Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my first race with the Norcal Moto Series Challenge in Dixon, CA last Sunday. The event was held at Kinsmen Kart Club, a small but awesome and technical track. There were about 14 different race classes ranging from mini moto pocket bikes to 250-450cc expert. The small Kayo Cup bikes were out in force with some incredibly fast kids running as fast if not faster then some of the expert adults! I entered the 230cc beginner class with my R3 in street form, lights taped up with Pirelli Rosso II's.
The experience was fun and very challenging. I had a hard time finding consistency on the track and made a lot of mistakes. However as a beginner, I mainly focused on enjoying myself and pushing within my comfort zone. At least until qualifying where I tried to latch onto a faster rider and keep pace for as long as possible. That was fun. I learned some better lines and found that I could brake a bit later and carry a bit more speed.
A small racing series like the Norcal Moto Challenge is awesome and I am so thankful that I have a local series that introduced me to racing. It is very low pressure, fun and a great intro to racing. The event staff was very friendly and helpful. All the fellow racers were also friendly and helpful. Just an all around good time with good racing!
With more track time, better riding technique and a bit more confidence I feel I could really push myself on the R3. I am now really interested in racing and will sign up for a membership with AFM so I can take the New Racer class. In the meantime, I'll be doing track days and slowly converting my street R3 to a race bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm pretty sure CA has some racing schools, they teach you how to take corners, best lines, body position, speed, trail braking etc. may be of interest for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I think there are a few racing schools in CA. I personally did the Cornering School with Can Akkaya through Superbike-Coach.com and that gave me the confidence to race. I definitely need more track time and instructions, but I am definitely growing as a rider everytime I can make it out to the track to try and reinforce some of the knowledge learned.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Maybe just the photos not capturing the whole situation but it doesn't look like you hang off the bike? And body position is a really big aspect to cornering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are definitely right about body position Redrose! A few people at the Race suggested that I work on body position if I want to get further with racing. So, I signed up for a Knee Down course! And I'll be trying to get as much track time as possible so I can get comfortable hanging off of the bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey jman. There were seven riders originally, but three were significantly faster so they were grouped together and I was grouped with the beginners. The next race is going to be on the 26th in Stockton at the 99 Raceway. You should come race with me! Or at least check it out. Anyone else interested should come too!

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
You are definitely right about body position Redrose! A few people at the Race suggested that I work on body position if I want to get further with racing. So, I signed up for a Knee Down course! And I'll be trying to get as much track time as possible so I can get comfortable hanging off of the bike.

Have fun man! Would be awesome to see some pictures too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Been working on body positioning. Starting to get the feel for hanging off and dragging the knee. I need to loosen up a bit more and not feel so tense though.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's hard not to feel tense with half of your butt hanging off the motorcycle to get your body closer to the ground. But with a lot more practice I'm sure it'll feel more natural.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey thats my uncle on the #1 podium hahaha, small world!
And third is a legend for wearing a Pink Floyd singlet.

To the OP, it sounds like you had a great time. Getting a tow from better riders is a great way to learn so long as you don't try to keep up. If you can get some proper coaching when and where it's available, it's worth its weight in gold.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
And third is a legend for wearing a Pink Floyd singlet.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I think that is the OP :)

Reactions: Yamfanr3

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup, that's me! I'm a big Pink Floyd fan. The singlet thing had me laughing pretty hard though. Next time I have to remember not to leave my tank top tucked in.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
You are hanging off the bike with your lower body but upper is not. I know it may feel like you are but a lot of times you look at pics and realize “man my bp isn’t the best. Try thinking COW or chin over wrist. That puts your upper body more on the inside of the bike rather than still relatively centered.

Some things I gotta ask ( and I am no means a racer or long time track rider, having only done about a dozen now), do you feel more comfortable dragging knee on your left? I ask cause I still can’t drag my right lol. Are you using all the gears at your local track?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You are hanging off the bike with your lower body but upper is not. I know it may feel like you are but a lot of times you look at pics and realize ?man my bp isn?t the best. Try thinking COW or chin over wrist. That puts your upper body more on the inside of the bike rather than still relatively centered.

Some things I gotta ask ( and I am no means a racer or long time track rider, having only done about a dozen now), do you feel more comfortable dragging knee on your left? I ask cause I still can?t drag my right lol. Are you using all the gears at your local track?
COW, I like that. Easy to remember and apply. Thanks, I'll for sure try that next time I'm at the track. I completely agree with you that my bp needs work. I was a bit tense on the bars and seeing the pictures really reflect that. And yea, lol, I am definitely more comfortable on my left. Haven't touched the right knee yet. As far as gearing at my track, I only get to fourth. It's a pretty small track with a lot of turns.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts