Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
Oh, I didn't even look at the engine size or hp. lol. I assumed MT-07 was more powerful than R6.

So R7 is not the new R6.
More like the big sister of the YZF600, that was "replaced" in Yamaha's lineup by the R6.. Less aggressive engine and more street friendly. IMO, a much more user friendly bike for the riding most of us enjoy.

·
Registered
358 Posts
More like the big sister of the YZF600, that was "replaced" in Yamaha's lineup by the R6.. Less aggressive engine and more street friendly. IMO, a much more user friendly bike for the riding most of us enjoy.
I've owned an R6, and I absolutely hated it.... I even "tracked" it, and sold it because it was do hard to ride "well". The motor is too aggressive/peaky, and only makes usable power north if 10,000 rpm. I replaced my R6 with an FZ/MT-07 (same powertrain as expected on the "YZF-R7"). It pulls strong, and consistent from 3k-9k, with no flat spots. That motor is so easy to ride well, I doubt I'll ever sell that bike. I used to ride it on the street. Now it's my dedicated track-only bike. I make "better choices" on the street with my R3 :cool:-

·
Registered
2020 R3, 2022 Trident 660
72 Posts
I've owned an R6, and I absolutely hated it.... I even "tracked" it, and sold it because it was do hard to ride "well". The motor is too aggressive/peaky, and only makes usable power north if 10,000 rpm. I replaced my R6 with an FZ/MT-07 (same powertrain as expected on the "YZF-R7"). It pulls strong, and consistent from 3k-9k, with no flat spots. That motor is so easy to ride well, I doubt I'll ever sell that bike. I used to ride it on the street. Now it's my dedicated track-only bike. I make "better choices" on the street with my R3 :cool:-
But don’t you wish R3 had a little more power? R3 does 5.1 sec 0-60 but i would prefer to have enough power to do 4.3 - 4.5 sec 0-60. 3.8sec would be too intimidating for me.
The 2nd gear pull is fun but I could use just a little more power.

·
Registered
358 Posts
But don’t you wish R3 had a little more power? R3 does 5.1 sec 0-60 but i would prefer to have enough power to do 4.3 - 4.5 sec 0-60. 3.8sec would be too intimidating for me.
No, I really don't need anymore power on the street..... Once I got into track days (over a decade ago), I got over the need for big HP bikes. My 2019 "street" R3 has front & rear suspension/tire upgrades that makes the chassis equal to, if not BETTER than most of the sport bikes on the road. That makes it more fun (to me) than "grip-it-and-rip-it", straight line HP-

·
Registered
2020 R3, 2022 Trident 660
72 Posts
No, I really don't need anymore power on the street..... Once I got into track days (over a decade ago), I got over the need for big HP bikes. My 2019 "street" R3 has front & rear suspension/tire upgrades that makes the chassis equal to, if not BETTER than most of the sport bikes on the road. That makes it more fun (to me) than "grip-it-and-rip-it", straight line HP-
I have a long ways to go until new tires are needed. I have 265 miles on odo.
But what tires did you get?
How much better are those tires compared to OEM?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Dunlop Q3+, and they are light years ahead of OEM tires..... I trailered my (new) 2019 R3 home from the dealer, and immediately pulled-off the OEM tires, and mounted the Dunlops (I have a tire machine). As for suspension, I did the Ohilins FSK-143 "street kit" in the front end, and a K-Tech Razor "Lite" rear shock. I have no regrets for doing either :cool:-

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
Cornerslider.. what kind of mileage should you expect out of the Dunlop Q3+ for normal street use.. not track.

·
Registered
658 Posts
There are some really good tires for the R3. I got 10k out of my Pirelli sport demons, such a good tire. Rocking conti motions now, also good.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Cornerslider.. what kind of mileage should you expect out of the Dunlop Q3+ for normal street use.. not track.
Honestly.... It's too early to say. I had a work related injury last summer that kept me off the R3 (as well as the FZ-07) for most the 2020 season. I managed to put 3,600 miles on the bike/tires, and the rear is now starting to show the beginnings of a flat spot in the center. I put 5K on the Q3+ rear on my FZ-07 a couple years ago (on the street), which is better than I expected. The FZ-07 burns rear tires on a track at a VERY rapid rate!!! I've heard the rubber compound on the Q3+ for the featherweight bikes (the R3) is a softer compound than the Q3+ for the bigger bikes? I think that would be the case.... At any rate, I fully expect to get 5-7K out of the rear Q3+ on the R3. Both the R3 & FZ-07 are really easy on front tires. In stock trim, the weight difference between the two bikes (in stock trim) is only about 20 pounds. For street use, I'd expect the front would easily last 10K on either bike. I hope that "kind of" answers your question-

·
Registered
43 Posts
I borrowed a Yamaha Camp School MT-07 for a few sessions on VIR-North. Bike was stock aside from Q3+ tires and Woodcraft clip-on conversion. It was far more fun than the MT-09 on the track (rode one the same day) and reminded me of the R3 but with enough extra punch to amp up the excitement. Like the R3, MT-07 was flickable without instability (unlike MT-09) yet still required efficient riding to maintain a high pace while the suspension was a wallowing underdamped mess. Fortunately, the extra HP meant not being passed as often on straights. Tons of fun! Hopefully, Yamaha allows themselves to take the MT-07 foundation but not cripple it with MT-07 suspension and instead grace it with 08-16 R6 front ends they've amortized ages ago. Makes a more premium bike than the MT-07 and they can charge accordingly, like the Tenere 700. Don't simply slap a fairing on an MT-07 and leave the rest identical. That's lazy and buyers won't justify the sportbike looks for the sportbike insurance rates that'll follow.

As for a R3 roadmap wish list, I think Yamaha should stroke the engine out to nearly 400cc but give it a 270 degree crank. They can then go head-to-head with Kawasaki yet offer something unique with the cross plan crank. A 400cc CP2 engine will be something most people would be willing to pay a premium for above the Ninja 400 price. Hello R4!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm waiting to see what kind of package the RC490 comes out with, and what kind of price point it sells at. It is rumoured to put out about 60 hp, which is exactly what I would like in a road bike - enough to use all of the engine without being super irresponsible on the street. I miss my VFR400. That bike was a total blast on the street when the road got tight and twisty.

Regarding the rumoured R7, I test rode an MT-07 before I bought my Street Triple. The engine just wasn't for me. To be honest, I found it's power delivery boring. I much prefer the more rev happy nature of the Triumph over the lower down grunt of the MT-07. Its the same reason that I'd choose the R3 over a CBR500 (and even the MT-07 for that matter) , so it's not the outright power, more the feeling of how the available power is delivered.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My '07 Ninja 500 would do 0-60 in 3.8. It definitely launched with notably more violence and ferocity compared to the R3. But I like the R3 specifically BECAUSE it's only got 43 horsepower. It helps keep me out of trouble on the street.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I know this is a bit off topic, but this development gives me hope that Yamaha will follow a similar strategy with the also-discontinued WR250R -- replacing it with a larger-displacement version. There is quite a high probability that that will happen. I'm expecting it to be a 300 like the others...but really hoping it will be a 350! That, for me, would absolutely be the perfect dual sport. The WR250R was excellent, but its one glaring flaw was that it simply did not produce enough peak power to really get it done where you really need some giddy-up in serious off road conditions.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts