Yamaha R3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
I borrowed a Yamaha Camp School MT-07 for a few sessions on VIR-North. Bike was stock aside from Q3+ tires and Woodcraft clip-on conversion. It was far more fun than the MT-09 on the track (rode one the same day) and reminded me of the R3 but with enough extra punch to amp up the excitement. Like the R3, MT-07 was flickable without instability (unlike MT-09) yet still required efficient riding to maintain a high pace while the suspension was a wallowing underdamped mess. Fortunately, the extra HP meant not being passed as often on straights. Tons of fun! Hopefully, Yamaha allows themselves to take the MT-07 foundation but not cripple it with MT-07 suspension and instead grace it with 08-16 R6 front ends they've amortized ages ago. Makes a more premium bike than the MT-07 and they can charge accordingly, like the Tenere 700. Don't simply slap a fairing on an MT-07 and leave the rest identical. That's lazy and buyers won't justify the sportbike looks for the sportbike insurance rates that'll follow.

As for a R3 roadmap wish list, I think Yamaha should stroke the engine out to nearly 400cc but give it a 270 degree crank. They can then go head-to-head with Kawasaki yet offer something unique with the cross plan crank. A 400cc CP2 engine will be something most people would be willing to pay a premium for above the Ninja 400 price. Hello R4!
I agree with you on this!!!! ****, I'd be happy with the same 321cc motor, but reconfigured into a cross-plane crank!!! I track a highly modified FZ-07, which makes me smile ear-to-ear inside me helmet EVERY time I ride it. I also ride a 2019 R3 on the street. I LOVE my R3 (which is "barely" street-legal). My R3 helps me make "better choices" on the street. I do however miss the low-end "torque/grunt" of the cross-plane configuration. Unfortunately, I don't see the cross-plane making it's way to the R3. The R3 in it's current configuration is the best selling bike for Yamaha in the USA. Yamaha will most likely NOT change that (until they have to) :(...

BTW: Adding the R6 front end to the current FZ/MT-07 frame has proven to be a poor choice on the track. The forks have proven to be too "rigid", and transfer that load onto the frames' steering head- resulting in some cracked frames in a "race" application. I'd still LOVE to see a R7 though :cool:!!!!!!

·
Registered
2020 R3, 2022 Trident 660
102 Posts
My '07 Ninja 500 would do 0-60 in 3.8. It definitely launched with notably more violence and ferocity compared to the R3. But I like the R3 specifically BECAUSE it's only got 43 horsepower. It helps keep me out of trouble on the street.
I think I found my next bike. Triumph Trident 660. They are all sold out already so I put my deposit down.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think I found my next bike. Triumph Trident 660. They are all sold out already so I put my deposit down.
The Trident is a wonderful machine. I'm normally not really a fan of the whole naked bike look. IMO, a lot of times, manufacturers build those bikes to have "naked bike style" -- and they end up looking like something clapped together on a Friday afternoon by a couple of bros with hangovers, lacking fit-and-finish and finesse. IMO, however, a true naked bike should simply be a thoughtfully-crafted, minimalist street bike with no extra frills or any unnecessary fluff. The Trident looks spectacular: I get some older-gen Ninja 650 vibes from it, and it also has that distinctive British bike aura about it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
One thing I can say about Triumph is that their fit and finish is up there with the best in the industry, and they tend to use quality components on their bikes, so the suspension and brakes usually perform pretty well.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
One thing I can say about Triumph is that their fit and finish is up there with the best in the industry, and they tend to use quality components on their bikes, so the suspension and brakes usually perform pretty well.

Well, I have had the Trident 660 for a month and I am not enjoying the upright sitting position at all.
I am still wondering and pondering what I should do...
My options are
1. keep riding it and some custom handlebars will come out for people who want more sporty riding position.
2. Sell it and wait for YZF-R7.
3. ?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Until the R7 is released, and you can have a sit on one, I wouldn't discount it also having a fairly upright riding position (compared to a super sport at least). There's a definite trend in that direction.

Have you ever ridden a Street Triple? I'm interested in how the Trident riding position compares to that, as I find my Street Triple's riding position fairly similar to the first gen R3s, even with the Street Triple's wider bars.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Until the R7 is released, and you can have a sit on one, I wouldn't discount it also having a fairly upright riding position compared to a super sport at least. There's a definite trend in that direction.

I love how I sit on the R3 and I would not mind it if it was little more aggressive but not any less.
R7 being more powerful than R3, I expect it to have a more sporty sitting position.

The Trident's engine with 47 ft lb torque and 80 hp is very fun indeed. And the 180mm wide rear tire is so satisfying to look at. Ever since I got the Trident, I kept thinking R3's ergo + Trident's engine and rear tire would be my perfect bike.
I am hoping the new R7 will be that bike.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I hope that you manage to find your ideal bike (and I mean that sincerely).

For me personally, I'm struggling to get excited about the R7. As a replacement for the R6, I just can't see how it could ever live up to that engine. The power delivery in the MT-07 is the complete opposite of the R6 in that it's all torque and no revs.

Before I bought my Street Triple, I took an MT-07 for an extended test ride. It just wasn't for me. Personally, I much prefer a revvy bike to a torquey one, to the point that I'd take an R3 over an MT-07 if given the choice. (My Street Triple is currently getting a service and I have an SV650 courtesy bike. If I had to choose between that and the R3, the R3 would also come out on top.)

