Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a call from the Yamaha salesman about 2 pm today. They are un-crating a blue R3. Great, but problem is we had a heavy rain storm so I can't take my trade-in over today. The rain has passed, so maybe it will dry up and I can still make it over this evening. If not, I will head over tomorrow.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The next three days that I am off from work, the forecast calls for rain; it looks like I've waited months only to be further delayed by rain! My bike should be at the dealer in a few days...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Come on man rain can't stop us from riding.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The roads cleared up from the rain so I picked up my blue R3. I like it. I like that it is a small bike and I can flat foot it easily. I notice the slightly shorter wheel base as compared to the Ninja 300 too which means I don't have to reach quite so far to the grips as with the Ninja 300 (other factors involved here I know), along with the better sounding exhaust, more power and very smooth transmission. I don't think the speedo is quite right. I was going 80 mph at one time and it felt and seemed more like 75 judging from traffic flow. Yes, first gear is a little taller than the Ninja 300 first gear as someone reported. I also noticed the brakes are a little squishy but all in all it is a well-sorted bike.

I never purposely ride on wet roads although I have got caught several times. The reason is, I keep my bikes pristine and I immediately have to wash the dirty parts, dry, and re-0il the chain which took me about 2 hours getting up in the nether parts to remove water spots. Even though the roads were fairly dry, there were a few wet areas. I will break the bike in tomorrow and get the oil changed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Congrats on the bike! Good to hear that you like it compared to the Ninja. One question: how does the suspension compare to the Ninja? Is it noticeably softer?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RS125, the suspension feels the same. It's certainly not stiff like a race bike. I haven't thrashed the bike in corners and braked hard to test it yet. It handles and feels very similar to the Ninja 300 to me...light and nimble. Although the R3 is longer than the Ninja 300, due to the slightly shorter wheel base and perhaps other factors, it feels noticeably smaller when you are on it. The reach to the grips is not quite as far on the R3. I think the foot pegs are either more forward or lower, but in any case your knees aren't bent quite so much on the R3. The clutch pull on the R3 is harder than the Ninja 300 and brakes seem to engage better on the Ninja, but it might be you just need to apply the R3 brakes with a little more oomph. Mounting the R3 is a little harder. The seat is low, but the tail isn't so low, so you have to swing your right leg high to clear the pillion. That would only be an issue with short riders. When you move the R3 around by hand such as into and out of the garage, it feels a little top heavy, but I had the same feel with the Ninja 300 and other bikes. Weight feels the same as the Ninja 300. Gearing is definitely different. The Ninja 300 1st gear is only to get you off the line and is almost optional. Good thing there is a gear indicator on the R3 because it's harder to tell what gear you are in with not a lot of difference between 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. That may be due to the fact the transmission and engine is smooth and quiet and it's easy to rev up and down without the bike jerking from gear changes or engine braking. There isn't a clunk when you go into first gear or any other gear. I'm sure you could still lock up the rear wheel with aggressive downshifting though. Nothing stands out as bad on the bike. Fairings look good too. Photos are a little deceptive since the R3 is smaller and narrower than it might appear in photos. Maybe I'm dreaming, but I think I can feel the extra 25 cc. in all gears.

·
Registered
149 Posts
RS125, the suspension feels the same. It's certainly not stiff like a race bike. I haven't thrashed the bike in corners and braked hard to test it yet. It handles and feels very similar to the Ninja 300 to me...light and nimble. Although the R3 is longer than the Ninja 300, due to the slightly shorter wheel base and perhaps other factors, it feels noticeably smaller when you are on it. The reach to the grips is not quite as far on the R3. I think the foot pegs are either more forward or lower, but in any case your knees aren't bent quite so much on the R3. The clutch pull on the R3 is harder than the Ninja 300 and brakes seem to engage better on the Ninja, but it might be you just need to apply the R3 brakes with a little more oomph. Mounting the R3 is a little harder. The seat is low, but the tail isn't so low, so you have to swing your right leg high to clear the pillion. That would only be an issue with short riders. When you move the R3 around by hand such as into and out of the garage, it feels a little top heavy, but I had the same feel with the Ninja 300 and other bikes. Weight feels the same as the Ninja 300. Gearing is definitely different. The Ninja 300 1st gear is only to get you off the line and is almost optional. Good thing there is a gear indicator on the R3 because it's harder to tell what gear you are in with not a lot of difference between 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. That may be due to the fact the transmission and engine is smooth and quiet and it's easy to rev up and down without the bike jerking from gear changes or engine braking. There isn't a clunk when you go into first gear or any other gear. I'm sure you could still lock up the rear wheel with aggressive downshifting though. Nothing stands out as bad on the bike. Fairings look good too. Photos are a little deceptive since the R3 is smaller and narrower than it might appear in photos. Maybe I'm dreaming, but I think I can feel the extra 25 cc. in all gears.
Nice review!
The heavier top might be because of the cooling system mounted on the bike.
It feels heavier on top than an air cooled bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts