Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone here old enough to remember/ride the Yamaha RD 350/400 series of bikes? I'm pining for the nostalgia and thrill of a simple, fast, light, fun sport bike and the looks of the blue R3 and the parallel twin engine sure has me enamored. I'm a big proponent for the return to smaller affordable bikes here in the US.

I've owned dozens and dozens of bikes over the years. My latest project is the Rally Raid CB500X Adventure (a bunch of vids on YouTube-blancolirio), and am looking for a next project. I think it would be fun to mod up the R3 re Gregg Spears components and do some videos on the process.

So, would an R-3 revive the thrill of an RD350 from years gone by? What say ye old timers? lol

Thanks

Juan
Nevada City, CA.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had an RD250, not the 350, but is was fun, fast (for the time), and exciting. I did love 2-strokes. Doing some comparisons using old issues of Cycle World the R3 is both faster (top end) and quicker (acceleration) than the RD350 (yes the 350). Surprising since the R3 is a 4-stroke and the RD350 a 2-stroke, and has more displacement. Technology has improved! If my memory serves me right about the RD, my R3 handles a lot better. One disappointing fact in the comparison is that the RD350 was lighter.

I think the R3 exceeds the standards set by the RD350. I really enjoy riding the R3.

An "Old Timer",
Greg

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Is anyone here old enough to remember/ride the Yamaha RD 350/400 series of bikes? I'm pining for the nostalgia and thrill of a simple, fast, light, fun sport bike and the looks of the blue R3 and the parallel twin engine sure has me enamored. I'm a big proponent for the return to smaller affordable bikes here in the US.

I've owned dozens and dozens of bikes over the years. My latest project is the Rally Raid CB500X Adventure (a bunch of vids on YouTube-blancolirio), and am looking for a next project. I think it would be fun to mod up the R3 re Gregg Spears components and do some videos on the process.

So, would an R-3 revive the thrill of an RD350 from years gone by? What say ye old timers? lol

Thanks

Juan
Nevada City, CA.
Juan,

I'm just finishing up my version of the Rally Raid CB500X. Makes for a really nice, relatively light weight adventure bike. Photos soon....

·
Registered
732 Posts

Thanks

Juan
Nevada City, CA.
I'm not old enough, but still older and not a young pup. My deceased brother (R.I.P. Perry) was 9 years older than me. In the late eighties when I was a kid, he had a Yamaha RD400 I believe. I think it was a 2-stroke. I remember that it was white and loud, and like crazy fast. Maybe it was an RD350, but I think I remember it being an RD400.

That's how I got started riding. My brother gave me rides on the back of his Suzuki RM125, RD400 and GSXR750. I remember being almost freaked out being on the back of the RD400. That's when I started saving for a dirt bike and started riding.

I'm sad to say.....yes!:(
Yes, indeed. I just dropped down from a CBR600RR to the R3, and just love it. Not only is it very practical as an everyday bike and for commuting, but its just a **** joy to ride especially in the twisties.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I disagree with the previous post which states that "the RD350/400 RZ350 were way more faster than the R3". Using back issues of cycle world about the RD's, and current articles about the R3:

0-60 times:
RD350 5.9 sec
RD400 6.2 sec
R3 5.1 sec

Top speed
RD350 99 mph
RD400 98 mph (after 1/2 mile run)
R3 119 mph

The R3 is quicker and faster than the RD's. Technology has improved.

Note: The RZ350 IS quicker, but with a lower top end.

If you wonder where I got the back issues of Cycle World road tests, I subscribe to "Cover-to-Cover Cycle World" which has nearly all of the back issues online. Fun to look back and compare.

Web site: http://www.c2c.cycleworld.com/

Greg

Reactions: Juan Browne

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Back in the 70s a 2-stroke 300 almost had the same performance as a 4-stroke 600.

4-stroke technology has come a long way since then and now a 2-stroke 300 is equivalent to about a 450 4-stroke.