The good thing about bikes is that they come in all shapes and sizes with characteristics to suit most riders. I'm fully aware that for everyone who shares my viewpoint, there will be someone out there who thinks the MT-07 power delivery is absolutely perfect for them. We're lucky to be living and riding in a time where there's so many great options available.

Personally, I just wish there was a 400cc 4 cylinder class of sports bikes out there. My old VFR400 is still up there as one of the best bikes I've ever owned and ridden in terms of real world road riding performance. For me, a light, good handling, 60hp, revvy bike is my perfect road bike.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks.
I like the off the line performance on a bike or a car.

I just went for a ride on my R3 before the sun went down. Starting from a stop light, it makes rev noise (oem exhaust) but the acceleration does not match the level of the noise it makes. It is kind of embarrassing to me. Personally, I think it makes sound 3 times louder than the acceleration it is doing. lol.
I have not driven MT-07 but my Trident 660 benchmarked MT-07 so I assume they are very similar. And the Trident's triple engine note matches the acceleration, IMO. I believe it does 0-60 mph under 4 seconds.
I am worried though. If R7 turns out to be all that I wanted, I might sell the R3. :eek:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Possibilities.
1. R7 will be more loaded with high tech than a MT07.
  • Priced $10000
  • Electronic throttle - optional quickshifter up/down
  • Cornering ABS
  • Ride modes
  • TFT dash

2. R7 will be just a newer MT07 with fairings.
  • Priced $8500
  • Throttle by cable
  • Standard ABS
  • Boring

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Possibilities.
1. R7 will be more loaded with high tech than a MT07.
  • Priced $10000
  • Electronic throttle - optional quickshifter up/down
  • Cornering ABS
  • Ride modes
  • TFT dash

2. R7 will be just a newer MT07 with fairings.
  • Priced $8500
  • Throttle by cable
  • Standard ABS
  • Boring
  • Then i will just pay more and get a RS 660.
I think it's gonna be at least 12k+ priced similar if not more than R6.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I hope that you manage to find your ideal bike (and I mean that sincerely).

For me personally, I'm struggling to get excited about the R7. As a replacement for the R6, I just can't see how it could ever live up to that engine. The power delivery in the MT-07 is the complete opposite of the R6 in that it's all torque and no revs.

Before I bought my Street Triple, I took an MT-07 for an extended test ride. It just wasn't for me. Personally, I much prefer a revvy bike to a torquey one, to the point that I'd take an R3 over an MT-07 if given the choice. (My Street Triple is currently getting a service and I have an SV650 courtesy bike. If I had to choose between that and the R3, the R3 would also come out on top.)

The good thing about bikes is that they come in all shapes and sizes with characteristics to suit most riders. I'm fully aware that for everyone who shares my viewpoint, there will be someone out there who thinks the MT-07 power delivery is absolutely perfect for them. We're lucky to be living and riding in a time where there's so many great options available.

Personally, I just wish there was a 400cc 4 cylinder class of sports bikes out there. My old VFR400 is still up there as one of the best bikes I've ever owned and ridden in terms of real world road riding performance. For me, a light, good handling, 60hp, revvy bike is my perfect road bike.

We still have the CB400 Revo here in SE Asia that would tickle your jimmies. You may want to look into importing it if the cost is not too expensive. Its a 400cc Honda with VTEC. It is a pig though, and when it does run into electrical gremlins, whoo boy.

·
Super Moderator
1,294 Posts
The problem with a $12000 R7 is the $8000 Ninja 650 and Yamaha's own $9400 MT-09 or $11000 MT-09 SP. I do not think the R7 will be anywhere near $12000. I could be wrong though!

I am actually considering an MT-09 SP or Duke 890 R currently ...

·
Registered
102 Posts
The problem with a $12000 R7 is the $8000 Ninja 650 and Yamaha's own $9400 MT-09 or $11000 MT-09 SP. I do not think the R7 will be anywhere near $12000. I could be wrong though!

I am actually considering an MT-09 SP or Duke 890 R currently ...
RS660 is $11299. I would not mind that price if R7 can match the performance and features of RS660.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I can't see how the MT-07 engine could be remotely competitive against the RS660 to command price equality. For a start, there's almost a 30 horsepower difference between them. I'll reserve judgement until the bike is released, but it would require some serious retuning of the engine.

My guess is that they'll be aiming more to compete with the Ninja 650 and CBR650 side of the segment than trying to compete outright with Aprilia at this stage. I'd love to be proven wrong though. As if the upper spec side of this segment gets a shake-up, there's going to be some very tasty real-world bikes come out of it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am hoping for electronic throttle and traction control at least.

CBR650R with 86 hp and 46 ft lb has ride modes and is priced at $9700.
R7 with 74 hp and 50 ft lb with ride modes at $9500 will be competitive as long as it is equipped similarly. ie adjustable forks and rear shock.

·
Super Moderator
1,294 Posts
Reportedly the the R7's CARB filing is exactly the same as the MT-07. It's probably going to be an MT-07 with fairings, but an unknown level of electronics, but I wouldn't hold my breath for anything fancy with ~65 whp on tap.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Reportedly the the R7's CARB filing is exactly the same as the MT-07. It's probably going to be an MT-07 with fairings, but an unknown level of electronics, but I wouldn't hold my breath for anything fancy with ~65 whp on tap.
CBR650R dyno torque shows 42ft lb at 8170 rpm. And it offers TC.
MT-07 dyno torque shows 48 ft lb at 6500 rpm.
Traction control on R7 will be nice.
I have put a deposit down at the local dealer. lol.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts