Yamaha R3 Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Out of curiosity, I looked up the price of those engine covers.

Uhhh, not happening. I could get almost three complete sets of GB covers for the price of just the Graves clutch cover once brought into Canada.

The GB Racing covers are FIM approved. Take a close look at the clutch cover on Alex Lowes' WorldSBK from last year ... (good enough for them, it's good enough for me) https://www.bikesrepublic.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/2018-Yamaha-YZF-R1-PATA-Yamaha-Official-WorldSBK-team_10.jpg

If you have a special deal with Graves, be my guest. If the currency situation works out better for you, likewise. For those of us in Canada, importing from the UK or EU is generally pretty favourable.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I have the full T-Rex "protection package" on my FZ-07 (frame sliders, axle sliders, case sliders, rear spools). They make a **** nice product!!!! They offer a "no-cut" frame slider that would be my first choice in a frame slider if I were to track my 2019 R3 with OEM bodywork. Woodcraft make the BEST frame sliders for the pre-2019 models (in my opinion). T-Rex did the best they could with the 2019 bodywork.... They had a tough job too do. Yamaha kind of "hand-cuffed" them with the 2019 bodywork... Frame sliders are most effective when mounted directly to the frame. The OEM bodywork for 2019 isn't very "user friendly" for mounting frame sliders directly to the frame (cutting holes in the bodywork). That being said, I think the T-Rex "no-cut" frame sliders are the best option for tracking a 2019 R3-:) For axle sliders, I can't recommend anything other than Woodcraft- They are the "bee's knee's" :)
How do you like that fz07 on the track? Friends keep telling me to go back to a supersport but I’m not ready to find around 8 more seconds off my lap time before I call it “done” for the ultralight weights. I’ve been on a few middle weights for a few years (nontrack though) and truly enjoy riding on the track in the tiny little R3. I am also a cheap ass and saving money on tires is a great advantage on the R3.

One thing I will probably not get used to is the bars and more upgright position of the fz. Then spending money on setting it up for track is gonna be another money sink, just like getting this current bike to where it is lol.

·
Registered
218 Posts
How do you like that fz07 on the track? Friends keep telling me to go back to a supersport but I’m not ready to find around 8 more seconds off my lap time before I call it “done” for the ultralight weights. I’ve been on a few middle weights for a few years (nontrack though) and truly enjoy riding on the track in the tiny little R3. I am also a cheap ass and saving money on tires is a great advantage on the R3.

One thing I will probably not get used to is the bars and more upgright position of the fz. Then spending money on setting it up for track is gonna be another money sink, just like getting this current bike to where it is lol.
I absolutely LOVE it!!! I've never been this happy with a bike in over 40 years of riding. That being said, I've got nearly as much money into mods, as what I paid for the bike (new).... My only complaint is the rate I goes through back tires. It gets expensive. I'm sure it would be a different story for street riding though. I haven't spent much time on my R3. I bought it in November (in Minnesota). Everyone I know that has an R3 loves it! I'm not going to track it, but look forward to getting to know it-

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
That’s what I worry about, the tires. I do a lot of trackdays. I’ve also got about as much into mods as I do the bike. First R3 was bought used, and I sold that when I left San Diego. Bought a brand new R25 and sold that after a few years and went back to Ann r3. The parts from the first bike went to the R35, and hen to the current R3.

