Yamaha R3 Forums banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
I'm not a big COTW fan, but I liked the Chase On Two Wheels R7 video, because actually he's not a track fiend and was out of his element there, and he didn't rattle off the spec sheet for 10 minutes, and mostly just cruised around the track letting the bike speak. Everyone else shouting over the engine to sell the bike.

·
Registered
103 Posts
No, I really don't need anymore power on the street..... Once I got into track days (over a decade ago), I got over the need for big HP bikes. My 2019 "street" R3 has front & rear suspension/tire upgrades that makes the chassis equal to, if not BETTER than most of the sport bikes on the road. That makes it more fun (to me) than "grip-it-and-rip-it", straight line HP-
I'm reasonably happy with the stock front (though I am sure that obviously, much better stuff is available), but the rear shock isn't right for me. I've never owned a sport bike with slick, high-spec, fully adjustable suspension, and I never planned on suspension upgrades for the R3 (just due to cost considerations), but maybe I will one of these days. It would be cool to have it all dialed in and on-point haha!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm waiting to see what kind of package the RC490 comes out with, and what kind of price point it sells at. It is rumoured to put out about 60 hp, which is exactly what I would like in a road bike - enough to use all of the engine without being super irresponsible on the street. I miss my VFR400. That bike was a total blast on the street when the road got tight and twisty.

Regarding the rumoured R7, I test rode an MT-07 before I bought my Street Triple. The engine just wasn't for me. To be honest, I found it's power delivery boring. I much prefer the more rev happy nature of the Triumph over the lower down grunt of the MT-07. Its the same reason that I'd choose the R3 over a CBR500 (and even the MT-07 for that matter) , so it's not the outright power, more the feeling of how the available power is delivered.
Yea a lot of people tend to complain about peaky powerbands, but personally, I quite enjoy them (though I also like the tractors plenty)! I would love to own one of those 20,000 RPM 250 four cylinders LOL :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
This is a problem for me, and an occasion where technology isn't necessarily a "good thing".... I'm an "old guy"- I'm 52 years old, and own multiple track bikes. I grew up riding in the the dirt. I learned what it feels like to lose traction when accelerating, as well as braking, at a VERY young age. Once applied too asphalt, the concept is exactly the same.... Humans have become too reliant on technology to keep them "safe"... What happens when the technology/electronics "fail" on your Trident???? You will have no idea until it's too late to correct. This is why the R3 is even "a thing".... I've been riding for over 40 years. I've owned everything from a a Goldwing 1800, to an R1. I can tell you first hand that when things go bad, it happens at a rate you can't even imagine!!! The R3 is such a well designed/marvel of engineering. I hate to see people use it as a "stepping-stone" to get to something bigger/better.... It's not a sprint, it's a marathon. Enjoy your time with the R3, learn everything you can from it :cool:-

I've always owned small, low-power machines (mostly) -- mostly because I've never been able to afford bigger bikes, to be honest. I agree that too many people are only trying to get more horsepower without appreciating what you can still do with much less horsepower. Tons of horsepower can be very nice, but underpowered slugs shouldn't be overlooked or underestimated LOL!

And I agree regarding all the fancy electronics. I understand that those things become pretty **** necessary when you're pushing 200+ horsepower that's impossible to control without them, but yea for more normal machines, I like the analogue, minimalist approach.

·
Registered
103 Posts
**** it...I've got to go (things to do...) for now, but this is a good little thread, and I shall be back when I get the chance :)

·
Super Moderator
1,178 Posts
I believe Yammy's not interested in 'up-grading' the R6. The R6's declining sales numbers were obvious.. its appeal was too narrow and focused on either the track or 'racer wannabes'. Extra electronics, quality suspensions and brakes, and horsepower are expensive.. and the R6 had become too costly for a lot of folks. Unlike Ducati, Aprilia, and some few others... Yamaha depends on a large market of buyers to allow the company to keep quality up and prices competitive.
The R7 isn't a newly developed 'almost' track-ready bike, but a new model that re-purposes an existing motorcycle that's more than capable of holding it's own. Not the hooligan bike some folks were hoping for... But a bike that has plenty to offer 'everyday riders. And, IMO.. is a much better option for an "upgrade" from the R3 than the R6 ever was.

·
Registered
2020 R3, 2020 Husq Vit 401
128 Posts
And yet, they premiered the bike at a race track...

Reactions: xorbe

·
Super Moderator
1,178 Posts
Well where else can they ride to demonstrate how well it performs. I can slap a bow tie on a pig, but it's still a pig. I think the R7 will be a great bike, but it's not meant to replace the R6's power...We'll see how well it sells after the original hoopla is over,. It's entering a shrinking sport bike segment of buyers, so I hope it does well.

·
Registered
2020 R3, 2020 Husq Vit 401
128 Posts
if they already know 99% of the buyers will be riding it 99% of the time in the streets, they should have let the vloggers do the street ride review, IMHO.
The track review was irrelevant to me. I am still waiting for street ride reviews.
And it is a sport bike. Not a supersport bike, IMO.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I understand the trends away from hardcore performance-focused machines, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed by it. The pinnacle of racing four stroke motorcycles is impressive indeed, and to me, it's sad to see a decline from that high point, which may never be reached again. The power of something like an S1000RR is good for well over 100 mph -- in a 3,000 pound CAR! And we get it in a tiny little bike with a fraction of that weight. I could go on, but again, though I understand the way the market is going (and even appreciate it from a practical perspective), I do wish that the thoroughbreds didn't have to be sacrificed in the process.

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
I don't think any liter bikes have been canceled just yet ... not sure what's going to happen in that segment. Probably they just all become expensive.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I understand the sentiment. I'm still bitter that they cancelled the 400cc range of 4 cylinder sports bikes.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

81 - 94 of 94 Posts