Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just tried to do the swap and having difficulty getting the cable lose from the OEM tube. To make matters worse, the loosening bolt and slider for the throttle cable tension seems to be seized. Anyone here have any tips or tricks to get the cable loose without damaging it?

Started to see some wear on the cable and immediately stopped fearing further damage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just swapped mine a couple of weeks ago. I've read a bunch of forum threads and watched videos and all of them are missing one single tool that makes the job infinitely easier—a curved pick. Grab a set of these from your local big box hardware store or Harbor Freight, they are cheap and you will use them forever. The one on the right in the photo makes the throttle tube swap a 5-minute task—on and off.

103195210_2322015881426251_6574733344594890816_o.jpg

Once you loosen the throttle cable adjustment jam nut with a 12mm open end wrench, and thread the barrel ALL THE WAY to the outside of the stop (toward you if you are at the bar end side of the grip), then remove the two Phillips screws on the front and back of the housing, NOT the one on the side holding the two cable ferrules on. You will see the inside of the throttle tube. Rotate it all the way down, as if you were opening the throttle WFO. You will see some slack in the rear cable. Slide the pick under the cable and pop the cable end out of the housing. That's all.

Then rotate the throttle all the way forward, as if closing the throttle. You'll see the front cable will loosen a bit. Slip the pick end underneath the cable and pop the front cable end out of the housing. Again, this is super easy.

Putting it all back together is the opposite, however, because of the tension on the wires, I had better luck putting the rear cable end back in first. You can use the pick to help guide the cable back in, but you can do it with no tools without too much wrestling.

You DO NOT need to file, cut, trim or in any way change the size or shape of the plastic cam lobe or the cable end slot.

This is a fantastic upgrade to the R3. Should have come from the factory like this.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You shouldn't need any special tools to get the throttle cable in. Just loosen/remove it from the throttle assembly and it should come right out. Also don't force it in either.. You don't want the throttle cabling snapping when you're riding!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just tried to do the swap and having difficulty getting the cable lose from the OEM tube. To make matters worse, the loosening bolt and slider for the throttle cable tension seems to be seized. Anyone here have any tips or tricks to get the cable loose without damaging it?

Started to see some wear on the cable and immediately stopped fearing further damage.
Hey man! I see you are in Canada too, where did you score the tube and is the R6 or the Motion Pro? Mind if I also ask how much CAD?
I haven't contacted a dealership yet, last time I asked for a part, they had a 3-6 week delay on shipping.

·
Registered
420 Posts
It has been three years since I did mine but I remember it was a PITA. I must have done something wrong, however, in the end it all worked out.

Without doubt, The Best Upgrade/per Cost. Enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
Hey man! I see you are in Canada too, where did you score the tube and is the R6 or the Motion Pro? Mind if I also ask how much CAD?
I haven't contacted a dealership yet, last time I asked for a part, they had a 3-6 week delay on shipping.
I have a link to a schematic for OEM part numbers and prices for a 2018 R6, 'grip assembly' is listed as part 15. These are OEM part numbers and are the same you'll see through any reputable vendor and on any computer engine search. This 'grip assembly' includes the throttle tube and grip together, so it's a little pricier than a bare tube from another mfg.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My doods please leave the r6 tube to the r6.
Just use the two factory throttle slop adjustments.
lol - I would love to leave it for the R6 but the idea of using a short twist for highway speeds seems very appealing.
The slot adjustment doesn't change the amount of twist required from what I learned. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a link to a schematic for OEM part numbers and prices for a 2018 R6, 'grip assembly' is listed as part 15. These are OEM part numbers and are the same you'll see through any reputable vendor and on any computer engine search. This 'grip assembly' includes the throttle tube and grip together, so it's a little pricier than a bare tube from another mfg.
Yup - I have it ready for the dealership when things are more stable with regards to shipping. I was looking for a Canadian reseller who might have it in stock. If I really want it bad I'll have to get it from the States and pay high shipping plus border taxes

·
Registered
108 Posts
Changing the throttle tube to an r6 one has to be in the top three mods I've done to my bike. I can't imagine going back to how it was.

And I can confirm the installation can be a bit of a hack job. I'm not sure how ApexSpeed managed to do it with out cutting anything but I had to spend a good amount of effort shaving down the "ruts" with a craft knife to make the r6 tube slot on. Maybe different model throttles, who knows.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Changing the throttle tube to an r6 one has to be in the top three mods I've done to my bike. I can't imagine going back to how it was.

And I can confirm the installation can be a bit of a hack job. I'm not sure how ApexSpeed managed to do it with out cutting anything but I had to spend a good amount of effort shaving down the "ruts" with a craft knife to make the r6 tube slot on. Maybe different model throttles, who knows.
Woa. That sounds intense. Videos I found talk about a hook tool that makes it easy to pull around the tube if that's where the issue was for you. My neighbor has one. I already asked him to lend it to me when the time comes.

·
Registered
259 Posts
For those that might be struggling, try this:
You don't need any special tools, and it makes the R6 throttle tube mod REALLY easy. Brian Van, of STG has a whole series of youtube videos for the R3. He really explains every aspect very well. I try to give STG my business because of these videos. Hope this helps folks out-

·
Registered
65 Posts
For those that might be struggling, try this:
You don't need any special tools, and it makes the R6 throttle tube mod REALLY easy. Brian Van, of STG has a whole series of youtube videos for the R3. He really explains every aspect very well. I try to give STG my business because of these videos. Hope this helps folks out-
That's the video I have book marked!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I increased the pull ratio on my OE throttle tube by inserting a piece of plastic cut from a bicycle reflector mount under the cable. Didn't cost me a penny and has worked for over 5000 miles now.
If you look at the pulley on the throttle body it has an egg-like profile, deliberately designed to slow the initial throttle opening. Changing that for a plain round one as used on most bigger bikes would further speed up the throttle action. Has anyone tried this? I have not found anyone selling these pulleys separately, only complete throttle body assemblies for £70 or more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got them from a yamaha dealer here in Toronto that had it here in 3 or 4 days. I think the price was 20-30, very reasonable.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got them from a yamaha dealer here in Toronto that had it here in 3 or 4 days. I think the price was 20-30, very reasonable.
Thnx man. Norton sports just sent me an email invoice for 63$ USD. 30$ CAD is very reasonable!!
I'll just order it from the dealership over the winter for next season. thanks agian

1 - 19 of 19 Posts