Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hounding hotbodies to make a higher seat as part of their bodywork (as well as a tank cover), and they finally agreed to do it, but something was just brought to my attention. Where I'm racing, CVMA, you can put whatever bodywork and seat on that you want. But I just found out, that some, or many, organizations restrict the bodywork so that the seat has to be stock or at least look stock.

So for those of you racing:

Do you think the bike needs a taller seat than stock?

And in the organization you are racing, are you allowed to use a superbike style fiberglass seat with a foam pad, or does your seat have to look stock?

If you are required to have a stock looking seat, and you want it higher, do you have a plan to modify the stock seat to make it higher, or will you try to get something like that done?

Thanks! Trying to sort out the best option to get Hotbodies to make. They wanted to combine the seat and tank cover into 1 piece to make it simpler, but if that makes it unusable for a lot of you, that's important to know... :)

Jesse

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Neither WERA or USBA restrict seats that I am aware of...
Taller guys might like a taller seat FWIW.

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Gregg Spears mentioned that AFM restricts the seat and that others may also, that's the info that I received. Anyone else?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hmm. That sucks. My read of the rules is that you can replace the seat with something 'similar in appearance'.

Seat, seat base and associated bodywork may be replaced with parts similar in appearance to the original, stock parts. Seat brackets may be added, but not removed from frame. Profile may be changed to allow for proper number display.

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2 reasons:

The seat is so low, that even with the stock peg heights I felt a little cramped and awkward when cornering. Raising the pegs for clearance only makes this worse.

Second, the stock seat has a deep V groove shape that kinda forces you to sit in one spot. I prefer a flatter seat that allows me to move forward or back as necessary to put my weight where I want it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I actually lowered my ninja 2-fitty seat by nearly 2" (whatever the thickness of the stock seat foam is) and really preferred it. I mounted an RS 125 race tail to the stock seat plastic framework base, then opted not to use a foam pad because I liked the way my leathers slid (anti-friction) on the fiberglass surface.

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone else have any input on this? Come on, I know there are more racers out there than that! What do you all think about the seat height?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would loooove a taller seat height on the R3! It's literally the one I dislike the absolute most! A taller seat height would transform the R3 into legit baby Supersport!!!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Anyone else have any input on this? Come on, I know there are more racers out there than that! What do you all think about the seat height?

I'm 6'3" and the stock foot rear sets are already cramped as ****. MCRA (who I will be racing with) doesn't care about seat modifications so I would be willing to try a taller seat if the price is right (sub $50). How will it integrate into track fairing kits? I know the hot bodies tank / seat are one piece but I've never personally taken one apart to know how it meets with the stock seat.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Here is Australia this is allowed. The kit I have does raise the seat and it really does improve the bike. Also uses foam pad instead of stock seat

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would loooove a taller seat height on the R3! It's literally the one I dislike the absolute most! A taller seat height would transform the R3 into legit baby Supersport!!!

My taller seats are ready!!! I picked them up 2 days ago, I'll get them on the website for order this weekend. Thanks for your patience!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here is Australia this is allowed. The kit I have does raise the seat and it really does improve the bike. Also uses foam pad instead of stock seat
What kit are you using bro? Where abouts in Oz are you??

·
Registered
424 Posts
What kit are you using bro? Where abouts in Oz are you??

It's a kit supplied by YRD/Race Centre, it's actually really poorly manufactured and I wouldn't recommend it (apparently their new stock is better but I haven't seen it for myself)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm curious about this product. I was just thinking the other day how I wanted to raise my seat up at least an inch. Seat to peg distance is really tight with Woodcraft pegs set up in the high location (where they don't touch down). I come off the track and immediately dangle my legs to get blood into my knees.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just ordered. Sending you my stock seat when I get the box from you.

If you feel like including a couple black R3-racing.com stickers I'll toss them on the bike. I got a few podiums this year but need to lose weight over the off season as those kids have about a -70 pound advantage on me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Taller seat is a must for me as a racer, it grants me much more ability to control my bike and maneuver my body weight without disrupting its stability by getting off the bike more rather than sliding into its center of gravity.

I am currently in development of a "stock" replacement seat that will add 2" to the seated height and also provide a firm superbike style race pad, so you will get the extended height and road feedback. It will be a direct replacement so anyone currently with bodywork will not have to modify anything.

Should have product by mid Dec. I will keep everyone posted. Anyone interested in pre-ordering one feel free to PM me.:nerd:

Reactions: Gizmo
1 - 20 of 22 Posts