I really love how much I can save on tires since the R3 is such a low power bike and doesn’t chew up tires like a middle/large displacement bike.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I absolutely LOVE it!!! I've never been this happy with a bike in over 40 years of riding. That being said, I've got nearly as much money into mods, as what I paid for the bike (new).... My only complaint is the rate I goes through back tires. It gets expensive. I'm sure it would be a different story for street riding though. I haven't spent much time on my R3. I bought it in November (in Minnesota). Everyone I know that has an R3 loves it! I'm not going to track it, but look forward to getting to know it-
Also, why not consider a trackday on the R3, just for comparisons sake?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Also, why not consider a trackday on the R3, just for comparisons sake?
As much as I would like to, my 50 year old body can't ride a "proper" sport bike on the the track anymore.... I had a neck fusion done about 3 years ago. My limited range of motion won't allow me to lift my head high enough to see where I'm going on a track. I used to track a KTM RC390. I loved it!!! After my surgery, I couldn't ride it anymore. I needed something with a more upright body position. I pulled all my "go-fast parts" off the RC390, and sold it. I ordered a new KTM Duke 390 (to put my parts on). After several missed delivery dates, I had to get SOMETHING??? I bought my FZ-07, two weeks before my first track day of 2017. (I do wear a Leatt neck brace on track now too). I really like the FZ-07, and I'm "over" the Duke 390 now. I originally ordered a 2020 MT-03 for this year..... In November, I was at my local dealer, and threw a leg over a 2019 R3 (just for grins).... I was really surprised at the "neutral" body position??? I went back there the next day, and bought it! I know the MT-03 would have probably been a better choice. I just couldn't get past the styling (or lack there of) on the MT-03. It just looked unfinished to me, and I think it's kind of ugly? Anyway, I'm happy with the R3 for street duty-

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Is it that bad? I feel my R3’s and R25, even with clip ons feels pretty uptight, similar to my N650. That’s comparing it to the extreme though, which is my Zx6r.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Is it that bad? I feel my R3’s and R25, even with clip ons feels pretty uptight, similar to my N650. That’s comparing it to the extreme though, which is my Zx6r.
Yup.... It is that bad. Folks always ask me to take their track bikes out. I usually make it 2-3 laps, and then head back in... I've ridden an R3 on track, that still had the OEM bars on it (22mm higher than my 2019), and my neck STILL couldn't take it. I thought I wanted an MT-03. I knew it was a good choice. I just couldn't do it- that is just too ugly for my tastes. I threw a leg over a 2019 R3 in November, and bought it the next day. I only got 80 miles on it before I had to put it away for the winter. I was pretty surprised by the surprisingly neutral ergonomics. I'm sure I can enjoy it for what it is- a street "toy". I'm 50 years old, and I feel **** lucky to still be able to track ride my FZ-07. My days of all-day bike rides are clearly over. I can take my little R3 out for a cruise after work, or get up early on a Sunday morning, and go for breakfast in the country. I'm not gonna do a ton of miles on it. I'll probably do 120 miles a day MAX, but it reminds me that I'm still "young"-

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have Been on the Track with one organization, essentially in street trim. Another place I am considering needs more done (silicone and safety wire), they are Ok with the stock fairings (tape the lights) but need a catch can for all of the breather hoses. How would I go about doing this for the stock fairings? I tried googling but not searching right... it seems I may need to go race fairing with belly pan for this track unless someone can help. I am trying to save this cost for now as suggested in the first response to the OP. Thanks for the advice in advance...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Try doing a search for "Motion Pro catch can"... They are pretty generic, and designed for dirt bikes that got turned into a supermoto track bike. I think they are pretty inexpensive as well? I've seen them used on other track bikes too. They are designed for coolant, but I've seen people run all the overflow/vents in there as well. Most race organizations require you to run a full belly pan that will hold 1.5X the oil capacity. As long as you're not "racing", the Motion-Pro catch can system may satisfy their requirement. Good luck-

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try doing a search for "Motion Pro catch can"... They are pretty generic, and designed for dirt bikes that got turned into a supermoto track bike. I think they are pretty inexpensive as well? I've seen them used on other track bikes too. They are designed for coolant, but I've seen people run all the overflow/vents in there as well. Most race organizations require you to run a full belly pan that will hold 1.5X the oil capacity. As long as you're not "racing", the Motion-Pro catch can system may satisfy their requirement. Good luck-
Thanks- I see the product... not sure where on earth I would mount it anywhere close to the hose routings... I need to think on it I guess.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts