Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a set of Racetech emulators along with a set of their springs. Its a very simple job requiring no special tools other than a way to measure the oil level. You do have to remove the forks from the bike in order to get to the original damping rods so you can drill the required extra holes.

I ended up using their supplied blue springs at 3 turns of preload along with 15 wt oil. I also drilled two extra low speed compression damping holes in the emulators. The result is fantastic! The bike literally glides over low speed bumps and is very compliant over all but the largest square edged bumps. I may try reducing the emulator spring preload to 2 turns just to see how it reacts. The heavier 15 wt oil (OE is 10 wt) gives it good rebound damping so it feels very stable. I picked up a retractable parts grabber from the auto parts store which works perfectly for removing the valve to adjust it which is very easy on the R3. I had both emulators out, drilled and reinstalled within 30 minutes. All you have to do is remove the fork cap, spacer, spring and then fish the valve out. I did one side at a time with the bike on the side stand.

I also installed a JRI shock. I'm still tuning it so I'll report back on that once I'm satisfied with it.

Marc

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice write up Marc, we're running the Gold Valve Emulators on the front of our CBR250r and are very happy with them and the spring that RaceTech supplied with them, we've been just cutting spacers to be used with our differing weights and so far have had no issues with them. We installed the Spears Racing Intiminators in our R3 and are really liking them so far and can't wait for track testing next weekend.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I spent a day with the guy who invented the Intiminators once when I was over at Ricor having some shocks tuned for a Harley I had. I don't know if you're old enough but if you recall Gyro Gearloose from the comics, this was the guy. A real mad scientist. He started to tell me some tale of woe that had something to do with Progressive Suspension and how he lost control of the rights to the Intiminator's design or something like that. He was hard to follow :) He does like unusual names, though. How about VIBRANATOR for another invention of his that quells handlebar vibration. He also came up with a device for canceling vibration in helicopters. Like I said, quite the guy.

Marc

·
Registered
124 Posts
And "a way to measure the oil level" can be as simple as a plastic ruler with a zip-tie around it. My favorite kind of "special tool," along with the oil drain funnel cut out of an empty pop bottle. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts