Yamaha R3 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
For Yamaha, it saves emissions-compliance $ if the bike has the same drivetrain as the MT07, and that means THE SAME. Same throttle bodies, same cam timing, exhaust system close enough that they can say the catalyst is functionally the same, same tuning. The good thing is that this keeps the price tag under control. The bad thing - which everyone expected anyhow - is that the engine isn't going to be a match for the Aprilia's power output. Without drive-by-wire, it also limits what they can do in terms of rider aids. Means it had better be less expensive (by a lot) than the Aprilia, and with only a relatively minor premium over the mechanically-identical MT07. I think, under the skin, this will be the same as the MT07 in every respect except mounting points for the bodywork, and handlebars.

Higher handlebars and a rational riding position for street riding is fine, as long as the shape of the bodywork allows lower aftermarket clip-on bars to be installed. Track / race will be changing handlebars anyhow. The renderings above, if accurate, don't look like there will be much wiggle room for changing the stock handlebar position. Racers will also be replacing the shock, and the fork internals, and the rear suspension linkage. If those parts are shared with the MT07 to save $, it doesn't matter much. They're good enough for most people, and racers will be replacing them anyhow.

There's rumblings that the current WorldSSP 600 roadracing class will eventually be phased out and replaced with a SuperTwins class of some sort, which means the engine had better have potential for tuning.

·
Registered
371 Posts
CBR650R dyno torque shows 42ft lb at 8170 rpm. And it offers TC.
MT-07 dyno torque shows 48 ft lb at 6500 rpm.
Traction control on R7 will be nice.
I have put a deposit down at the local dealer. lol.
The CP-2 engine doesn't NEED traction control.... I have a highly modified FZ-07 for the track, that is pushing 85+HP. I have never once needed traction control/electronics. There just isn't enough HP available (especially in stock trim), to warrant the extra costs. My hope is that they put money into where it's needed- SUSPENSION :cool:....

·
Registered
371 Posts
For Yamaha, it saves emissions-compliance $ if the bike has the same drivetrain as the MT07, and that means THE SAME. Same throttle bodies, same cam timing, exhaust system close enough that they can say the catalyst is functionally the same, same tuning. The good thing is that this keeps the price tag under control. The bad thing - which everyone expected anyhow - is that the engine isn't going to be a match for the Aprilia's power output. Without drive-by-wire, it also limits what they can do in terms of rider aids. Means it had better be less expensive (by a lot) than the Aprilia, and with only a relatively minor premium over the mechanically-identical MT07. I think, under the skin, this will be the same as the MT07 in every respect except mounting points for the bodywork, and handlebars.

Higher handlebars and a rational riding position for street riding is fine, as long as the shape of the bodywork allows lower aftermarket clip-on bars to be installed. Track / race will be changing handlebars anyhow. The renderings above, if accurate, don't look like there will be much wiggle room for changing the stock handlebar position. Racers will also be replacing the shock, and the fork internals, and the rear suspension linkage. If those parts are shared with the MT07 to save $, it doesn't matter much. They're good enough for most people, and racers will be replacing them anyhow.

There's rumblings that the current WorldSSP 600 roadracing class will eventually be phased out and replaced with a SuperTwins class of some sort, which means the engine had better have potential for tuning.
You sir, are always the voice of reason-

·
Registered
2020 R3, 2020 Husq Vit 401
128 Posts
The CP-2 engine doesn't NEED traction control.... I have a highly modified FZ-07 for the track, that is pushing 85+HP. I have never once needed traction control/electronics. There just isn't enough HP available (especially in stock trim), to warrant the extra costs. My hope is that they put money into where it's needed- SUSPENSION :cool:....
You don't need ABS either. Honestly, I haven't activated the ABS on my bikes yet.
However, I have activated TC on my Trident many times. I am still a rookie and I need all the safety blanket I can get!

·
Registered
307 Posts
You don't need ABS either. Honestly, I haven't activated the ABS on my bikes yet.
However, I have activated TC on my Trident many times. I am still a rookie and I need all the safety blanket I can get!
Have you ever ridden in the rain my friend? I for one am pretty grateful for ABS for those times I overcooked a braking zone in the wet.

·
Registered
371 Posts
This is a problem for me, and an occasion where technology isn't necessarily a "good thing".... I'm an "old guy"- I'm 52 years old, and own multiple track bikes. I grew up riding in the the dirt. I learned what it feels like to lose traction when accelerating, as well as braking, at a VERY young age. Once applied too asphalt, the concept is exactly the same.... Humans have become too reliant on technology to keep them "safe"... What happens when the technology/electronics "fail" on your Trident???? You will have no idea until it's too late to correct. This is why the R3 is even "a thing".... I've been riding for over 40 years. I've owned everything from a a Goldwing 1800, to an R1. I can tell you first hand that when things go bad, it happens at a rate you can't even imagine!!! The R3 is such a well designed/marvel of engineering. I hate to see people use it as a "stepping-stone" to get to something bigger/better.... It's not a sprint, it's a marathon. Enjoy your time with the R3, learn everything you can from it :cool:-

·
Registered
128 Posts
I used to drive miata. I went thru several of them. Autocrossed with them. Never got into accident in them.
now i drive a tesla model 3 awd. Different kind of fun. I like high tech.

·
Registered
128 Posts
DUAL FRONT DISC BRAKE!!!! It is different from MT-07 in that aspect, which means there will be other things more premium than MT-07!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
The MT-07 has dual front disc brake already! R7 has USD forks of course.
Oh... lol.
And the shifter rod is not quick shifter equipped... So probably throttle by cable then.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hmm they got rid of the signal on the mirrors?
I know, right? It will probably be $500-$700 above MT-07 price.

·
Super Moderator
1,178 Posts
I have a feeling the new R7 is meant to upgrade and replace .. not the YZF- R6.. but Yamaha's FZ6R. The FZ6 was introduced in 2004, then rebranded as the FZ6R in a full fairing version in 2010. The FZ6/R shared the R6's engine.. but was re-tuned to 90HP (roughly15HP less than the R6) ... making the FZ6R more rider friendly for everyday use.. and much less race oriented like the R6. Not a bad thing, since the R6 is wicked fast and powerful... but seldom regarded as a comfortable, user-friendly bike for those of us who never ride the track..
2017 Yamaha FZ6R Supersport Motorcycle - Model Home (yamahamotorsports.com)

·
Registered
128 Posts
But then why are the handlebars so low?
I would expect them to be about 1” higher.

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
I have a feeling the new R7 is meant to upgrade and replace .. not the YZF- R6.. but Yamaha's FZ6R.
I had an FZ6R, no way, the R7 handlebars are vastly lower. The FZ6R wasn't really just a rebranded FZ6 as it lost a lot of power. The promo R7 shot has even removed the mirrors for the track.
fz6r.jpg

r7.jpg

·
Registered
128 Posts
Possibilities.
1. R7 will be more loaded with high tech than a MT07.
  • Priced $10000
  • Electronic throttle - optional quickshifter up/down
  • Cornering ABS
  • Ride modes
  • TFT dash

2. R7 will be just a newer MT07 with fairings.
  • Priced $8500
  • Throttle by cable
  • Standard ABS
  • Boring
Oh well. $8999.
i was hoping for something more exciting.
I will probably end up with a RS660.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Have you ever ridden in the rain my friend? I for one am pretty grateful for ABS for those times I overcooked a braking zone in the wet.
I ride almost everyday. I get caught in the rain often. did 100 mile rain ride a few days ago. with no abs it can get pretty slippy.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts