Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that by using an R6 throttle tube the twist to reach full throttle can be reduced. Has anybody done this? Did it work?

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. Based on your recomendations, I just ordered the R6 throttle tube. Looking forward to trying it.

Love the R3!

Greg

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Thanks for the input. Based on your recomendations, I just ordered the R6 throttle tube. Looking forward to trying it.

Love the R3!

Greg
Good luck with the install. It gave me high blood pressure. Was easier the second time though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Kojiiro,

What was the problem with the install of the R6 throttle tube? If you can give me a heads up it might make it easier for me.

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Hi Kojiiro,

What was the problem with the install of the R6 throttle tube? If you can give me a heads up it might make it easier for me.

Thanks,
Greg
Its pretty straightforward, you loosen the cables you currently have, and then pull them off so you can take the old tube off. My problem is, even completely loose, one of the cables is pretty hard to take off. Having some kind of hook, or a small screwdriver might help. Putting the cables onto the new one is the same, you dont quite have enough slack to make it easy, and f you do use a screwdriver, you risk bending the cable.

I am not sure if it makes much sense when you read this but you will know exactly what I mean once you actually do it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Kojiiro,

Thanks for the info, I'm sure it will be useful when I attempt the switch.

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
96 Posts
Can you post a link of where you found the throttle tube? I've been looking but all I'm finding are generic ones that don't exactly have me all that convinced I'm buying the right part.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Can you post a link of where you found the throttle tube? I've been looking but all I'm finding are generic ones that don't exactly have me all that convinced I'm buying the right part.
Partzilla is where I got mine from. PN 2C0-26240-00-00 .

You might want tosave up or order with a buddy to make use of the free shipping.

Procaliber has them in their inventory also, but when I ordered I think they were on backorder.

I usually order from procaliber, partzilla, 2wheelpros or bikebandit.

Also, to piggyback on Greg, revzilla offers a pretty low minimum to get the free shipping. In addition, you can earn revzilla bucks. rockymountainatv has a similar program, with free shipping (@$99) and a points program as well. I find tires to be cheapest with them, and their shipping is crazy fast. Ordered tires from them on Sunday (non working day) and got it Wednesday. They processed the order Monday morning, shipped it Monday afternoon, and delivered Wednesday.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I received the R6 throttle tube, and installed it today. It didn't reduce the twist to full throttle as much as I had hoped, but it is way better than stock. I am quite happy with it.

BTW If you go to install one, use the adjustment on the "pull" throttle cable to give yourself enough slack to remove the cables from the old throttle tube, and to install the cables in the R6 throttle tube. After installation, use the adjuster to take up the slack in the cables. (The adjuster is inside a rubber tube that is on the "pull" throttle cable.)

Greg

Reactions: Braunbear66

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thank You Kojiiro for the info. I also ordered my self one from Partzilla. A little change here and there makes the R3 nicer and nicer.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thank You Kojiiro for the info. I also ordered my self one from Partzilla. A little change here and there makes the R3 nicer and nicer.
Arrived today and installed & loosened to install, and readjusted cable so it's nice and smooth. Used Snap-On pick's for the wire removal and a light film of lithium grease on the plastic. Its a tad different and I like it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts