61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,308 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
9k is tempting. But I wonder if any dealers gonna be selling it at msrp with the chips shortage and what not we may see markup everywhere.

·
Registered
401 Posts
You can pre-order them here in NZ for $10480 USD arriving December of this year. There appears to be a 655cc and 689cc version? Personally I think they look great, but the Honda CBR-650R appeals a lot more.

·
Registered
232 Posts
You can pre-order them here in NZ for $10480 USD arriving December of this year. There appears to be a 655cc and 689cc version? Personally I think they look great, but the Honda CBR-650R appeals a lot more.

View attachment 69048
Are they the LAMS or the HO versions? I assume the LAMS version at that price.

Edit: Nevermind, I see your image has one of each.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 R3, 2020 Husq Vit 401
124 Posts
I am thinking i should just go for a 2020 R6.

·
Registered
232 Posts
What kind of riding do you mostly plan on doing? The R6 and the R7 are likely to be night and day compared to one another.

The R6 will have true sportsbike ergonomics, and an engine that revs to the moon but doesn't make all that much power down low.

The R7 is likely to be significantly more comfortable than the R6, with less, but more immediately accessible power.

The R7 would probably comfortably beat the R6 off the line in a drag race, but the R6 would leave it for dead, once it got up and running.

·
Registered
124 Posts
What kind of riding do you mostly plan on doing? The R6 and the R7 are likely to be night and day compared to one another.

The R6 will have true sportsbike ergonomics, and an engine that revs to the moon but doesn't make all that much power down low.

The R7 is likely to be significantly more comfortable than the R6, with less, but more immediately accessible power.

The R7 would probably comfortably beat the R6 off the line in a drag race, but the R6 would leave it for dead, once it got up and running.

I dont track so R6 will be excessive. R7 doesnt excite me. It looks like my r3. Sounds bad. Only 72hp. And $9000!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I dont track so R6 will be excessive. R7 doesnt excite me. It looks like my r3. Sounds bad. Only 72hp. And $9000!!
Have you looked at the CBR 650r? Much more bang for your buck, 4cyl and it comes restricted out of the factory. This means that if you wanted to, you can quite easily bump the HP up considerably (30-40hp) by derestricting it. It's also a lot more ergonomic than the R6.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My advice: Go to a dealer and take an MT-07 for a ride. That'll tell you whether the R7 is for you in terms of performance and engine characteristics. If you can, also do the same with an R6.

That'll at least answer the question about whether you prefer a torquey engine or a revvy engine.

Once you know that, you can start thinking about the ergonomics and find a bike that will work for you.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My advice: Go to a dealer and take an MT-07 for a ride. That'll tell you whether the R7 is for you in terms of performance and engine characteristics. If you can, also do the same with an R6.

That'll at least answer the question about whether you prefer a torquey engine or a revvy engine.

Once you know that, you can start thinking about the ergonomics and find a bike that will work for you.

I already know all of the answers. Lol.
i liked torquey Triumph Trident 660 (80hp 47 ft lb, TC and ride modes, $8100) i sold. I have problem paying $9000 for a 72HP R7 with no features.
R6 is all good except that it is $12300.
RS660 is $11300 with questionable reliability and 2cyl sound and vibration.
There is no bike that i am really excited about.
all i know is my R3 feels too slow for me. Not enough torque.
no easy answer…

my life would have been easier if R7 had TC and 85HP at $9000.

·
Registered
124 Posts
And i would have gladly bought the R7 and install up down QS.

so the most convenient solution is to get a R6.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I already know all of the answers. Lol.
i liked torquey Triumph Trident 660 (80hp 47 ft lb, TC and ride modes, $8100) i sold. I have problem paying $9000 for a 72HP R7 with no features.
R6 is all good except that it is $12300.
RS660 is $11300 with questionable reliability and 2cyl sound and vibration.
There is no bike that i am really excited about.
all i know is my R3 feels too slow for me. Not enough torque.
no easy answer…

my life would have been easier if R7 had TC and 85HP at $9000.
All the prices that you quote are new bikes right? Why not also look at secondhand options?

There's no need to front up with 12k to get hold of an R6. I'd imagine that there's tons of uses ones available.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wait you just bought that bike, you already sold it??
I did sell it.
It was too upright for me. I loved the torque and 80hp triple engine. I would twist the throttle with fingertips and the bike would accelerate nicely even at freeway speeds. Very satisfying, yet not overwhelming or scary fast.
I am expecting the R7 will have similar torque. but 72hp is disappointing. it means it will not have as much power at higher speeds? I would have been thrilled if R7 had 90 hp.

Blue R3 and Blue R7 will overlap too much so I will probably end up selling the R3 if I get a R7. So sad. :(

R3: 8.92 lb/hp
R7: 5.75 lb/hp
Trident 660: 5.20 lb/hp
R6: 3.58 lb/hp

·
Super Moderator
1,308 Posts
If you want torque, you might want to look at the KTM Duke 890 R. Well, that bike is upright. It's not just engine torque -- KTM does street gearing right. Maybe you could add lower bars to the 890, not sure.

·
Registered
369 Posts
🔵 A review of the new 2022 R7 compliments of MotorCycle.com.
2022 Yamaha YZF-R7 First Ride Review – Sport Riding Distilled (motorcycle.com)
I thought that review was pretty well done. I own both an R3, as well as a track-prepped FZ-07. The CP2 motor is the heart of the beast. I owned an R6, and absolutely HATED it.... It was was hard to ride (well), as all the power lives north of 11,000 rpm. The CP2 motor is so easy to ride, and just makes you smile every time. 72HP isn't a lot, but how the CP2 motor accesses that HP is amazing, and effortless. I managed to get my HP into the low 80's on my 07, without modifying the internals of the motor. There are 07's in Moto America race series, that are pushing close to 90HP. Once you get into that range, the transmission gets over-stressed (specifically 5th gear). I think this bike is going to be a big hit for Yamaha. The key factor will be getting people to take them on a demo ride. 72HP doesn't look good "on paper". Once you get that out of your head, and just ride it- you will quickly realize that number doesn't mean a thing :cool:

61 - 80 of 94 Posts