Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an R6 throttle tube that should be in this week. What I wonder though is the right grease to apply. I've heard lithium grease for the throttle cables but can this be used on the inside of the tube as well or should I apply a different type?

Thanks for any help and patience, totally new venture for me.

·
Registered
346 Posts
It's pretty funny because it doesn't state in the manual - only states to use cable lube for the cable (obviously). I used white lithium grease, that or silicone spray should work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That'll work, I have some lithium grease so if it needs it I'll add some of that and check for proper operation. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
346 Posts
No problem! I'd recommend to lube the throttle cables while you're in there so you don't have to worry about it later (regretting I didn't - but mine isn't sticking yet).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't even know why we had lithium grease around but I gave everything a fresh coat while in there. Install was super quick and all is well!

·
Registered
346 Posts
It's pretty common - probably the most common grease type or one of at least I almost always have some around. I think you'll really enjoy the throttle tube, it's the way the bike should've come from the factory IMO. I think it's easier to ride with than the stocker even for a newb (at least on such a low powered bike). It makes it WAY easier to downshift.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts