Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Racing Shock $$$$$$$$$

14K views 41 replies 10 participants last post by  Contrails 
#1 ·
C'mon, we all want a shock that worx for us. ESPECIALLY if we're racing it. Why T F do we havta pay $1,000 for a friggin shock? R&D already recouped their $$ decades ago. I'm a budget racer, and can't afford all the "bells'n'whistles" of the shock I REALLY want.
...BUT , it's still upwards of 1K. (Ohlins is selling for , [choke] $1,290) Geez-Louise!
Why can't a "mass production" manufacturer sell us a shock that we can AFFORD?
****-LLO
I bought a $5,000 bike because I'm trying to race on a BUDGET!!!

#4 ·
Err, racing is expensive, and Ohlins is also expensive. You could get the OEM shock rebuilt for about half of what the Ohlins costs.
For about the same, you can also try to source from an Asian vendor, one of the lesser known brand shocks, such as Hyperpro, RPM, or YSS

#6 ·
Thanx for the heads-up, 3th3r. I've been buying most of my aftermarket parts by shopping for the R25. My searches haven't turned up anything from the vendors/ mfrs you listed. I'll definitely research them!

#10 ·
It depends what kind of shock you're getting too.
I called up my local race shop and asked them about suspension.
Penske apparently has some that fit.
Single adjustable was about $650-700 i believe
Double adjustable $950
Triple adjustable $1200+

I believe Ohlins will be the same in terms of different types of shocks. I'm a budget racer too so paying for $600-700 for a shock is expensive enough let alone $1000.
I was looking at Ohlins US site and their single adjustable shocks for most bikes are about $650-700 as well. Double and triple adjustable seemed to have similar price range as the Penske.
I don't know the exact fit and part number but I'm sure there is some out there but no has cross referenced it yet

#13 ·
I tried finding a place that sold these with no luck. There used to be a shop in LA that sold RPM shocks, B6 Motorsports, but they are apparently closed for good now.

KD Project Racing has the Ohlins YA467 for sale for $549, which is about half what they cost from Japan.

http://www.kdprojectracing.com/product/1770/ohlins-absorber-for-yamaha-r3-r25-สำเนา

You have to purchase through an email request to the owner, Anutad Vongchant, requesting a total with shipping, then pay by PayPal.

I sent him an email yesterday to place an order but the shop is closed until Monday.

#20 ·
Your shock should be cheaper than my order for shipping since it's just one small item. Probably around $50.00 or so?

The 4 parts I was going to order totaled $153.00 and he quoted me $150.00 to ship it. So, that's not going to work. Back to square one and waiting for stuff to be available locally.

#33 ·
Here's the response I got from Jerry at Ohlins USA:

Hello Travis. Thank you for your email.
The ?61104-69? spring on a ?YA 467? shock should be good for your weight. It is set for 176# rider (dressed). You can take on an additional 132# of weight before the next step stiffer spring rate will be required! The max weight load rating for this spring is 308# (rider + passenger and/or bags).
Please call or return email with any questions.
Thank you, Jerry

Jerry Wohlgemuth- Technical Sales Representative-

Motorcycle Division

Öhlins USA, Inc.

703 S. Grove Street, Unit C

Hendersonville, NC 28792

Phone: (828)692-4525 ext. 313

Fax: (828)692-0595

http://www.ohlinsusa.com/us/

info@ohlinsusa.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.