·
Registered
186 Posts

Thanks

Juan
Nevada City, CA.
If I'm not mistaken The early 1980's 350's were 2 cycle engines.

Reactions: Juan Browne

·
Registered
17 Posts
Started my bike career on a-72 Yamaha R5 350 in -77.
My wife inherited this bike and started her career in -85.
Now, 30 years and 18 bikes later she got a new blue R3, and she,s dying to try it.
Unfortunately the winter arrived before the bike so we got to wait for spring to arrive somtime in late april. She has previous owned bikes like GSX-R 750 F, CBR 400 RR, RVF 400 RR, RG 250 Gamma, Fazer 600, BMW F650GS (twin) CX 500 C, GS 750, GS 400 and others. She is now 58 yrs old, and as exited as ever over the new R3.
We don,t drive as fast as before, and we are both pretty sure that the R3 is a keeper.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, and that's what gave 'em (the RD series) such incredible acceleration performance back in the day. And I'm hoping the R-3 can replicate that "on the pipe" kinda acceleration when you ring her out...from what I've researched so far, she looks pretty close...plus all the added features of modern technology, comfort and reliability. JB

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have been wanting a light weight sport bike for a few years now. I owned a brand new 1975 RD-250B as my first street bike. A friend had a 650 Triumph and was shocked that I could accelerate about even with him, at least until about 90-95 mph where the 250 topped out. I followed up with a FZ-750 in '85. Fast bike but somehow the fun of pure motorcycling was missing. By that I mean being in the right gear to pass etc, the FZ was blindindingly quick in practically any gear. The R3 brings back the fun for me at least anyway.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Juan,

I'm just finishing up my version of the Rally Raid CB500X. Makes for a really nice, relatively light weight adventure bike. Photos soon....
Here are a couple shots of my 2013 CB500X that I've set up for adventure riding. Waiting for Spring and snowmelt to get up into the mountains here in Colorado.

Bought new as a leftover model in 2014 for $5,200. Have $7,200 total into it.

I added:
Front Fairings from a 2016 ABS model (I may also buy the 2016 side covers to extend the graphics)
Sava/Mitas MC-60 'Getaway' Rear Tire (mounted in 'Road' direction = 60% road/40% dirt, rears are good for around 5,000+ miles)
Conti TKC-80 Front Tire
SW-Motech ALU-RACK Rear Rack
SW-Motech Crash Bars
Delkevic DS-70 Carbon High-Mount Slip-on Exhaust
R&G Exhaust Slider
EVOTECH Radiator Guard
Adjustable Levers
FIAMM Horn
AEROTRIM Windshield Spoiler
Motorrad Planet Skid/Bash Plate
Adjustable Pegs
KAPPA 'Tanky' Tank Bag Mount
KAPPA LH200 Tank Bag
KAPPA WA404S Dry Pak 50 liter Waterproof Tail Bag
KAPPA K30 30 liter Monolock Rear Case
National Cycle 'Storage Pod' (fits on rear section of seat)
Giant Loop Stretch Polyurethane PRONGHORN Straps in 20", 24" and 26" lengths.
Sidestand Enlarger
SuperBrightLEDs Rear Brake/Flasher Bulb
Barkbusters Hand Guards w/end weights & skid plates
J-F-Customs/TopGaiters Leather Seat Cover (need to wet it down a couple times to shrink it to fit)
Fork Brace
Grafiti NOOTLE Phone/GPS Mount
Oxford Heated Grips
FendaExtenda Front Fender Extender

I have Double Take mirrors on order.

I would have liked to have added spoked wheels but they are very pricey and I think the cast ones will work fine for the riding I plan to do with the bike (Paved roads to get to the start of rides on: Unimproved dirt roads, fire roads, Forest Service roads and some trails).

CB500X 22.jpg

CB500X 24.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks good Fang!
Keep us posted on your Colorado adventures on the CB500X Riders Group on FB or on Advrider.

Colorado is definitely on my bucket list!

You got an R3 too?

Juan
Nevada City, Ca.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts