fits with zero modification (just have to loosen the cable all the way) and cuts the throttle just enough that it should be a bit more rideable tomorrow at the track. It's important to be able to get to full throttle without regripping. I'll probably make an even shorter one later, but this will work for now.

R3 throttle is black, R6 throttle is white:

Installed:

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
I was just prepping for Chuckwalla and thought I remembered someone saying the R6 throttle tube fits and reduces the throttle throw a little. I happened to have an extra R6 throttle tube so I tried, and sure enough, it fits with zero modification (just have to loosen the cable all the way) and cuts the throttle just enough that it should be a bit more rideable tomorrow at the track. It's important to be able to get to full throttle without regripping. I'll probably make an even shorter one later, but this will work for now.
How did this work out for you? Did you notice a nice decrease in twist radius for WOT??

Would you be willing to do a write up for changing this particular part??

·
Registered
26 Posts
We've done this too: we ordered the 2010 R1 and the 2010 R6 and went with the R6 since it would make it <1/4 turn. It worked out very well at Chuckwalla and on the street.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think there's another thread about this. I just installed R6 throttle tube today came with the grip on same as R3. I used a dab of lithium grease. Adjusted cable Adjuster back so it was nice and smooth. Used my little Snap On pick's after I loosened up cable adjuster.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just did the same thing yesterday. Hopping on the bandwagon!
Noticed that the R6 tube was a bit longer though. The rubber grip patterns are a bit different between the two and I wanted to keep the stock R3 grip, so I had to cut the white plastic tube back about 5mm so that end didn't stick out past the grip on the far side.
Looking forward to taking it out on a test ride tomorrow. Sunny and 70 here in SF. Gotta love California!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I didn't notice that and I had my glasses on lol. I ordered mine here Partzilla is where I got mine from. PN 2C0-26240-00-00 .

·
Registered
254 Posts
I wrapped some thick electrical tape around the bar end and removed it easy with my toothless channel locks to hold back. When I put it back on it was the same spacing and all. And the grip looks Identical I'm going in the garage to take a closer look and just look at my bike since I paid it off yesterday. Only got 1700 miles so far. Thanks Kojilro for the Mod and part number I really like the mod.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I wrapped some thick electrical tape around the bar end and removed it easy with my toothless channel locks to hold back. When I put it back on it was the same spacing and all. And the grip looks Identical I'm going in the garage to take a closer look and just look at my bike since I paid it off yesterday. Only got 1700 miles so far. Thanks Kojilro for the Mod and part number I really like the mod.
Dont thank me, thank Jesse, he brought it up lol! I just copied him and provided the part number.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ok I stand corrected thank you Jesse. Looking forward, new S20's next week. I need to drop them off at the bike shop with the car in Eagle Rock. So I can ride up and get it done. Then I got to pick up the stock tires later with the car. I checked the grip it's Identical.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Ok I stand corrected thank you Jesse. Looking forward, new S20's next week. I need to drop them off at the bike shop with the car in Eagle Rock. So I can ride up and get it done. Then I got to pick up the stock tires later with the car. I checked the grip it's Identical.
How far are you from Lakewood? Brian, who runs SocalSuperMoto, has a tire machine and has been offering to either do it for you, or you can try it out yourself. Here is the post in Socalsportbikes.org :

http://www.socalsportbikes.org/forums/showthread.php?t=363488

EDIT: Let me warn you: I own a Nomar as well, changing tires on an R3 rim is HARD compared to a regular sized rim lol. That thing gave me high blood pressure trying to get my S20s on before my trackday haha.

Join the forum if you arent there already, hit up Brian, get free mounting and balance, make a cool new friend.

EDIT: Different Brian that runs SocalSuperMoto, but still hit him up, free tire change!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Will it fit?

I can get hold of an R6 2006 model year tube for £12. Will it fit the R3 to eliminate re-gripping? If so, what is the procedure for fitting? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I can get hold of an R6 2006 model year tube for £12. Will it fit the R3 to eliminate re-gripping? If so, what is the procedure for fitting? Thanks in advance.
A quick flick through the Yamaha parts catalogue shows me that the 2006 and 2010 R6 throttle tubes have the same part number, therefore I believe I can safely assume that it will fit. I would be grateful if anybody could give me a brief talkthrough on how to fit it.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Just use the same part number in page one of this thread and you should be fine.

As for installation:
Loosen both cables to the throttle
Unscrew the two screw that secure throttle tube and open
Unhook both cables and pull old tube out
Remove grip from old tube (some people may want to actually make this step one, but it will work either way)
Install new tube and reattach throttle cables
Secure with the two screw from step 2
Tighten throttle cables to get rid of slack
Check throttle, make sure nothing sticks and make sure it snaps back

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just use the same part number in page one of this thread and you should be fine.

As for installation:
Loosen both cables to the throttle
Unscrew the two screw that secure throttle tube and open
Unhook both cables and pull old tube out
Remove grip from old tube (some people may want to actually make this step one, but it will work either way)
Install new tube and reattach throttle cables
Secure with the two screw from step 2
Tighten throttle cables to get rid of slack
Check throttle, make sure nothing sticks and make sure it snaps back
Thanks for the info. I've just ordered the part from a guy in Northern Ireland. It should be here in a couple of days. I'll let you know how I get on installing it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Job done. No alterations necessary, even the grip was identical and unmarked. Makes a marked difference out on the road, no more need for regripping. Only fiddly bit was reconnecting the last cable, otherwise pretty easy.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Really despise r3 throttle, i needed to pull more throttle on start, which is not synchronise with later pull amount. However i sort of fix it, Yamaha needs to make up its mind, newbie bike, or supersport in low cc (ideally), tight suspension, light ergonomic, slippery tires, race position, racie looks.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Really despise r3 throttle, i needed to pull more throttle on start, which is not synchronise with later pull amount. However i sort of fix it, Yamaha needs to make up its mind, newbie bike, or supersport in low cc (ideally), tight suspension, light ergonomic, slippery tires, race position, racie looks.
It did make up its mind. Its not a low CC supersport if thats what you were hoping. Go to the official website and see the bike description.

Supersport or newbie bike, the throttle twist is pretty annoying, which is the whole point of the remedy posted in the thread.

Why does yamaha need to make up its mind on slippery tires?

1 - 20 of 106 Posts